This thread is privately moderated by slogo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 28, 2004, 04:30 PM
Trader Rating: 93
Thread OP

WTB-Model Diesel Fuel

Looking for diesel fuel for P.A.W. engine bench running. Only need approx. one quart. Please PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2004, 10:34 PM
Trader Rating: 35
Battery Junkie
Why not make your own from equal parts either, kerosene, and castor oil?
Nov 07, 2004, 12:17 PM
Trader Rating: 0
Yes, make your own. I struggled with diesel, trying to get fuel, making my own etc. I mixed my own using automotive quick start ether, hardware store kesosene and castor using the 1/3rd all ingredients formula. However, I didn't have much luck. Two problems emerged, the lack of an ignition booster like amyl nitrate and quality ether.

Most quick starts list ether but also list other volatiles in the ingredients. If the stuff is only 50% ether, its not much good.

Amyl Nitrate is a heart stimulant sold by the pharmacy. Nearly impossible to get.

The solution to the ether problem is to use John Deere quick start becasue they guarantee 80% ether. The solution to the ignition improver is to use MEKP, methy-ethyl-ketone-peroxide,,,, glass resin hardener.

Your John Deere dealer with have the ether, the hardware store will have the kerosene and the MEKP and your hoby shop will have the castor. You can get Klotz Benol, which is a highly refined castor for racing engines from your bike or snowmobile outlet.

The mix that I use on my Norvels is 39 ether, 39 kerosene, 20 oil and 2% MEKP. I have experimented with 30 ether but this makes the compression setting more sensitive.

I've used this formula on various vintage diesels like PAW and Frog and they like it but all were well run in. I would recommend that if you're breaking in a new, vintage diesel, you up the oil content to 30% and reduce the kero and ether by equal amounts.

A caution. The MEKP is EXTREMELY hazardous if you get it in your eyes. One drop and you'll lose that eye in an instant. However, handling is not any more dangerous than when you use it to mix up resin. JUST BE CAREFUL, use safety glasses and wash your hands after handling. Once mixed, the stuff is so diluted, the issue isn't so serious. You really don't want to splash fuel of ANY type in your eyes anyway.

Hope that helps.
Nov 13, 2004, 10:42 PM
Trader Rating: 58
No retreat no surrender

Diesel fuel

Slogo, you can get the fuel from Dr. Diesel. His name is Eric Clutton and I believe he is in Tullahoma Tennessee. He is also a great source of information for all things concerning model diesels. Good luck! Jim H

Quick Reply