Jul 09, 2017, 11:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

SIG Ninja airfoil change

Hi All,

Just getting back into slope soaring after many years. Last time was in the 70's at Dockweiler Beach. Anyhoo, I picked up a Sig Ninja kit today. What exactly is wrong with the "dated" airfoil and what would you recommend for an updated section? I know about beefing up the fuselage, etc.

Thanks,

BigR
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2017, 12:00 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Nothing fly it as a Ninja ,and enjoy the retro
Jul 10, 2017, 12:18 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
I agree, leave the wing as is.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:43 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
What exactly is wrong with the "dated" airfoil and what would you recommend for an updated section?

The wingsection of the Ninja is an Eppler 374. It certainly not outdated and is one of the better airfoils for inverted flight. I actually quite like it..

Good luck with the Ninja, it's a cool plane.

Maarten
Jul 10, 2017, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
...... What exactly is wrong with the "dated" airfoil and what would you recommend for an updated section?
You want to change the airfoil to do what ? The E-374 is a good airfoil and the only "wrong" is need air like some others, with the Ninja's wing geometry is pretty good. Has pretty good low Rn, energy retention and great inverted flight.

If you want the plane make the task for that design the only airfoil +/- may be can do the same as the E-374 is the SD6060, basically is the same as the E-374 but "updated" and some peolple say is better ...... I don't think so, at least in the Ninja

Keep the E-374, build the plane, fly it and enjoy it
Last edited by PA22; Jul 10, 2017 at 08:41 AM.
Jul 10, 2017, 08:47 AM
A newer E-374 was published in Sailplane &Electric Modeler. Drawn by Eppler himself. I incorporated into my Phase 5 build but still haven't flown it yet. I did have and fly a Ninja a few year's ago, a great standard.
Jul 10, 2017, 10:53 AM
It's a good flying plane--don't change it!
Jul 10, 2017, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
OK, you have convinced me, leave it alone. So much for the so-called "experts" on the 'Net. A wealth of misinformation at your fingertips.

BigR
Jul 10, 2017, 12:49 PM
Brett
I'm not going to say anything bad about the Ninja in particular...it's a fine airplane. But I've certainly had some older slopers with the E374 (Dragonfly and a Vortech P-51) where the wing seemed to lack any kind of enthusiasm for turning.
Jul 10, 2017, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx
A newer E-374 was published in Sailplane &Electric Modeler. Drawn by Eppler himself. I incorporated into my Phase 5 build but still haven't flown it yet. I did have and fly a Ninja a few year's ago, a great standard.
Some years ago I read about the Dr. Epplers's improvements on the E-374, until now I can't find the co-ords for that improvement ...... I'm reading /hearing about that improvement since 2008, some threads here in RCG and in 2012 looking the SEM index without any reference.

Maybe is an "off topic", but Do you has any info (co-ords, image, etc.) ?

Thx
Jul 11, 2017, 12:46 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
If you thin it to 8% its virtually an RG 14
Jul 11, 2017, 12:47 AM
Give me a chance to look for the Eppler modded 374 the page had co-ordenant's and a drawing.
Jul 11, 2017, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
If you thin it to 8% its virtually an RG 14
+1

Done
Jul 12, 2017, 06:23 PM
Ok here's the page from S&EMODELER of the new E-374.
Jul 12, 2017, 06:48 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
The Ninja is awesome! It's the plane that inspired what has now become my lifelong passion for slope aerobatics.

You could certainly change it... but then, you could make a bunch of other changes to it, as well, that would make it a much better slope aerobatics plane.

But then it wouldn't be a Ninja, and Ninjas are awesome!

So just enjoy it. Three servos for the win!

Quick Reply