Oct 22, 2019, 04:09 PM
I really do not understand the negativity of the radio section here on RC Groups. I see this for all brands here. That is not the reason we all come to RCGroups. I think we all want to enjoy our hobby, I know I do. The radio systems we all use are complex, and all brands have made some mistakes along the way.

Don't know what a lot of the recent posts are about patents a such.. Seems like a bunch of wild eyed speculation trying to upset people.

It's pretty simple. FrSky is a radio company. They have always worked closely with their users to try and bring you great power at great prices. As a result of their methods they have completely changed the RC market forever. Who would have guessed we could buy 24 channel radios with telemetry, speech and unmatched range and reliability for as little as $69? That is insane! They have done many things to make this hobby more affordable and safer for you.

Yeah, I sell FrSky gear, but I also like and respect other brands. It is great that we all have so many choices.

Hope this clears things up a bit and adjust the perspective a bit.

-Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2019, 04:24 PM
Why bother with a patent? So one can protect their investment. I believe Frsky is fully entitled to protect its property. That is neither negative nor anything else implied, or actual.

No reasonable person gets upset when someone protects what is theirs, whether it be a car, a home, furniture or a patent/copyright.

Claim jumpers increase costs for all of this, and Frsky can’t hold the line on its prices if there is claim jumping.

No rational person can or would argue with your proposition that Frsky is an industry leader, that changed the industry.

I’m going back to the Holiday Inn....
Oct 22, 2019, 04:45 PM
My take is that FrSky is on the cusp of a big rethink, likely not of its own choosing. Rightly or wrongly, it seems that things we know and love about the company's work may now be vulnerable e.g. support for open source, or backwards and forwards compatibility for hardware.

Are such fears well-founded?

Possibly not.

However, in fairness, the ACCESS roll-out has been a work in progress. There has been considerable chopping and changing, including reversals on important issues such as updates for existing transmitters and forward support for existing protocols.

In the absence of certainty, anxiety can manifest as negativity e.g. "If FrSky changes this or that, I'm outta here."

In a backhanded way, that negativity may be a sign of attachment to the company's products. At least, I think that may hold true for some here.
Oct 22, 2019, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed
To mount their tray. Not a good solution. https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-cnc...-x10-x10s.html
That makes sense. Unfortunately the little rubber plugs work their way out easily and I know eventually one will fall out when I don't notice and get lost.
Oct 22, 2019, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru

What will happen if someone figures out and publishes a means to put an ACCESS module in a Jumper T16?
If they are smart and do so anonymously or are out of FrSky's legal reach like the russian who hacked DSMX was out of Spektrum's reach then absolutely nothing. Once the genie gets out of the bottle it is impossible to stuff it back in.
Oct 22, 2019, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
Your X10S Express ISRM firmware must match the firmware version used in the receiver. Should all be V1.1.3.

Mike
So wait from now on we have to worry about what firmware revision all of our receivers use? Does this also apply to ACCST or just ACCESS?
Oct 22, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
So wait from now on we have to worry about what firmware revision all of our receivers use? Does this also apply to ACCST or just ACCESS?
Just ACCESS and in this case v1.1.3 was a major update.

Mike
Oct 22, 2019, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
If they are smart and do so anonymously or are out of FrSky's legal reach like the russian who hacked DSMX was out of Spektrum's reach then absolutely nothing. Once the genie gets out of the bottle it is impossible to stuff it back in.
And then what happens? I mean, what are the consequences down the line?

It's all hypothetical at this point. And I hope it stays that way. But if it doesn't ...
Oct 22, 2019, 05:18 PM
I hope someone will wake me up when the x10(s) classic ISRM upgrade module plays well with OpenTx. No way am I ever going to FrOs just for Access.

As to all the folks jumping up and down about how mean Frsky was to make sure the RF module only works in Frsky products, get over it already
Oct 22, 2019, 05:22 PM
TTSAutomator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Thanks for the confirmation. The Bing one doesn't work for me (I can select a voice, but nothing happens on 'preview') ... I see there's a 'header string' for it in the Settings screen (along with the region for Amazon)?
The Bing voice takes a bit of work to use, as it needs a per-user authentication string. That can be obtained by visiting the Bing translate website and manually inspecting the data transferred between your PC and their server, extracting the required information, and putting it in that 'header string' field. Generally not worth the effort.
Oct 22, 2019, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
The Bing voice takes a bit of work to use, as it needs a per-user authentication string. That can be obtained by visiting the Bing translate website and manually inspecting the data transferred between your PC and their server, extracting the required information, and putting it in that 'header string' field. Generally not worth the effort.
Ah that explains it - many thanks!
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Oct 22, 2019, 05:57 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Landru - I really think (ok I hope) that the market is maturing as well as the MFR's and if someone does rip off the protocol and uses it to their advantage, I would expect a few things to happen

1) Market backlash - i never endorse that kind of market play.

2) a classic inability for said hack_co to stay in step with Frsky - True innovation Vs simply ripping off a protocol is vastly different and I cant see any MFR going to the extent to rip off the protocol and then get ahead of Frsky in terms of innovation...it would be so eay to keep them on their heels from an agility perspective if Frsky wanted to. It would take specific consulting from a security perspective but its totally within the capabilities of Frsky to thwart that if required.

Bottom line is that I wont buy hack_co gear and most wont either and aside from Samsung, there are not many copy cat companies surviving for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru
And then what happens? I mean, what are the consequences down the line?

It's all hypothetical at this point. And I hope it stays that way. But if it doesn't ...
Oct 22, 2019, 06:49 PM
32.4316 N, 80.6698 W
Bing? I didn't know anyone still knew what it was. With emphasis on "was".
Oct 22, 2019, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
I really do not understand the negativity of the radio section here on RC Groups. I see this for all brands here. That is not the reason we all come to RCGroups. I think we all want to enjoy our hobby, I know I do.
-Wayne
Wayne, I share your perspective.

Increasingly the tone is attack, attack, attack on RCG and FG. Attacks on both companies and forum members. Civility has gone out the window and everyone is so negative that the forums are actually turning me off the hobby. Tons of cry-babies who want everything they ever purchased to be forever up-gradable (for free) displaying zero loyalty...e.g. "if company X does this, I'm going to dump their products", etc. as some sort of ridiculous threat.

Last week I actually was so turned off by the negative attitudes that I began thinking of just getting out. Sort of the opposite of what RC forums used to be about. If we are turning off any long-time hobbyists, what chance to do we have with these negative attitudes to attract new people into RC?

I'm going to try to take some time away from these forums for a while in order to get re-energized once again about RC. Maybe more of the keyboard jockeys ought to get out flying, do some building, and perhaps do less typing.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:56 PM
I'm a bit confused.I want to use a IrangeX Plus multimodule with my Horus 10s express.Will this only work with open tx?I installed open Tx Companion, but when I open the radio profile for this radio, the multimodule option does not appear.Any suggestions?

Quick Reply