This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 11, 2017, 11:57 AM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Discussion

"Blinded by the Light" - Problem Solved

The AirMasters airfield where I fly has a runway oriented NE/SW, so flying in the morning on the west side of the runway means the sun will be in my eyes. I usually fly late in the afternoon (after work) when the wind is calmer, the thermals have gone, and the sun is not an issue. Flying in an IMAC contest, however, means I sometimes have to face the sun. That is not a good situation.

I was introduced to a simple solution to this problem at my first IMAC contest. Someone had made a sun blocker, a simple disc mounted on a pole inserted into a tripod. It worked great! I eventually got around to making my own for my home airfield. In my haste I used a plastic picnic plate as my disc. I just strapped it to a wooden dowel with a couple zip ties. At the last IMAC event the wind was so strong it just ripped the plate off the dowel.

So, I came up with a more permanent solution. I cut a disc from some scrap fiber board I had on hand. I sealed the face with some primer and glued a doubler and some cleats to accept a dowel on the back. My daughter agreed to provide a little artistic flourish to give it some color. (Her picture also helps to explain the purpose of this device, as the members of my club kept asking me what the previous sun blocker was, and "How are you supposed to hold it and fly at the same time?" when I brought the latest version to the field unassembled.)

A brick in the bag attached at the bottom of the tripod provides ballast, so the disc won't fall over in a strong wind.
Last edited by rclad; Jul 23, 2017 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply