I want to fly everything!
No responses?

I feel like Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster. "She..hate me!"

Ehh! Ehh!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2017, 11:30 AM
So many planes, So little time

Fuselage

3. Must use FT "tiny Trainer" fuselage and power pod at stock length made of FT waterproof foamboard or DTFB.
4.Any wing or tail profile or configuration is allowed. Any Prop is allowed, any covering is allowed. Developments of aerodynamic efficiency, exploring limits of "clipping" and different aerodynamic "cheats" are encouraged within these limits.

Just build the stock tiny trainer fuselage and cut the wings and tail down to suit your likes, Boris
AMainHobbies is selling the Quick kits, shipping from California.
Pushrods seem to be .039-.040 as far as the Harbor freight caliper is concerned.

I've got 600 cinder blocks to stack up for pylons, yea, don't worry- I'm painting them orange so you can see them.
Nov 13, 2017, 11:52 AM
So many planes, So little time

Unlimited, P-51 ?

So I'm real lazy nowadays and just order Quick kits from AMainHobbies.
While I was shopping for my latest rebuild Tiny Trainer.
I happened to see these and wonder, could we look at these little guys....?
Name: small racers.JPG
Views: 10
Size: 30.7 KB
Description:
They're mighty minis! and only $18.00 or $30.00 for the two pack.
Nov 14, 2017, 12:04 PM

Been a while!!

Hi Guys,

I've been remiss in tending to this thread.

Lance, I think gear would be great, but will probably slow them down. I was going to try an in-the-fuselage gear that would only be protruding about .75" to clear the prop, but I wouldn't sanction any thing you liked to try. Again, you can add anything you want!

We've found there is little you can do to speed these up but almost anything you do will slow them down. Even my fairings and turtleback make them slower. I'm encouraging all wing and tail and planform mods. The only real guideline is to start with the TT fuselage (and wings as a start but you can cut them up) Mainly so that the average devotee can buy the TT and build from those parts. We've tried clips of 50% which makes them fly pretty badly and launch scary, but not any faster and about four different planforms and all three tail designs. My personal preference for durability and general handling is the "T" configuration, but the fastest is probably the "V" but it doesn't turn in as well.

I have a few "no sidethrust" firewalls for you. I've been flying these so I can run all the props including CCW.

I can't wait to see "Your Stank"

Frank,

The Mighty Mini fighters are smaller heavier and harder to build, and possibly not as durable due to the wing design and I'm suspicious that they don't fly quite as well or are as forgiving, but you are always welcome at least until we get really serious. Heck, I've been flying the super bee and the bronco with the crowd of two buck racers when mine are out of commission so anything you want to put in the air with us is just more excitement and fun. I wanted to encourage modification and development of a basic design and the trainer just made it easier to try different tails, wings and planforms than the fighters.

If we do get serious about this ( I have a scheme for actually keeping track of laps/cuts that is easy) I would want to mainly retain the 1803 and 12A esc as the basic Formula, but if people want to migrate to the Tiny fighters that would not be the end of the world. I also want to do an "unlimited" class allowing 1803's with different KV and four cell or maybe even larger motors, but the main thing is limiting the cost ceiling.

I built my fourth one last week so I now have a vee and a tee and I'm still on my original two power systems with maybe 60 flights each on them.
Last edited by Joe Kollmann; Nov 16, 2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Nov 14, 2017, 12:24 PM
I got Chris confused with "Rocket foamy Frank" ...mIghty mini response was meant for X-FLY-FUN.

I'm bad with aliases...You can seee how mystic and clever mine is
Nov 23, 2017, 02:39 PM
I think your alias shows you have the 'nads to put up your actual name!

I really like the power system you have come up with is perfect. It's really cheap and they seem to go fast with good duration. Plus, I have a whole bunch of batteries that are the right size and that appeals to my sense of cheapness.

As a bystander watching you guys fly those things, it looks like too much fun to pass up. The planes are "just right" for the job. Cheap and fast, with low emotional attachment.

I made a turtledeck, but now I might leave it off after your comments.

I'm wondering if the fuselage could be simplified so there aren't so many fiddly parts. Just make it all one piece. It could be lighter and more aerodynamic as well. What do you think Joe. Or is it worth it so you can replace just the nose after a crash?

Another thing, Joe. For some reason the link in the email notices to this thread doesn't take you to this thread but instead it goes to the thread index.

P.S. I got a turbine engine and an Usher F-106 last Saturday!
Nov 27, 2017, 07:15 PM
Turbine-powered cardboard pylon racer - what could go wrong?
Nov 28, 2017, 04:37 PM
Wait, did somebody mention rockets????
Nov 28, 2017, 09:41 PM
Yes, pylon racing r/c rockets. Now that would be something.
Dec 04, 2017, 05:54 PM
I've been reading this, and I'm going to try to join in the fun. I've got a bunch of electronics and will have some good build sessions over the holidays.

Question on the wing: can other materials other than foam be used in the wing? Specifically, is a CF spar an option, or would that push it into the unlimited class? The fuselage rules are very clear (DTFB), but the wing rules aren't that explicit.