Get Your $5 Back from the FAA - RC Groups

Get Your $5 Back from the FAA

If you registered with the FAA as a hobby model aircraft pilot after the free registration period, you can get your $5 back.

Splash

How to Delete Your Data and Get a Refund from the FAA

If you registered with the FAA as a hobby model aircraft pilot after the free registration period, you can get your $5 back. After the court's decision in the Taylor v. Huerta case to revoke the FAA's registration system, the FAA has made provisions for pilots to remove themselves from the database as well as receive a refund for the registration fee.

In order to get your refund and be removed from the database, you'll need to fill out a form with your info and mail it into the FAA. The form has you tick off several check boxes that include:

• My sUAS is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
  • My sUAS is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
  • My sUAS does not weigh more than 55 pounds unless it is otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
  • My sUAS is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft;
  • When flown within 5 miles of an airport, I provide the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.
  • I understand that if I do not always operate exclusively in compliance with the above provisions of section 336, I am operating without a valid registration, which can result in civil and criminal penalties.
  • I also understand that if I already received a refund during the grace period (December 21, 2015 – January 20, 2016) I am not eligible for another refund.

That's all there is to it, just check those boxes, fill out the rest of the form and mail it in.

Click HERE to go to the FAA Registration Refund Form

Jul 10, 2017, 09:25 AM
It will be back in force. It won't be long before there is a serious incident between a major air carrier and a recreational drone. There far more irresponsible fools out there today than most of you can imagine, even a large number of those who would intentionally get close. It's just a matter of time. So hold onto your hats.

If you truly are an aware and responsible recreational drone operator, then you would not mind remaining registered for that mere $5. If your that anti government regarding their concern for aviation safety, and the safety of the flying public, not wanting any oversight, then you are probably the guy in the first paragraph (even though you will deny that and say what a saint you are) and you are probably the guy that I believe should not be flying drones. Go back to 50 foot range $5 - $20 indoor or back yard toys if you don't like accountability.
Jul 10, 2017, 09:38 AM
RCG Staff
The heart of the issue is not about drones, it's about model aircraft pilots who've been safely flying for decades. There's no need for them to be registered at all. Consumer drones are one thing, but the RC hobby doesn't need to be lumped in with that.
Jul 10, 2017, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
The heart of the issue is not about drones, it's about model aircraft pilots who've been safely flying for decades. There's no need for them to be registered at all. Consumer drones are one thing, but the RC hobby doesn't need to be lumped in with that.
Maybe not. But they went out of their way to make it as cheap and convenient as possible while still establishing accountability and minimal oversight. $5 for a single registration covering all your equipment. Nothing else changes regarding what we've all already been doing. Yeah, I agree that rc planes have not been the culprit of concern really. The judicial system has removed that requirement to the praise of many. Be happy about it. If you don't want to register, then don't. If you already have, no harm done; you only spent $5 bucks and the FAA has it in their database that you are a recreational rc pilot. Big deal. You're obviously not incompetent and will not ever give them a reason to pay you a visit. So it's a mute issue. Don't label anymore of your planes if you don't want and carry on.....forget about it.

Until some idiot does something stupid and causes problems for a commercial plane with passengers, or hurts someone on the highway forcing the FAA's hand; then it will come back. And maybe then it will cost you more than $5.
Jul 10, 2017, 10:32 AM
WJH
WJH
The land of the free?
Jul 10, 2017, 12:09 PM
We are slowly becoming the land of the fee.
Jul 10, 2017, 12:20 PM
Land of the free?

You've always had to have a registration for a car, and even for an ATV for that matter. There are places in the U.S. where one needs a plate for a bicycle. Boats require registrations and they are recreational too.

People drop that 'free country' quote as though it were an absolute. Freedom and liberty have never been an 'absolute'. There have always been restrictions and imposed boundaries. If there were not; we would have Chaos.

A fellow aircraft inspector and former co-worker of mine once said about regulation; "If the FAA did not exist and private, commercial aviation, and Airlines were allowed to do whatever they wanted to, whenever and however they wanted to do it; we would have a lot of smoking holes all over the country."

Technology in the RC industry has changed so much. With FPVs, telemetry, more range and power, heavier models, and the desire to fly these things higher, faster and farther, some reckless people are going to get someone hurt. Eventually there will be an incursion in the air with a private or commercial passenger plane and one these recreational rc planes or drones. I've witnessed several people taking their drones up to 600 to 800 feet, laughing about it while knowing very well that they are not supposed to.

So with more people getting into this fast moving hobby; it's just a matter of time. Regulation will come. It has to. They will have no choice.
Last edited by huju; Jul 10, 2017 at 12:45 PM.
Jul 10, 2017, 01:46 PM
Regulation alone doesn't encourage safety.

Safe PEOPLE = safety.

For example. Let's consider the Stop Sign. It has become a pillar in our society, reminding drivers to come to a complete stop, look both ways, before proceeding thru the intersection. Yet millions of drivers, roll through the stop sign <when law enforcement isn't standing nearby>

Caught offenders are ticketed only to re-offend again. A large portion of repeat offenders are licensed drivers who have paid the necessary fees for the privilege of operating a vehicle.

What I'm suggesting is - regulation alone doesn't make operators safe. SAFE operators operate safely. Laws, fees, regulations may frighten some, but there will always be offenders, even LICENSED and REGULATED individuals will continue to break the rules.

And yes, I - a licensed private pilot, paid my $5.00 at the time the government made it mandatory. The fee, didn't change how I operate my models.... b/c I already operate from a safety first perspective.
Jul 10, 2017, 01:58 PM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Anyone else find it completely ridiculous that it was so easy for them to use an online form to get your money and take your information, but you must fill out a very very stupid form and MAIL it in to get your money back? I'm sure they will do nothing with the database either... I won't get into that political argument here, but this is why people fight against such things to begin with, as they never really go away.

Typical government. Think about all the time and money wasted on this unlawful action by the FAA.

EDIT: Thanks Jason Cole, for this post. At least I can get $5 minus postage back from these... people. The checkboxes, the request for your personal checking account and routing number... they are really trying to make this painful. It's literally "I'm taking my ball and going home".. I'm sure they will take at least 90 days or so to get it back too.
Last edited by Jmel; Jul 10, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:05 PM
I can't say I thought for one second that they were going to refund people's money. That was a lot of money they stole from everyone.
I'm glad I refused to register.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:14 PM
huju with all of the sanctimonious garbage you are spouting I would bet you are one of those Gun Control Freaks also the Government sticks their nose into to much of our business and private lives, time to stand up and say enough.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:27 PM
No Shill Zone
Quote:
Originally Posted by huju
It will be back in force. It won't be long before there is a serious incident between a major air carrier and a recreational drone. There far more irresponsible fools out there today than most of you can imagine, even a large number of those who would intentionally get close. It's just a matter of time. So hold onto your hats.

If you truly are an aware and responsible recreational drone operator, then you would not mind remaining registered for that mere $5. If your that anti government regarding their concern for aviation safety, and the safety of the flying public, not wanting any oversight, then you are probably the guy in the first paragraph (even though you will deny that and say what a saint you are) and you are probably the guy that I believe should not be flying drones. Go back to 50 foot range $5 - $20 indoor or back yard toys if you don't like accountability.
LOL so a $5 registration is going to keep the skies safe How well is that working for cars? Laws are pieces of paper and if they worked we wouldn't need law enforcement. The logic of some to bow to government over reach is just amazing. A governmental fee is a tax. Vehicle registration used to be about "accountability and keeping people safe" , now it's about paying for schools... cigarette tax was about promoting people to quit smoking and now it's about paying for schools and whatever not... in fact because of people quitting, my state want to tax redbox rentals to make up for the loss of "their revenue". Lottery? Tax used to pay for schools and whatever.... in fact how many states are now issuing IOUs!? The government is a huge waste of money, ran by buffoons and the people out here pushing them to grow and tax more are the reason we see our country in decline. Careful of the master you serve buddy.
Last edited by Deserteagle; Jul 10, 2017 at 02:51 PM.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:54 PM

$5

For $5 I'm not gonna waste my Time filling out the Form.
They can Keep my $5, they need it worse than I do.

Dave
Jul 10, 2017, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle
LOL so a $5 registration is going to keep the skies safe How well is that working for cars? Laws are pieces of paper and if they worked we wouldn't need law enforcement. The logic of some to bow to government over reach is just amazing. A governmental fee is a tax. Vehicle registration used to be about "accountability and keeping people safe" , now it's about paying for schools... cigarette tax was about promoting people to quit smoking and now it's about paying for schools and whatever not... in fact because of people quitting, my state want to tax redbox rentals to make up for the loss of "their revenue". Lottery? Tax used to pay for schools and whatever.... in fact how many states are now issuing IOUs!? The government is a huge waste of money, ran by buffoons and the people out here pushing them to grow and tax more are the reason we see our country in decline. Careful of the master you serve buddy.

I knew I'd agree with the guy who's username is a .50 caliber handgun
Jul 10, 2017, 03:28 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel
Anyone else find it completely ridiculous that it was so easy for them to use an online form to get your money and take your information, but you must fill out a very very stupid form and MAIL it in to get your money back? I'm sure they will do nothing with the database either... I won't get into that political argument here, but this is why people fight against such things to begin with, as they never really go away.

Typical government. Think about all the time and money wasted on this unlawful action by the FAA.
snip....
I did find it odd that this was being done in paper.

I did not pay the $5 so if I send in the paper it will be to be removed from the DB and I am not sure I care.