Nieuport 28 emergency landing - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 11, 2017, 04:15 PM
Discussion

Nieuport 28 emergency landing

Here is a picture of an emergency landing I had last weekend. The flight was at the Okie Dawn Patrol event in Guthrie, OK. I had taken off with several others and had been in the air for maybe a minute or so when I noticed that the plane seemed to be out of trim and trying to roll to the right. I trimmed the ailerons to the left but the problem continued and was rapidly getting worse. I called out that I was in trouble and was landing "now!" By the time I made a downwind leg and started turning for the runway the plane was really close to being out of control. I managed to get lined up with the runway and landed OK. As soon as I landed I could see that the right aileron was jammed in the full up position.

The picture was taken just before I made the landing. You can see that I'm holding left aileron and left rudder trying to keep the plane going in a straight line.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2017, 06:38 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
Glad you got it down safely! Did you figure out why the aileron jammed like that?
Jul 11, 2017, 09:50 PM
Nice photo! Thanks for sharing it.
Jul 11, 2017, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Glad you got it down safely! Did you figure out why the aileron jammed like that?
Servo failure. The servo would run hard over each time the power was applied.
Jul 12, 2017, 01:54 PM
AMA 415
Way to get it down in one piece!
Aug 21, 2017, 08:41 AM
Onward and upward.
Good job. Usually, those are fatal.