Jul 23, 2017, 11:10 PM
It's not going to build itself
Thread OP
Congrats Tom! My shop is in disarray for a similar reason.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2017, 12:06 AM
ThanksTom.
I still reorganizing and trashing stuffs.

I'd like to get back to a little building.

I did cut cores for my Mig and had to put a little filler in the bottom core as I got some wire hop from my technique getting outa hand for a sec

I will post a pic after I got both cars in
Jul 24, 2017, 04:52 PM
Hold my beer and watch this
Welp, been working on mine a little bit, I sheeted the wings with 1/64" plywood and gorilla glue. Glued on my 3/4" basswood LE, sunk in the 1/2" balsa sub trailing edge and added a 3" basswood tip block. Used a power planer to get most of the material off then my cheap HF belt sander to get it close enough. I'll finish it up by hand with a sanding block.

So far my span is at 56" which I think I'm gonna stick with. hopefully I'll find some time this week to get them in the bag. Not going for a heavy weight.
Jul 24, 2017, 10:59 PM
Dang Tom, you take a little break and Garret rolls up on you! Lol
Looking good guys stay with it I know it has been warm in those garage's!
Cheers
Jul 24, 2017, 11:28 PM
Ha, you're getting me confused with Garrett...I'm Kevin. Though we do look alike, he's just the better looking one.
Jul 25, 2017, 12:34 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengranite
Welp, been working on mine a little bit, I sheeted the wings with 1/64" plywood and gorilla glue. Glued on my 3/4" basswood LE, sunk in the 1/2" balsa sub trailing edge and added a 3" basswood tip block. Used a power planer to get most of the material off then my cheap HF belt sander to get it close enough. I'll finish it up by hand with a sanding block.

So far my span is at 56" which I think I'm gonna stick with. hopefully I'll find some time this week to get them in the bag. Not going for a heavy weight.
Looks good so far.

Dave
Jul 25, 2017, 12:40 AM
taste the high speed dirt
Quote:
Ha, you're getting me confused with Garrett...I'm Kevin. Though we do look alike, he's just the better looking one.
Hahaha......oh stop, your making me blush! haha

Garrett
must finish voodoo2 before make mig

Looks good kev....what tip chord?...sweep? Did you go with
Jul 25, 2017, 01:10 AM
It's not going to build itself
Thread OP
That's just one of the reasons I Iike building with you guys, you're very motivating!
Got my wings in the bag tonight, a layer of 1.? and a layer of 6oz.
I couldn't get my vacuum pump to crank out more than 5" of vacuum. I tapped on everything, and when that failed to work, I plugged it in. All good now!
Jul 25, 2017, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Sorry Kevin, Looking good and keeping it light will be a nice! It will be interesting how light you come in at with this build method.

I want to build a 60oz Mig so it will fly regularly!
. 10 oz fuse though
Jul 25, 2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrttmyers
Looks good kev....what tip chord?...sweep? Did you go with
Ill have to double check when I get home, but I think roughly 10" root, and 4" tip at 25", so with the 3" tip block added, the tip chord narrows a bit more. Sweep will be pretty far back, probably 3" to give it that equal taper look, and to help keep the weight down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemach1
Sorry Kevin, Looking good and keeping it light will be a nice! It will be interesting how light you come in at with this build method.

I want to build a 60oz Mig so it will fly regularly!
. 10 oz fuse though
Thanks Joe, Im not shooting for a particular weight, but definitely wont be adding any sled tactics, ha. The fuse itself is 17oz, so were already off to a poor start.
Jul 25, 2017, 01:16 PM
Anything around 70-75 is light for this build
Jul 25, 2017, 03:09 PM
I'll be doing mine with balsa skins to keep it lighter. Should save as much as 6-8ozs with a 56" wing? Hey Joe---want to cut some cores? Thin RG14-- I gotta build a lighter Mig---my original is 90ozs!!
Jul 25, 2017, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
I'll be doing mine with balsa skins to keep it lighter. Should save as much as 6-8ozs with a 56" wing? Hey Joe---want to cut some cores? Thin RG14-- I gotta build a lighter Mig---my original is 90ozs!!
Done! Just finished cutting 4 sets!
3 sets are spoken for so you are in luck!
Jul 26, 2017, 03:42 PM
Thanks Joe--you DA MAN!!! I'm glad to see my Mig is being built by so many slopers!!! It will be fun to see them at the slope. I know the Amigos all have one--- gotta fly mine with Ian--their about the same weight. But I want one I can fly here in South OC too!!

Quick Reply