Nov 12, 2019, 09:12 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
I have basically done all of this accept for the upgraded hardware -

Frsky Sent me a X10 Express - I upgraded it and did extensive range testing (yes it was in RT mode) and checked relative RF levels in RT mode too as there were some strange reports of RSSI scaling differences ( never replicated in my shop)

I will do more (Full power) testing when the weather and time permits but I dont actually want to upgrade my X10S TX's however since the only hardware change concerning range is the module then there is no soldering required and the testing is low risk.

I will see if Frsky is interested in sending me an upgrade board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seilfly321
+
Yes, these are important criteria for those of us who fly sailplanes.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2019, 09:46 AM
For those interested in range testing and, particularly, RSSI variation, it might be insightful for me to publish a set of outcomes that I saw from testing a while back. It started out as a means of establishing whether or not transmitters that I had in for servicing were performing properly.

What I did was record the RSSI reported by the Tx for 9 separate transmitters and 6 receivers. All of the recording was done in the space of an hour. The receivers and transmitters were all using the latest firmware, were always in identical locations and antenna orientation. The range was about 20m. The only variation was the transmitter hardware. (I wish I knew how to format a table here.....)

RSSI
TX Number X8R(whisker ANT) D8RII X4R D4RII X8R (PCB ANT)

X9D+ (1) 73 89 88 85 88
(2) 76 84 87 88 87
(3) 79 90 88 89 90
(4) 78 88 86 82-87 89
(5) 78 82 84 81 86
X9D (1) 67 71-83 73-82 81-85 85-88
(2) 73 78 80 81 81-88
(3) 73 77 79 79 80
X12S 69 81 81 79 85

I only mention this to show the variability of any RSSI if used as a means of extrapolating to full range.
Nov 12, 2019, 10:23 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Sub 30 meters has always shown considerable variability int he RSSI metrics the systems give us...

This is why I always add in a full power to link failure test because thats the real meat in our investigations - how far can we really fly.

"RSSI" is just a construct in the way Frsky has deployed it. Thats not an offense in any way -it is just how they deployed it as a reference for remaining range.
Nov 12, 2019, 05:55 PM

Tests ACCESS upgrade module: new firmware

Hey!

just to let you know, I tested the upgrade module tonight, this time with the new firmware that has been published on the 11/11/19.
At first I was confident that everything was ok, as the module stops the authentication as soon as one request has been correctly answered.

And then I started looking at what would happen if the radio would crash into emergency mode (does not matter when, this resets the module).

In a nutshell, it takes 5s more to recover as actually necessary, and as the normal X10 would take. Normally, a restart into emergency mode happens within the same second. With the ACCESS upgrade module, you add up 5s on top because the module first starts to work once the auth has been started, which is 5s after power-up. And in case that very first would be hit by a transmission error, then it's another 5s on top, basically bringing it to 10s without control.

It's a bit late now for us in Europe, but we are preparing a video to show you what happens. And believe me, it's not really nice...

In my opinion, this will make yet another new firmware necessary.
Nov 12, 2019, 06:03 PM
Deja vu all over again. Trash can for this piece of crap.
Nov 12, 2019, 06:07 PM
You know the drill. More early version hiccups.

It ain't over til it's over. Then you can fly it.
Nov 12, 2019, 06:10 PM
More like full scale vomitus. POC.

Someone or something may get injured or damaged.

That ain’t no hiccup.
Nov 12, 2019, 07:16 PM
Where are the ARCHER receivers I need to buy like 5 asap. Probably not a good idea too get them so early but I'm going to do it anyway
Nov 12, 2019, 08:19 PM
Rick
What kind of circumstances might trigger a crash into emergency mode?
Nov 12, 2019, 08:44 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Electrostatic discharge, SD card problem, bad battery connection, buggy LUA script, OpenTX bug...
Nov 12, 2019, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Electrostatic discharge, SD card problem, bad battery connection, buggy LUA script, OpenTX bug...
Ahhh... this takes me back to the good 'ol 72mhz days of "I ain't got it!!!!"
Nov 12, 2019, 09:13 PM
Act of God, act of the public enemy, or whatever.
Nov 12, 2019, 11:02 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert1
Where are the ARCHER receivers I need to buy like 5 asap. Probably not a good idea too get them so early but I'm going to do it anyway
Supposed to be released sometime this month.

Hopefully the ISRM upgrade kerfluffle hasn't put a kink in that
Nov 12, 2019, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Supposed to be released sometime this month.

Hopefully the ISRM upgrade kerfluffle hasn't put a kink in that
Hopefully, they are not putting authentication into receivers...
Nov 13, 2019, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline
Ahhh... this takes me back to the good 'ol 72mhz days of "I ain't got it!!!!"
Here in the UK the licensed band for r/c flying was 27 MHz. That was fine till the film "Convoy" came out and people started importing CB radios that transmitted (illegally) on the same band

After a few years we were allowed to pay to have all our radios converted to 35 MHz instead ... just in time for the CB radio craze to die out!

Convoy • Theme Song (Film Version) • C.W. McCall (4 min 0 sec)
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review

Quick Reply