Jan 02, 2020, 09:09 AM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
Well it looks like I'm back on track after a long and arduous servo hunt. I swore off plastic gears, then realized 4.5g metal gear digitals are tough to find with an 8mm case.

Six JX DHV56MG servos just showed up from Banggood. Smooth, jitter-free, and the gear lash is as tight as you can possibly ask for, which is beautiful.

Now it's time to finish these lil u250g beasties... That's a full-house pattern ship capable of 100+mph, and the wing is gunning for twice that. Has anyone done 200mph under 200g yet?

Thanks for the servo tip.. always looking to try new ones.
That motor looks huge on that wing!
I would doubt a 200g plane has gone close to 200mph, but that thing could be the first.
Latest blog entry: 250 gram auw speed!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2020, 07:52 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx
Thanks for the servo tip.. always looking to try new ones.
That motor looks huge on that wing!
I would doubt a 200g plane has gone close to 200mph, but that thing could be the first.
The Germans have gotten 200 with 250g planes if I'm not mistaken. I ran the numbers for what's necessary to get into that speed range with a smaller, love lighter plane... utterly terrifying numbers...the planes would border on unflyable because of nasty launch habits and poor visibility from the small size.
Jan 04, 2020, 04:54 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
It's not easy, especially in fast passes. If the plane is visible, that means it's deviating.

This wing is sort of a test bed for an FPV version. I originally designed it around a smaller motor, but I guess it's getting the bigger motor. My sole focus is straight-line speed, so I'm trying to develop metastatic designs to use in lieu of massive torsional stiffness, even if finding out what works means I have to explode some wings.

My new rule is "no unnecessary strength"
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Jan 05, 2020, 10:17 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
l'm trying to develop metastatic designs to use in lieu of massive torsional stiffness, even if finding out what works means I have to explode some wings.

My new rule is "no unnecessary strength"
This is terribly irresponsible. I like it.

Here's my own take... 14" span, room for a 6s 300 HV. I don't like the proportions...trying to decide whether to stretch the fuse or what...the root chord is starting to get dictated by the length of the battery bay.
Jan 24, 2020, 08:28 PM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP

24l

This 24" is my favorite under 250g.
181g/6.3ounce with 450 4s.
Tmotor F20 3250kv, F30 esc.
Video coming..
Jan 27, 2020, 01:43 AM
Mike,

Hey mate - is that the one you posted with the rough dimensions of a while back?

The plane looks sensational and looking forward to the video.

All the Best

Danny

P.S - Does this thing have a rudder?
Jan 27, 2020, 09:50 PM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man
Mike,

Hey mate - is that the one you posted with the rough dimensions of a while back?

The plane looks sensational and looking forward to the video.

All the Best

Danny

P.S - Does this thing have a rudder?

Thanks!

Yes, this is a refined version of my 24" light.
These fly at 160-180 grams, limited to 450 4s.
The heavy 24" versions are up to 250g, and have run 350 mah 8s.

No rudder, just a piece of carbon to stiffen the fin.
Jan 27, 2020, 11:25 PM
Mike,

Excellent work - looking forward to the video. I'm currently tied up renovating a house right now but looking forward to building mine!

All the Best

Danny
Feb 05, 2020, 11:13 AM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
These jets run 12s systems.
The Avanti hits 160+ on GPS.

On 6s this 28" Shark will keep up or pass the Avanti with the $12 Emax Eco 2707.

On 8s it will quickly catch up and pass that jet in a comical manor.

I hope to see more people adopt the light 8s setup.
The Germans seem to be making the most of 6s setups in 250g planes over the last year.
8s delivers more performance if one does not mind going over 250g.
(Under 250g. 8s, requires a 350 mah pack.)
This 28" is flies at 306g and uses 650mah 75c.
Last edited by MikeRx; Feb 05, 2020 at 01:08 PM.
Feb 05, 2020, 11:33 AM
For flying out loud!
I've just finished another <250g plane it runs on an 8s 350mah GNB lipo

https://lukeattubato.com/250kmh-under-250g-v2

It hit 250kph flat and level on its second flight, and hopefully it'll be going quicker soon
Feb 05, 2020, 01:11 PM
For flying out loud!
sorry, I got that wrong, I'm using an 8s 450mah pack, I've still managed to keep it under 250g, with fpv, though.

I seem to remember I wanted to get a 4s 350mah pack, but couldn't find one, I'll have to make one, or do 9s
Feb 15, 2020, 09:14 AM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad man
sorry, I got that wrong, I'm using an 8s 450mah pack, I've still managed to keep it under 250g, with fpv, though.

I seem to remember I wanted to get a 4s 350mah pack, but couldn't find one, I'll have to make one, or do 9s
Cool! What esc is this? Can run 9s??
I think an inline (3x3s) could fit.
My BeeRotor 80a is said to be able to run 10s.

M
Feb 15, 2020, 09:19 AM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfinn
This is terribly irresponsible. I like it.

Here's my own take... 14" span, room for a 6s 300 HV. I don't like the proportions...trying to decide whether to stretch the fuse or what...the root chord is starting to get dictated by the length of the battery bay.
Nice designs!
Smaller plane=more perception of speed!
Looks like fun!
Feb 15, 2020, 09:32 AM
For flying out loud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx
Cool! What esc is this? Can run 9s??
I think an inline (3x3s) could fit.
My BeeRotor 80a is said to be able to run 10s.

M
Thatís running a Tekko32 Metal 65a ESC, its only rated to 6s, but I've had no problems on 8s, and wouldn't mind risking 9s, and yeah, inline 3s 350mah x3 was exactly what I was thinking.

I crashed that plane in the most stupid of ways on landing, so Iíve rebuilt it with a 400mm (16") wingspan, still on 8s. I flew it for the first time yesterday, and on the maiden flight I managed 284kph (175mph) while pulling about 700w.

The best bit was that it flew absolutely amazing, completely on rails and it slowed down nice enough for landing, if I have to rebuild it again, I think I'll have to go down to 300mm (12") and a much shorter fuse

Unfortunately, we have got terrible weather here for the next two weeks or so, so it'll be a while before I get any more testing done with it.

This is the crash of the last version:

Getting used to the under 250g over 250kph plane, then hitting tripod (3 min 10 sec)
Feb 15, 2020, 11:00 AM
Airspeed is my drug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad man
That’s running a Tekko32 Metal 65a ESC, its only rated to 6s, but I've had no problems on 8s, and wouldn't mind risking 9s, and yeah, inline 3s 350mah x3 was exactly what I was thinking.

I crashed that plane in the most stupid of ways on landing, so I’ve rebuilt it with a 400mm (16") wingspan, still on 8s. I flew it for the first time yesterday, and on the maiden flight I managed 284kph (175mph) while pulling about 700w.

The best bit was that it flew absolutely amazing, completely on rails and it slowed down nice enough for landing, if I have to rebuild it again, I think I'll have to go down to 300mm (12") and a much shorter fuse

Unfortunately, we have got terrible weather here for the next two weeks or so, so it'll be a while before I get any more testing done with it.

This is the crash of the last version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6YBWtwT9Pc&t=1s
Great job!
That looked like a nice, controlled flight with off power acro, blazing acceleration, and close passes.
I got a chuckle from the "landing".
Hope all your gear was ok.

What prop is that?
Did you have to change settings on esc?
Are you getting any heat in the motor or pack?
Did you make a soldered solid pack or series pack with connections. Balance?
I always solder the packs, which eliminates the balance tabs. (For space reasons)
Having those real-time readings helps to NOT kill a pack by running low.
I killed my 350 packs having to much fun.

Quick Reply