Jul 15, 2017, 05:17 PM
Adam
I wish they would have moved SF closer to the side of the case or at least further toward the back. When used for DLG you might possibly accidentally hit SE when pushing SF during the spin. It can be dealt with by making sure SE is in the position so that it is toward the front of the transmitter so that hitting it doesn't do anything but I had to reprogram to make that change.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2017, 12:03 AM
It's so ugly but all the features make up for it Literally it's terrible. But for me it will be like the Horus which I got and really didn't care for.

It would be nice to have another set of trims on your 9D like and SD10 but you could convert a couple switches to serve that purpose.

The rotary encoder is nice though having used one on my 9E and the Horus. In a way it's faster to punch through the menus and in a way it's not.

Color screen is great but it's big and bulky. I would rather do without it but then it would just be a X7 with a couple more knobs and switches wouldn't it?
Jul 16, 2017, 07:56 AM
I may sell my X12s for this...I like my X12S...but the switch location and ergonomics are a little "off" and I haven't gotten totally used to them. Love the TX overall. I would miss having the screen at the top, but moving the sliders to the side (which I prefer) and making it a bit lighter while retaining the aluminum gimbals is perfect.

Probably will pick one up and play with them side by side then decide.
Jul 16, 2017, 08:23 AM
Adam
I really like the screen on top of the x12s and the option to fly without an external antenna. Maybe there is an internal antenna too with the X10? (probably not). The internal antenna works fine with my DLG thermal soaring usage. I am still hopeful for the motion sensors in the OpenTX firmware to become implemented in the X12s at some point too.
Jul 16, 2017, 10:57 AM
God how awful.

This industry just doesn't get it.
Jul 16, 2017, 04:38 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
I really like the screen on top of the x12s and the option to fly without an external antenna. Maybe there is an internal antenna too with the X10? (probably not). The internal antenna works fine with my DLG thermal soaring usage. I am still hopeful for the motion sensors in the OpenTX firmware to become implemented in the X12s at some point too.
Well, that's my biggest fear. Yet another version of opentx, needing to support two extra trims for one thing. Perhaps gimbal switches. And a color display. What else?

The Horus has never been really into the Lua scene I think. It's to complicated for the average basic programmer that can use the X9 and x7 simple Lua interface. I hope they stick to the taranis and x7 Lua interaction setup.

Lack of interoperability as now the case with x7 x9 and x12 should be the first thing to fix. No model conversions. Just inactive options by a proper default value assigment strategy. Portability of model backups, and finally a proper sensor discovery system that allows me to just rediscover the same sensors for another receiver/plane, so I can actually bind a copy of my model setup to the second plane and fly.

As a dlg pilot, having several identical planes, that I have to rebind based on which will be my primary, all this is a real pain in the ...

Perhaps they need to sponsor the opentx team somewhat more to get to that.

As for now, I'll stick with what I have. No X10 or X12 for me.

P.s. as long as frsky relies on opentx, we are in a dangerous zone. People are getting older, change habits etc. And the core opentx team is only as big as it is.

Opentx needs only one good priced radio for a certain spec set. Anything reasonably comparable to other opentx systems won't appeal to the developers, since they are technically inspired, and not commercially.

The Horus has a colour display. They liked that and developed the widgets usr interface.

The X7 is real cheap, but does it really offer anything different than the taranis?

Frsky is diversifying commercially. Should opentx follow? Can they follow? Will they follow? Do they want to follow?

All interesting, and commercially frsky is in risky business with opentx.

Just my cup of tea.
Jul 16, 2017, 06:09 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope
As a horus owner Im sure glad they didnt add more features over the 12 . i wouldnt be happy . Is it just me but it looks a little plasticy and cheap . It may well not be the case in real life . i must admit i wasnt keen on the Horus looks at 1st but now i like it . Cheers
I have only ever seen one Taranis, and it was about the most plasticy and cheap thing I have ever seen/held. The guy that had it was flying though, so I guess that's something.

They are extremely rare here in these parts, at least in the two clubs I fly with.

This new one will probably be of about the same quality, but it will work for a cheap price, and that's all that some people want.
Jul 16, 2017, 07:10 PM
You know what FrSky doesn't get?

It doesn't get that people don't want to fly with the clubs.

So the whole effort of making a TX that doesn't "look/feel plasticy or cheap" in the eyes of clubbers is just a loser. It's just a losing effort in a subjective battle where the beholder only wants show off his status or something.

Most sane people don't care about that.
Jul 16, 2017, 09:48 PM
My take on it is that FRSKY is responding to the many requests made to dealers, and here and on other forums, FB etc, (particularly since the Horus was released) that it should update the X9D with better gymbals, colour screen and better switches. A reaction to customer feedback. Obviously the arrangement won't please everybody as this thread is already demonstrating.
Jul 16, 2017, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla

God how awful.
the screen border makes the X10 looking quite ugly but Flysky radios are even worse https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...46&postcount=1
Jul 17, 2017, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Craig
I have only ever seen one Taranis, and it was about the most plasticy and cheap thing I have ever seen/held. The guy that had it was flying though, so I guess that's something.

They are extremely rare here in these parts, at least in the two clubs I fly with.

This new one will probably be of about the same quality, but it will work for a cheap price, and that's all that some people want.
A agree. That is why i went for a Spektrum DX8 back then instead of a Taranis. The biggest mistake I'Ve ever made. The taranis looks crappy but it is one of the best radios out there with more features than radios tripple its price.
I had to sell my DX8 and migrate 7 models over to FrSky now.
I own a Horus since last Fall and couldn't be happier. It costs more than a Taranis but you get the nice high quality feel from it. For me it is a keeper now.
Now connection losses or issues since I own it wich i cannot say about the Spektrum system eventhough I ran additional sats on any model.

OpenTx is different and needs some learning before you get it but it is a brilliant system. Once you get it you can't go back really.
Jul 17, 2017, 03:04 AM
Radiolink give the same hardware three times less expensive...
Jul 17, 2017, 04:08 AM
It looks absolutely awesome.

I'm really interested from a hybrid pinching perspective, the Taranis is nice but I'm not sure it fully suits my hands. I also have no desire to switch out to opposing manufacturers!
Jul 17, 2017, 05:30 AM
I love it when a brand take the time to design and release a new product and all everyone can do is pull it apart and moan about what they don't like or what doesn't suit them.

Glad to see the 2 Mikes and Matt above actually have positive things to say (sorry if i missed anyone else out)
Jul 17, 2017, 05:54 AM
People just like to moan and criticise tbh. I didn't even read the posts as I knew it'd be like that.

If people don't like it, they don't have to buy it - sometimes that is forgotten xD

I really like the colour scheme, the removal of the features I'd not want/like in the Horus, and hopefully a price tag to suit. My only issue is I don't know if it would be comfortable to use.

Quick Reply