Jul 11, 2017, 03:34 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX-70 Pterosaurs (WIP)

Disclaimer (inspired from SP) Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. Please, no savage affiliate links! By the way, in contracdiction with some other reviewers, I open a new mini-review thread ONLY when I have the machine in hand ....

INTRODUCTION

The Cheerson CX-70 pterosaurs is a very original quadcopter machine in the sens that both the radio and the quadcopter can be foilded around each wrist respectively. The CX-70 is a brushed FPV 2.4G WiFi based quadcopter including altitude hold sensor. Thanks to some new advanced features in the app, the machine can be controlled in selfie mode and even integrates a basic path planner. Let's check this new bundle.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-70
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 1S 120mAh Builtin LiPo)
+ 1 x 2S 350mAh proprietary battery
+ 1 x Watch module
+ 1 x Charger
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x Prop remover wrench
+ 1 x USB to microUSB cable
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

OVERVIEW

The CX-70 can be enrolled around the left wrist while the radio more on the righ wrist thanks to two metallic foldable bars.

Among accessories, a basic digital Watch which can be clipsed instead of the CX-70's lipo.

-Front view

The general design of the pterosaurs is a prehistoric bat with large wings. When unrolled, arms are still flexible a bit but no risk mid-flight to fold them by accident. The distance between front and rear motors are super narrow versus the distance between left and right. Can the stability, controbilility can be impacted by such design ?

Two small blue lights installed on front. It's just ok to be visible in night time but hard to see them in strong daylight condition. At least, we have different colors between front and rear props.

-Side view

Each wing ends with a plastic element in order to be more "bat" similar. The main battery plastic pads must pressed to remove the central LiPo.

-Rear view

Two small red lights blinking when waiting the bind, steady solid when bound and blinking fast when LVC is here

-Upper view

-Bottom view

The 2.4G antenna of the WiFi module. Not super well located to maximize the FPV horizontal distance.

-Weight

106g in total. It's ok for a 2S setup and with such large prop. Now the question how durable will be motors and a second one is how easy will be the motor''s maintenance ?

Motors and props

Brushed motors are installed horizontally main probably some 8.5mmx20mm 8.5mmx23mm, so longer brushed motors, warming a lot in practice. A pinion must be here to transmit rotations to the main vertical prop axis.

A lot of screws to remove for the motor's maintenance. They are 2S... so even more fragile in practice. Always think to stock a 1 CW and 1 CCW spare motors.

~ 76mm triblade props !!!! They are huge for suck kind of machine.

LiPo

A proprietary 2S 350mAh LiPo

Camera module

A super narrow pinhole camera lens, with a FOV of 60 degrees approximatively

The lens's thread is in M6 format ... so impossible corrrently to find a compatible wider lens.

Disassembling

The 2.4G WiFi daughter module is installed front

The 6-axis stabilization invensence module as well as the baromoter (for the altitulde) hold are isoloated from the main PCB by a piece of foam. On the main lower PCB, the mostFET 2310 (2S capable) and the RFchip (identified as a XN297). There us a small hope that this protocol can be deviated one day.

Transmitter

The controllers offer very short sticks very hard to control the machine precizely. You can arm the machine by pushing the sticks in lower outter directions. Gyroscope calibration can be done in lower rght directions. Four buttons are here for: auto-take off, auto landing, 360 degrees flips and the selection of one of the three speed modes.

A small 120mAh LiPo is inserted and advitized to run during 1h30 but in practice, you can't expect much more than 20-30min.

UNBOXING, ANALYSIS AND DEMO FLIGHT

Cheerson CX-70 unboxing analysis and demo flight (Courtesy Banggood) (19 min 13 sec)

The quadcopter can be controlled either by the radio control or the Android/iOS app. If you plan to use the radio, power and bind first with the radio. After you can enjoy the WiFi FPV video feedback via your smarphone/tablet. Don't expect a super range and super fracerate. Be aware, when also connected to the table, you can loose the radio control and the machine must controled only via the app. In term of altitulde hold, the barometer's job is efficient. Only mederate drifts in z altiltude have been observed. Unfortunatly for x--y axis, it's a different story and drifts are rely dépendent of the strength of the Wind. More in presence of Wind, the wings tends to vibrate more creating a lot of jello in video. The rates of the machine are slow whatever the speed mode selected. Be aware in Wind conditions especially in beginner mode. As soon you press the selfie mode control, the machine automatically rotate of 180 degrees and commands are effectively inverted. Photos are effectively in 720p resolution bu video are captured only via the WiFi FPV link in a sub-VGA resolution. As for all FPV WiFi based, the frame rate will drop versus distance with the increasement of screen's freezings. Anyway, in a radio of 20m, the link is relatively solid. The general light sensitivity of the camera is poor ..... Definitively the CX-70 is a toy for kids but be beware no prop guards are included.

CONCLUSIONS

In general when a quadcopter tries to integrate extra non-quadcopter feature we have a loose-loose situation .... and for the CX-70 it's close to be this case. If kids will be crazy about this transportation's method, the flight performances of this machine are more impacted by Wind due to this original design. More a lot of jellos in video can be observed. Anyway, the CX-70 can represent an original gift for 10 years+ kids. I find the price also a bit expensive compared to other 2.4G WiFi toyquadcopters.

PROS

+ Altitude hold efficient
+ Selfie mode
+ Can be controled via the radio or the smartphone
+ Large triblade props

CONS

- A lot of jello
- Poor video resolution
- Narrow FOV
- Not wind resistant
- Unpresize stick controls
- Expensive

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thank them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 70USD at https://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-70-CX70-BAT-DRONE-WiFi-FPV-With-Wearable-Wrist-Watch-Altitude-Hold-RC-Quadcopter-p-1149087.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jul 13, 2017 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2017, 03:34 PM
Thread OP
reserved
Jul 12, 2017, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
added more text and conclusion
Jul 12, 2017, 08:49 AM
GOT WINGS
Good review SeByDocky. I would have posted a review before now, but I had a malfunction with mine that caused a motor to overheat and melt and deform the plastic arm. It is now unflyable.
The motors are much bigger than 0820s, the closest I could measure them they came out something like 9mm x 23mm. I also pulled that antenna out of its holder and let it hang down and almost doubled the range, one flight just before the melt down I got about 300 feet range.
Jul 12, 2017, 10:46 AM
SeBy found his new go-to fashion accessory!
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Jul 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM.
Jul 12, 2017, 01:05 PM
GOT WINGS
I had the motor out and was able to take a better measurement of it. It is 8.5mm diameter, but it measured a little over 23mm long.
Jul 12, 2017, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I had the motor out and was able to take a better measurement of it. It is 8.5mm diameter, but it measured a little over 23mm long.
Oh thanls for the info ... To be honest, I didn't want to disassemble it ... I will updatewith your measurement
Jul 12, 2017, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
SeBy found his new go-to fashion accessory!

I can't live without now
Jul 13, 2017, 12:20 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
This will certainly start a career in modeling for you. How is your catwalk walk? Did you already stop eating, so you can look as skinny as those other fashion models?

Funny thing this, wearable quadcopter. Btw, the name is Pterosaurs and no Prerosaurs. You can see the character just after the "P" is different than the "r" at the end, and there has been a Pterosaur.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 13, 2017, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
This will certainly start a career in modeling for you. How is your catwalk walk? Did you already stop eating, so you can look as skinny as those other fashion models?

Funny thing this, wearable quadcopter. Btw, the name is Pterosaurs and no Prerosaurs. You can see the character just after the "P" is different than the "r" at the end, and there has been a Pterosaur.

Pterosaurs I see What not sure of this letter
Jul 14, 2017, 12:03 AM
youtube.com searchfor danqfpv
This should have been made into a batman toy. I see this as one of his gadgets for sure
Jul 14, 2017, 01:48 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danq0
This should have been made into a batman toy. I see this as one of his gadgets for sure

True, but then Cheerson would have to pay licence fees, as they are a company that doesn't seem to be as easy about copying designs, and trademarks, as some other companies.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 16, 2017, 12:23 PM
cool
Jul 21, 2017, 10:16 AM

Cheerson CX-70 CX70 Bat Drone Pterosaurs Flight Test Review

This FPV camera quadcopter looks and flies like it came straight from Batman's utility belt. nahnah nahnah nahnah nah ... Batman! (Yeah, I meant that Batman. The others are cheap imitations

and here is its flight demonstration
Cheerson CX-70 CX70 Bat Drone Pterosaurs Flight Test Review (7 min 31 sec)

Pros
- Highly portable. Folds into a wristband. The wristband can also be turned into a watch.
- Real time in-flight WiFi FPV video can be viewed on your smartphone.
- Altitude hold, auto takeoff and landing.
- Unique flier. Feels like you're flying half quadcopter/half airplane.
- Can be controlled either via a traditional controller or its WiFi app available on Google Play here . Sorry, but I couldn't find the iTunes link for it with a simple Google search.

Cons
- Low resolution 0.3MP 480p camera.
- Proprietary battery and charger.
- Slider control buttons feel odd for those used to control sticks.
- Mine wouldn't flip.

Quick Reply