Condenser Paper? - RC Groups
Jul 11, 2017, 11:01 PM
Discussion

Condenser Paper?

Anyone know where I might can obtain some condenser paper? I have a couple of ornithopter plans by Ken Johnson that call for c. paper. Could not find it with Google, it may not be available anymore. If I can't find it tissue will have to do...... Thanks

rdw777
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2017, 11:33 PM
Light Esaki will do, but otherwise find an old condenser and open it up to unroll the paper.
Jul 12, 2017, 12:36 AM
I believe George at Volare products is carrying it now...
Jul 12, 2017, 01:10 AM
I know George has Gampi now. I'm not sure how it compares to condenser. Mike Woodhouse has condenser and load of other types of covering, but he is in the UK.

https://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk...ring-materialshttp://volareproducts.com/BUY/index....i1hcbtfbggo061
Jul 12, 2017, 10:00 AM
Nice replies guys!!! I dropped George at Volare a note with a few questions about Gampi
Jul 12, 2017, 11:17 AM
OK...I was under the impression that Gampi and condenser paper was the same thing.... I am probably wrong. I have played with Gampi and found it much lighter than Esaki, it will shrink a TON if allowed to get wet, the other thing is it does not bond nearly as well with glue stick as tissue paper does...hope this helps.
Jul 12, 2017, 11:54 AM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
I have lots of condenser paper. How much you need.
Jul 12, 2017, 12:04 PM
A quick and easy substitute might be grocery produce bag plastic? See: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=22074.0

Norm
Jul 12, 2017, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdude
OK...I was under the impression that Gampi and condenser paper was the same thing.... I am probably wrong. I have played with Gampi and found it much lighter than Esaki, it will shrink a TON if allowed to get wet, the other thing is it does not bond nearly as well with glue stick as tissue paper does...hope this helps.
I'm almost certain that condenser paper is non-porous and has been replaced by plastic.
Jul 12, 2017, 03:14 PM
That is why condenser paper is not used anymore, the indoor rules were changed to allow mylar film to be used quite some time ago so cpaper became obsolete. Most capacitors are now film capacitors. The mylar films are much lighter and stable in temp and humidity changes. I had also heard that the cpaper had to be changed periodically on indoor ornithopters. At least when they were monoplane flappers. The plastic covered indoor ornithopters I have made we're all biplane pushers. Never did plastic on monoplanes.
Jul 12, 2017, 09:12 PM
Don, Thanks for the offer for the c. paper, yes I would like some if you could sell me a piece. One of the plans is Birdy by Ken Johnson. The original used dyed c. paper and I would like to do the same. It is not necessarily a duration/competition type orni but more Da Vinci like, and I would still like it to be as light as possible. It has a 25'' span, I would like enough c. paper to do it maybe three times to account for the life of the model. Please PM me details if you would be kind enough to sell some. If I am able to acquire some I would like to hear your thoughts on staining it with coffee or tea to give it an antiquated look. I've done it on tissue before and it turns out nice.

The other orni is also by Ken Johnson, Flip Flop. I may not be as nostalgic with it. He designed it as an outdoor orni, I may consider plastic bag/ mylar or a combination of those two.

Thanks for all the replies,
Jul 12, 2017, 11:27 PM
The paper I have is about .5-.6 grams per 100 sq inches. I will send you a PM.
Aug 16, 2017, 04:16 AM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
I have about a pound of the stuff, got it from MH Dielectrics in Mount Holly Springs, PA. sheets are 18 by 24 inches (3 sq. ft) and weigh 2.25 gms/ sheet ( about .52 gms/ 100 sq inches) and this batch was the heavier of the 2 batches I got from them, gave the other pound to a local friend that I fly indoor rubber with.
Aug 16, 2017, 01:47 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
I just spoke to M H Dielectrics and the paper I have is .00025 thousandth inch thick, or 6.4 microns... and is the thinnest, lightest paper made in the USA.
Oct 20, 2017, 10:03 PM
A big thanks for to maxxnut for selling me a few sheets of condenser paper. After the Don was kind enough to sell a few sheets I contacted maxxnut and he was willing to sell a few as well. The two c-papers are slightly different colored, I'm glad to have a some of this paper before it is more difficult to find. Thanks again maxxnut and the Don!!

Robert