designing wings for 3d printing - RC Groups
Jul 11, 2017, 04:10 PM
Discussion

designing wings for 3d printing

I'm have designed a basic wing that I would like to 3d print. The plan is to print and then vaccum bag it with carbon and glass as it needs to be fairly strong.

its the first wing I have done on cad and the first I will have 3d printed so looking for tips and advice.

I'm using fusion360 to draw the wing at the moment it is just solid, I guess some how I need to try and make it so it has some sort of structure inside? or do I just print with a low infill?

I'm going to have to print It in parts. do I need to make some sort of tabs to line the parts up or can I just but joint them and glue?

Any particular material advised if I'm going to use epoxy and carbon on them ?

best regards
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2017, 05:59 PM
think I may have managed to make it hollow although not sure what the best structure to use inside. I guess with it like this I print it solid with no infill .
Jul 11, 2017, 08:12 PM
Retired CAD guy
Research THinivers for models and of course 3dlabprint from CZ.

They have been evolving their designs and internal structuring schemes.

IMHO, no disrespect, but your pic looks like it could result
in a heavier than optimal result.

This stuff is in it's infancy and it's going to take a lot of innovation and Trial and error to get it perfected.
Jul 12, 2017, 04:34 AM
many thanks I will have a look at that as see what I can get from there. The structure I have done inside was only a quick test however weight is not a issue as it is for underwater flight rather than in the air.
Jul 12, 2017, 09:45 AM
Retired CAD guy
Most Slicers have "SETTINGS" to control the INFILL % and TYPE ( Rectilinear, Honeycomb ... )
Hydrofoils need to be strong and I'm guessing would be happiest with a HI % infill.
Is this going to be a Lifting foil or possibly a Stabilizer Wing ?

Regardless, Not much point designing an interior structure if it's going to need to be almost solid.
Jul 12, 2017, 09:59 AM
its a lifting wing for a hydrofoil. Most of the strength should come from carbon and fiber glass. I have to figure a way to make the mounting points nice and solid that's all.
Jul 12, 2017, 08:48 PM
Ken's CAD Models
I am pretty sure that vacuum bagging over a 3d printed wing would result in a partially collapsed form. Since you are getting your strength from the the carbon/epoxy lamination why not 3d print a female mold with a fairly high infill density, and vac/bag that?

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Jul 12, 2017, 10:23 PM
You'll need a fairly dense infill to cope with the vacuum bagging if you're expecting a faithful reproduction of your aerofoil section. I like dz1sfb's idea of 3D printed moulds. Monash Motorsport have done this recently for their FSAE car - have a look here: https://www.facebook.com/monashmotor...65789910108922
Jul 13, 2017, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
I am pretty sure that vacuum bagging over a 3d printed wing would result in a partially collapsed form. Since you are getting your strength from the the carbon/epoxy lamination why not 3d print a female mold with a fairly high infill density, and vac/bag that?

Ken
that was also a plan but though for the first tests it would be quicker to bag over a core. I think with only 6-8" it should not crush it, will have to try a test first for that.

if I do a mould I guess I will be idealy looking for the opposite in the plastics ie does not stick to epoxy however I would still apply a wax and pva.
Jul 18, 2017, 04:22 PM
Ciao,
I made some experiences about that.

My first flying wing was designed as solid and must printed with 3% of infill
instead my latest version is drawn as shell empty and must printed with 0% of infill since I drawn the internal structures

After this test I can say that the second one is more light and robust

Please visit my thingiverse page and download for free my flying wing printed by over 12000 people
Jul 18, 2017, 06:25 PM
on your latest version, did you surface model the skin, or is it a solid model with a small ( 0.4mm or similar) thickness?
Jul 29, 2017, 05:18 PM
the second that you told
Nov 10, 2017, 11:45 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Hi!

Sorry for update of old thread, but it best fit what I want to say.

As author mentioned Fusion 360 software I would like to share my addon for it to build airfoil spline from DAT file.

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/...ng=en&os=Win64

Fell free to test it.

As for 3d printed planes I printed couple of flying wings from Thingiverse. You don't need any cover on top of printed parts.

Finally I want to share my project which remained without an interest on this site.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2228276

Whole plane was designed in OpenSCAD.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the link, Scorpio! Awesome video of the maiden flight.
Nov 12, 2017, 12:16 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless Stan
Thanks for the link, Scorpio! Awesome video of the maiden flight.
Hundreds of mosquitos biting me. You can see them on video.
And view against Sun finished it. I lost orientation.

But plane itself can fly well. By accident I started motor late but it was in air.