Mig time - RC Groups
Jul 11, 2017, 08:49 PM
It's not going to build itself
Build Log

Mig time

I think it's about time to build one of Tim's Migs. I will push to have this done for the Potluck. I know of at least 4 others that have this same short kit, so maybe they will join in on the build. Let's get started!
Tom
Last edited by TRISME; Jul 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2017, 10:28 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Looks good already.

~Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Jul 11, 2017, 11:00 PM
This will be fun to watch!! Go Tom! You need a few guys to get in on this build to keep momentum rolling.
Cheers
Jul 11, 2017, 11:02 PM
What airfoil is that Tom??something thin!
Jul 11, 2017, 11:33 PM
Awesome!
Jul 12, 2017, 01:08 AM
I hope some of the other guys will jump in on this build with me.
Robert cut the cores for me. It's a great foil.
Jul 12, 2017, 01:33 AM
Tail dragger
Uh oh...i better get my arse in gear
Jul 12, 2017, 02:15 AM
When you get in gear, you'll probably go blazing past me.
I cut some 1/64th plywood skins, mostly because it's just my preferred wing skin material. I don't get caught up worrying too much if my root cord is going to be narrower or the wing doesn't fit the saddle exactly, I can make things fit.
I sanded the wing cores lightly with some 220g sandpaper to remove any hairs, then dusted them off carefully.
I tape the skins together at the T/E, leaving a small gap between them so they don't bind when folded.(the tape goes on the outside)
This one isn't going to be a sled, so I'm using Gorilla glue, I think the wing comes out lighter. I use a small nap roller, and roll it out nice and even, don't leave puddles! You don't want it to look dry either, just a nice even coat. I've rolled out glue on the skins and misted water on the cores before. This time I'm rolling glue on the cores and not moistening the skins. Do what works best for you. You can mist water on the cores or skins and the glue will foam up faster, I like having more working time. Work fast and line up the trailing edge in the wing skin taco and put them in the bag or weight them down in the wing beds. I think the vacuum bag keeps them more secure, I've had cores slide around a little when just weighted down.
I add a little vacuum, and smooth out the bag before giving it full vacuum.
Last edited by TRISME; Jul 12, 2017 at 03:04 AM.
Jul 12, 2017, 03:24 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Good luck with the build Tom. Tim did a great job on the Mig fuse, it looks super.

The Mig is a classic PSS subject, some great color scheme's to choose from.

Maarten
(Currently stuck in the scale sailplane section but warming up for a new PSS build)
Jul 12, 2017, 01:16 PM
Hold my beer and watch this
Welp, I think I should dust off my fuse and get some wings bagged up!
Jul 13, 2017, 12:40 AM
I pulled my wings out of the bag this evening and cleaned the edges up. They turned out nice and feel pretty light. I lined up the t/e and taped the wings together and gave them a quick sand on the belt sander to even things up.
I think these cores were cut for 1/2" l/e stock, so I trimmed a little more off, since I'll be using 3/4" basswood stock.
Last edited by TRISME; Jul 13, 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Jul 13, 2017, 09:08 AM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Subscribed!
Jul 13, 2017, 10:33 AM
Very nice! We need more like you builders in The Netherlands, that's for sure.
Jul 13, 2017, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm trying to at least do something however small, to keep this build going.
Tom
Jul 13, 2017, 02:44 PM
Its about time you build that Mig Tom he he watching !!!