How fuelproof are Zar polyurethanes? - RC Groups
Jul 12, 2017, 04:39 PM
Discussion

How fuelproof are Zar polyurethanes?

Recently, have been using both Zar's water-based and oil based polyurethanes to attach fiberglass to wing center sections and are considering them (especially the oil based polyurethane) as exterior varnishes. Does anyone have any experience with how fuel proof these are?

Tom K
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2017, 09:16 AM
Brighto?
I just applied Minwax oil based polyurethane as a coating on Solartex. I found that the solvents in the varnish can loosen the adhesive but I did like the way the weave was filled. So far it looks ok but I'll know more after the engine run. BTW, this is my first use of Solartex so the jury is still out.

I applied it as a fuel proofer over my Charger's decals but was not happy with the yellowing.
Jul 15, 2017, 09:54 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest
I just applied Minwax oil based polyurethane as a coating on Solartex. I found that the solvents in the varnish can loosen the adhesive but I did like the way the weave was filled. So far it looks ok but I'll know more after the engine run. BTW, this is my first use of Solartex so the jury is still out.

I applied it as a fuel proofer over my Charger's decals but was not happy with the yellowing.
I've used the Minwax oil based polyurethane, too. It held up to glow fuel, but I always clean up raw fuel spills immediately.

I have no direct knowledge of the Zar product, but I assume that it would be similar to Minwax Polyurethane.

All oil based products will eventually yellow. When using polyurethane as a top coat, I choose the colors underneath with that in mind.

The yellowing is virtually undetectable over darker colors, and over orange and yellow.
Last edited by TomCrump; Jul 15, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Oct 26, 2017, 10:23 AM
Have you guys used the spray bombs Minwax poly? The sell it in spray cans which would make praying it easier
Oct 26, 2017, 01:18 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723
Have you guys used the spray bombs Minwax poly? The sell it in spray cans which would make praying it easier
The problem I had with rattle can spray has been the inconsistency of the pressure. I had to pretty much throw away a couple of can of Minwax water based polyurethane because it was spitting/splattering way too much. Now I buy a regular can and push the liquid through an airbrush and compressor setup.

However the typical Rustoleum and Krylon rattle cans have worked fairly well. I only had problem with the Minwax.

BTW I am only commenting on the rattle can and not the fuel proof ability. I would also want to know what paints from the hardware store are fuel proofed. Especially for gasoline.

I am running out of my inventory of K & B epoxy paint.
Oct 26, 2017, 02:43 PM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Which poly, the Polycryllic or the polyurethane ?

I use the polyurethane spray bombs. I'm pleased with the way that they spray.

In my opinion, they sprays as well as Rustoleum, and better than Krylon.

The polyurethane adds a measure of glow fuel resistance, too.

In my experience. most aerosols are suitable for gas powered models, with Krylon being the exception.

The models pictured below, were sprayed with Rustoleum aerosol cans, and clear coated with Minwax Polyurethane spray cans.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:57 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_flier
Recently, have been using both Zar's water-based and oil based polyurethanes to attach fiberglass to wing center sections and are considering them (especially the oil based polyurethane) as exterior varnishes. Does anyone have any experience with how fuel proof these are?

Tom K
I've had great results with this if you're looking for a water based clear fuel proof final coat over water based color coats

https://www.systemthree.com/products...ethane-topcoat

two examples with the clear satin over latex

good luck
Latest blog entry: Charge station
Oct 30, 2017, 09:58 AM
Expensive!
Oct 31, 2017, 02:14 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Quote:
Expensive!
You must be looking at the gallon price,,, a 4oz jar is only $5,, seeing as you need to cut it 50-50 with water to sprary it, I didn't even used a half jar to seal the kingfisher,, this stuff is the opposite of expensive, especially when you factor in the low cost of using the latex,, I don't think it cost me over $20 to paint the 80" span Zero shown and I still have enough green and orange paint to paint it over again

p.s.
Don't forget to get the crosslinker additive
Last edited by scale_only; Oct 31, 2017 at 02:20 PM.