ReadyMadeRC STRIX Goblin - RCGroups Video Review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

ReadyMadeRC STRIX Goblin - RCGroups Video Review

Join editor Matt Gunn as he pilots this fast-flying plank from the ReadyMadeRC STRIX line of FPV aircraft.

The STRIX Goblin from ReadyMadeRC

A Fast and Efficient FPV Airframe.

Product:STRIX Goblin
Price:$249.99 PNP
Wingspan:39"
Motor:STRIX Cobra 2217 2300kv
Propeller:6x4 APC
ESC:STRIX Cobra 60A
Servos:Digital, Metal Gear 9g
Battery used:Turnigy Nano Tech 4s 3300mAh
Available from:ReadyMadeRC
Wingspan:39"

I've flown my fair share of fixed-wing FPV; from long-duration airframes, to racers, and everything in between. On the high-performance end of the spectrum, there's only a handful of airframes that check off all of the desires that many FPV pilots want: performance, durability, flight longevity, and of course, ease of launch. The STRIX Goblin is the poster-child in all of those categories. This little hotrod is a plank-style airplane with a ballistic 2300kv brushless motor hanging off the rear in a pusher configuration. Coupled with a 4S pack and a very streamlined airframe, the Goblin is easily capable of speeds over 100mph.

In this video review, I'll show you how quickly the Goblin assembles, and give a full flight-performance evaluation, including stall performance and what you can expect out of the Goblin. Here's a list of the components used in the build:

I chose to outfit the Goblin with FPV equipment that best suited it's flying style. The Goblin can cover a lot of ground in a hurry, so I went with a 1.2GHz VTx with 400 mw of output power. Sure, 5.8GHz systems will work, but I enjoy the extra distance and penetration available from the longer frequency wavelength that 1.2GHz offers. Of course, mileage varies based upon setup and environment, so set up your Goblin however you see fit.

I also outfitted the Goblin with a DragonLink Long-Range system (LRS). The DragonLink offers a much stronger link between the transmitter and aircraft, especially if you use 1.2GHz on the video, as it's a harmonic of 2.4GHz. The DragonLink paired with the 1.2GHz VTx makes a rock-solid connection between the pilot and the aircraft that's great for proximity flying around obstacles and long distance runs.

Keeping antennas and components out of the air flow is important with the Goblin, as the drag can show a marked decrease in top speed. I chose the TrueRC Singularity 1.2GHz antenna, mounting it inside the foam cockpit hatch where it can still "see" right through the foam and is aerodynamically invisible. The Singularity can be paired with any circular-polarized ground antenna with exceptional results.

The fuselage has room inside for all your FPV equipment, but getting your hands in there to install components and wire up the Eagle Tree Vector is a little difficult. I utilized hemostats to wire up the Vector, and accessed them through the wing slots in the fuselage. Once the wiring is complete and the wings are bolted together, you'll rarely need to remove them thanks to the Goblin's small size and wingspan of only 39".

Editor's Note: RMRC sent me a pair of balsa elevons as a soon-to-be-released upgrade for the Goblin. The balsa elevons are covered in black film and have substantially more surface area than the stock foam elevons. They are easy to install with packing tape, and their performance is noticeable in roll rate. Watch the video review to see how they perform on the Goblin!

Video Review

ReadyMadeRC Strix Goblin - RCGroups FPV Review (12 min 7 sec)

Conclusion

Watch the above video, and you'll see just how well the Goblin performs. It's fast and efficient, only pulling around 8 amps at 70mph. Open up the throttle and the Goblin draws between 25 and 30 amps at WOT, with a top speed just north of 100mph. One of the most surprising flight characteristics was it's docile stall. The Goblin gets sketchy at around 28mph, and begins to stall around 25mph. When it does stall, it doesn't want to drop the wing violently liked I assumed it would. Again, watch the video and you'll see my stall test.

I highly suggest investing in a Goblin to take your fixed wing FPV career to the next level; it's fast, agile, and a blast to pilot around at any altitude, even right down on the deck at terminal velocity. Thanks for reading and watching my review of the RMRC STRIX Goblin, and happy FPV'ing!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jul 13, 2017 at 03:40 PM..
Jul 10, 2017, 12:48 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Looks SWEET, man!
Jul 10, 2017, 03:33 PM
Thats a sweet Singularity install if it doesn't attenuate the signal much.
Jul 10, 2017, 04:00 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svede
Thats a sweet Singularity install if it doesn't attenuate the signal much.
Thanks. Watch the flight report video, it does pretty well there.
Jul 10, 2017, 08:52 PM
-NEFPV-
thats awesome. Did yours come with all the stickers on?
Jul 10, 2017, 10:01 PM
RCGroups Editor
This one for review did, but the ones shipping now do not; decals are on the sheet.
Jul 12, 2017, 05:53 AM

Eagle tree Vector!

Hi Matt!

How did you get the Vector leveled? Because there is absolutly no room for the vector on the wood thing that you mount to the carbon fiber spars. It is very hard to see what you did on the picture cause it is so small. An what did you use to make the elevons?

I would be thankful for a feedback?

Best regards,

Tyge
Jul 12, 2017, 07:29 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagbart
Hi Matt!

How did you get the Vector leveled? Because there is absolutly no room for the vector on the wood thing that you mount to the carbon fiber spars. It is very hard to see what you did on the picture cause it is so small. An what did you use to make the elevons?

I would be thankful for a feedback?

Best regards,

Tyge
As I'm sure you're aware, that shelf fits the smaller Micro Vector much better. However, all I had on hand was the full-sized Vector. I leveled it quite easily on the tray by gluing down a few pieces of balsa wood to bring it up level with the front spar. The elevons were given to me by ReadyMadeRC to test and evaluate as they should be stocking them as aftermarket upgrades soon. They increase roll rate but that's about it; the stock elevons work just fine.
Jul 12, 2017, 10:29 AM
My prototype Goblin didn't come with that tray so I simply put the Vector on the floor,
and leveled it with a couple patches of Velcro at one end. If you do that, just be sure
to give some separation between Vector and the ESC (and wires in and out of it).
To that end, I stuck the ESC to the side of the fuse near the floor on one side, with
Rx on the other side, and Vector offset slightly to the Rx side to keep it away from the ESC.
Jul 13, 2017, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
As I'm sure you're aware, that shelf fits the smaller Micro Vector much better. However, all I had on hand was the full-sized Vector. I leveled it quite easily on the tray by gluing down a few pieces of balsa wood to bring it up level with the front spar. The elevons were given to me by ReadyMadeRC to test and evaluate as they should be stocking them as aftermarket upgrades soon. They increase roll rate but that's about it; the stock elevons work just fine.
Hi and thanks for the help. Just one more question. Where did you put the GPS?
Jul 13, 2017, 08:47 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagbart
Hi and thanks for the help. Just one more question. Where did you put the GPS?
Double-sided taped to the roof of the fuselage, right behind the hatch.
Jul 13, 2017, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Any chance you would post a picture of the inside of the goblin showing vector placement?
Jul 13, 2017, 11:29 AM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu flyer
Any chance you would post a picture of the inside of the goblin showing vector placement?
The picture is in the review here:

Jul 17, 2017, 07:09 PM
-NEFPV-
vector can also go under plywood deck.
Jul 18, 2017, 09:22 AM
Is that top shelf removable for easy Vector install?

It looks like the Goblin is the perfect use case for the Runcam Split. Has anyone tried this with a Vector yet?