Waterjet powered river-tug - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
DIY FTW !
Discussion

Waterjet powered river-tug

Hi all, i am about to build a river tug in 1:25 to fit my lgb/garden-railroad, and to push railroad pontons around.

Its powered with two 28mm jet-drives, so i put it in the jet category, but there is probably a better category for that.

My boat will be a complete fantasy product, as is needed a specific size and scale.

So the first step was, to design the boat in 3d software (blender3d in my case)

i already rendered a turntable:

FPV : RIVER TUG CONCEPT (2 min 16 sec)

i had twin propellers in my mind when designing it, but changed that to jets as i like the concept better for shallow waters.

whats going to be in the boat:

- FPV setup, i dont build anything without one.
- watercooling for motors and esc
- automated docking
- smoke / sound / lights
- complete weather/water sealed

everything except the two jets already came, and i will start building the hull on this saturday

As reference-boat i took a small tugboat from DDR (eastern block germany), as it fitted the size.
I attached two photos of it.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2017, 09:28 AM
DIY FTW !

CONCEPT rendering

Sorry i couldnt find a function to add photos after submitting the post.

As i said in the other post, i changed the propulsion from propellers to jets.
Jul 10, 2017, 11:13 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
What an amazing concept.... I look forward to seeing more...
Jul 10, 2017, 12:10 PM
Nice movie and design!
It looks like it could have a scale 1:1 counterpart
Jul 10, 2017, 12:35 PM
DIY FTW !
thanks

i made it up, based on stuff i found online

what i forgot, is that i want to be able to raise and lower the captainshouse.
also i found an echolot for fishing purposes for 30$, and i think of putting one in, and put the display so that i can see it from the fpv camera

also i made up the yellow/black colorscheme, better i stole it from ny central railroad switchers, as i want to build one to accompany my tug.
Jul 11, 2017, 10:47 AM
Platinum Card Member
Very nice indeed. And I don't meant to be a downer, but consider that jet drives can suck up troublesome debris in low water levels - especially at low (forward) speeds. Kort nozzles or ducted props might have provided some protection there. Will be following your thread with enthusiasm.
Jul 12, 2017, 11:23 AM

ok i am back

i had to register a second account, cause the "password forgotten" dialog is corrupted and doesnt send you to the "re-enter your new password" page and instead is always sending you to the normal login page.

anyways, about the jets:

i know they are not very efficient, and escpecially for a tug boat the probably worst propulsion system ^^

i already ordered a metal 5 blade 60mm propeller before, and then decided to use jets, because i liked the idea.

also i ordered them in the minute when i liked them, they are on their way now, and i will use them hehe.

My parents got a small stream on their land, with crystal clear drinking water in it, so there is no debris etc, the only thing thats in are fish and plants. my thought was, that jets with some sort of fence on the inlet are the best way to keep the plants out of the propeller, so thats why i ordered them.

I attached a few screenshots about how the hull changed so far.

Also i uploaded two video, one is the same like the other one, just with rain

FPV : RIVER TUG CONCEPT ref002 rain (1 min 15 sec)

The second one is a concept that i would like to use to let it moor itself.

POLLER CONCEPT (0 min 18 sec)

PS what i forgot to mention yet is that english is not my first language, so please excuse if some stuff i post sounds strange
Last edited by inevitable craft; Jul 12, 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Jul 12, 2017, 11:33 AM
why is my post marked as spam?

i run a blog, if you dont hear anything anymore about this boat, i decided to quit this page, and the build log can be found here

http://inevitablecraftslab.wordpress.com
Jul 12, 2017, 04:20 PM
Platinum Card Member
Spam? It all looks fine to me! I'm not sure what you mean.
Jul 13, 2017, 12:39 PM
its umarked now, i got a bit confused with this page, all good

Still waiting on the jet28
Jul 16, 2017, 02:06 AM
I know some real scale tugs have been equipped with centrifugal jet drives! Basically a very large version of the first Hamilton jet.

For low speeds they were efficient.
Axial or mixed flow et drives have the downside to be not that efficient at low rpm.

Nevertheless your model will definatebly work!
Are you going to add turn buckles for reversing? With this feature your tug will be extremely maneuverable!
Jul 16, 2017, 02:50 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Your computer animation is very good! I'll be watching this interesting build!
Aug 06, 2017, 11:03 AM
hi all, yes i will add kamewe turnbuckets, as they came with the jet28 set.

I finished the hull today, made it a classicplywood build, and will add two or three layers of fibre tomorrow.

As the hull is very deep for a jet driven boat, i have to make intake tunnels, which are not installed yet, so i will add that too before i add the fibre.

I added the "plan" of the boat, if someone is interested in it.

Also i changed a lot of the inital design i posted in the videos earlier:

TUG LOOP ref103 (0 min 41 sec)
  • The cabin gets lifted by a single 200mm spindle from a 3d printer
  • One heavy anchor instead of two
  • I added a mechanism inside the boat to move two neodym magnets, so that i can remotely fix the boat to neodym magnets mounted in 1:24 rubber tires.
  • The hook system to grab a ponton is moved to the front, where it makes more sense.
  • Redesigned the cabin to fit the samsung gear 360 camera (the fpv camera will be on the roof now)
  • I made the cabins windows (esp front)bigger, so i can fit real glass easier, and added a wiper