Oct 22, 2019, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
Wayne, I share your perspective.

Increasingly the tone is attack, attack, attack on RCG and FG. Attacks on both companies and forum members. Civility has gone out the window and everyone is so negative that the forums are actually turning me off the hobby. Tons of cry-babies who want everything they ever purchased to be forever up-gradable (for free) displaying zero loyalty...e.g. "if company X does this, I'm going to dump their products", etc. as some sort of ridiculous threat.
I agree, and I don't. Forums exist in order for people to exchange opinions, knowledge and ideas. The current discussion has been civil and it's a bit hard for many people to react to a negative action with positivity.

The issue for me is not whether FRSKY has the right to protect it's IP, of course it does and that is indisputable. The issue is whether or not OpenTx should accept the mechanism chosen by FRSKY to do that into it's software. The basic principles underlying OpenTx are, at least as I understand them, in conflict with this proposed PR.

It's not the fact that the code to be included is closed, although that should be debated too. It's the fact that the underlying intention of the PR is at odds, as has been outlined already in previous posts, with the open nature of the OpenTx ecosystem. If FRSKY wants to build mechanisms to prevent theft of it's IP it should do so in it's own systems, not take shortcuts by embedding them in OpenTx.

In regard to the commentary about FRSKY abandoning OpenTx. The major part of any transmitter system is the firmware, the computer programs that run both the RF connection and the user interface. FRSKY has, since 2015, been developing it's own alternative to OpenTx and this has now finally reached a point where some serious users are saying that it is acceptable. This gives some idea of the amount of work associated with the development of the UI component of a modern computer radio.

As we know, using OpenTx in a newly developed transmitter can save significantly on development leadtimes and costs. It did so for FRSKY in 2013 and many times since, and is now doing so for others. If FRSKY was to use only it's own firmware in transmitters in the future there would be left a market gap ready to be filled by competitors.

I think that the future of OpenTx is well assured, the only potential threat that I can perceive is that the core group of developers finds more interest in doing something else.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2019, 12:38 AM
I have been using Frsky products since 2011 when they introduced their DIY modules. I purchased a number of these to convert my JR TXs from 36Mhz. Later I moved to a X9D, but continued to buy the DIY module to convert a few vintage TXs for use in old timers.

I find it a bit ironic that a company that started out selling only modules (and receivers) specifically for use in other manufacturers TXs is now actively using hardware to prevent their ISRM module being used in other manufacturers TXs.

It also seems to be an odd commercial decision - if they can sell an X9 lite for US$70, then surely it must be much much more profitable to sell just the ISRM for US$50? and each additional ISRM sold (for say use in a Jumper), will simply result in further purchases of genuine Frsky ACCESS capable RXs into the future.
Oct 23, 2019, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshellim
FrSky would be nuts to move away from OpenTx, it's the sole option on 80% of their tx lineup, with a large installed user base, and FrOS isn't and never will be a viable alternative. Their best bet is to improve their Tx's (ergos in particular), develop ACCESS as a premium line, whilst continuing to support ACCST/D16. And avoid launch cockups.
and they all lived happily ever after.
Oct 23, 2019, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrs
I have been using Frsky products since 2011 when they introduced their DIY modules. I purchased a number of these to convert my JR TXs from 36Mhz. Later I moved to a X9D, but continued to buy the DIY module to convert a few vintage TXs for use in old timers.

I find it a bit ironic that a company that started out selling only modules (and receivers) specifically for use in other manufacturers TXs is now actively using hardware to prevent their ISRM module being used in other manufacturers TXs.

It also seems to be an odd commercial decision - if they can sell an X9 lite for US$70, then surely it must be much much more profitable to sell just the ISRM for US$50? and each additional ISRM sold (for say use in a Jumper), will simply result in further purchases of genuine Frsky ACCESS capable RXs into the future.
i think the idea of modules may just to be get people to move brands, spektrum no longer seem to make modules but they did them for JR module bays and also futaba radios, and they never did DSMX versions. if i could have found an FRsky module that fitted my Futaba 9ZAP WC2 and gave me smart port telemetry and a voice i'd be using that over an X9D or Horus running open TX, i do like my Horus ( pretty screen ) but it really needs curves or chamfers on the case so it is comfy in my hands. the X9D was ergonomically much better. the X11 with Horus guts would do me i reckon.
Oct 23, 2019, 02:36 AM
@ ozrs

Jeti did exactly the same way !
Oct 23, 2019, 03:03 AM
FJH
FJH
@mpjf01

I comppletely agree with what you wrote. Nothing to add.
Oct 23, 2019, 05:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmia
I'm a bit confused.I want to use a IrangeX Plus multimodule with my Horus 10s express.Will this only work with open tx?I installed open Tx Companion, but when I open the radio profile for this radio, the multimodule option does not appear.Any suggestions?
It is built in to all builds by default now.

Mike
Oct 23, 2019, 06:12 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk

It's pretty simple. FrSky is a radio company. They have always worked closely with their users to try and bring you great power at great prices.
-Wayne
You mean like this? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ay-Transmitter
Oct 23, 2019, 06:15 AM
RCAddiction - I just want to say BIG thank you!

I had same empty feeling yesterday and your post made me think again and reflect upon my own activity last few years.

Rotozuk (Wayne) also hit the right spot when saying that we have affordable capabilities never heard before and that might made us spoiled a bit - and lawyer talk, crying and telling companies what to do is for sure not my idea of hobby.

Perhaps mpjf01 did a much better job of explaining things - but I can not agree more on one thing with you - "Too Many Toys" is already taken, but I should also search for availability of "Too Many Threads To Follow" or "Too Many Open projects" and definitely "Too Much Time Spent On Keyboard" - and as result increasingly less time spent on actual building and flying.

So this will be good point to pause this a bit and get my newly acquired X9 Lite and DLG and go do something better for my body and soul..
Hopefully then I will have clearer mind to play with some really fun stuff on my X10 (hmm, funny - as name of this thread should suggest, so.. )
Thanks again.
Last edited by Darko FC; Oct 23, 2019 at 06:20 AM.
Oct 23, 2019, 06:48 AM
Well, it is approaching winter for many of us, so a fair consideration of simple issues passes the time.

Yes, of course, let us eat cake.
Oct 23, 2019, 07:06 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
That makes sense. Unfortunately the little rubber plugs work their way out easily and I know eventually one will fall out when I don't notice and get lost.
There are plugs on flaps on the inside that will block the holes.
Oct 23, 2019, 10:28 AM

Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrs

I am a little apprehensive about not being able to come up with a little negative about the new system.
I have an original X10 bought one ISRM card that was supposed to upgrade it to ACCESS, but no it won't (not completely).
Also bought R9M2019 which would then work with an access radio, but it does not since my radio is not a full access radio.
This has cost a lot of money that is now wasted. This is what makes me a little frustrated!
Have used Frsky for many years and promoted this too, but now I am disappointed
Last edited by seilfly321; Oct 23, 2019 at 10:34 AM.
Oct 23, 2019, 10:49 AM
Well, someone with a vested interest says be happy....

They do a good job, but when they don’t, well, it’s a mess.
Oct 23, 2019, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seilfly321
I am a little apprehensive about not being able to come up with a little negative about the new system.
I have an original X10 bought one ISRM card that was supposed to upgrade it to ACCESS, but no it won't (not completely).
Also bought R9M2019 which would then work with an access radio, but it does not since my radio is not a full access radio.
This has cost a lot of money that is now wasted. This is what makes me a little frustrated!
Have used Frsky for many years and promoted this too, but now I am disappointed
Exactly.
Yours is not a negative post, just an observational one based upon what has been going on with many X10 upgraders.

The new ACCESS radios seem fine for the most part, and they seem to work well with the ACCESS receivers.

So it seems to me that FrSky's emphasis RIGHT NOW should be to sort out the X10 Classic upgrade boards to take them to ACCESS capability.
If they could make the many former X10/S customers happy with that, I think they would have earned some redemption.
Oct 23, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline
Exactly.
Yours is not a negative post, just an observational one based upon what has been going on with many X10 upgraders.

The new ACCESS radios seem fine for the most part, and they seem to work well with the ACCESS receivers.

So it seems to me that FrSky's emphasis RIGHT NOW should be to sort out the X10 Classic upgrade boards to take them to ACCESS capability.
If they could make the many former X10/S customers happy with that, I think they would have earned some redemption.
Yes, !
Thanks for the understanding!
I think there are many with me who have this problem / challenge

Quick Reply