ReMotCam F3F: automatic F3F measuring system - RC Groups
Jul 09, 2017, 07:45 PM
New Product

ReMotCam F3F: automatic F3F measuring system

Hi all,

Iím proud to present ReMotCam F3F, my development that makes use of remote MotCams to manage automatically a complete F3F competition or F3F training session. Iíve been working on this project for more than a year in parallel with the development of MotCam.

MotCam software has been previously presented on this forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...jects-detector

MotCams are placed on Bases A and B and automatically detect the planes crossing the lines. Every time detections are done by any of the cameras, a message is sent through the network identifying the camera that has done the detection.

ReMotCam F3F searches for all cameras connected to the same subnetwork and it communicates with them receiving messages sent by all MotCams and sending commands to them for doing an efficient management of all their camera settings, detector settings, detection directions, activation and deactivation, objects detections, and even real-time image streaming.

ReMotCam F3F makes use of Text to Speech techniques to inform through the speaker of all phases, countdowns, laps and all situations that could happen during a competition or training session. It also makes use of an USB relay, if present, that will be closed during 0.5 seconds on each flying phase change. Itís especially useful connecting a siren to this relay to be heard by the pilot, but this relay can also be used to connect it with other third-party devices.

It is possible to connect ReMotCam F3F with a third-party meteorological station to have real-time information of wind speed and wind direction, and consider this information to offer a reflight in case of no flying conditions, as per FAI rules. It also manages the delayed time and cancels automatically the round in case of more than 30 minutes delay.

All possible F3F situations can be managed with the application: penalties, reflights, groups scoring, different starting order per rounds, etc., making use of the automatic detection made by remote MotCams. Results can be stored in F3XVault format, which allows uploading them to F3XVault.com after each finished round to have immediate event information and classifications.

ReMotCam F3F has been strongly tested in order to find and correct bugs and defects on its code. Beta program for this software is launched today, with a reduced price of 200 euros. Once the final version is launched, beta testers will receive a registered copy of this version for free.

Complete user manual can be downloaded from this url:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v567urlyow...anual.pdf?dl=0

I hope you like it.

Best regards,

Alvaro.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2017, 07:53 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
You have been busy this past year Alvaro! Congratulations!

I am downloading the User Manual now.
Jul 10, 2017, 09:33 AM
Way to go, Al!
Jul 10, 2017, 10:45 AM
Just for curiosity, what happened to Lap 10 ?
Jul 11, 2017, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter
Just for curiosity, what happened to Lap 10 ?
Nothing. Lap 10 is final time and it's annotated on the times list below
Jul 11, 2017, 04:26 AM
Look ma', no buzzmen!

ReMotCam F3F buzzing without buzzmen (0 min 47 sec)
Jul 11, 2017, 04:27 AM
ReMotCam F3F buzzing for Jose Luis Alvarez Fernandez. I'm using an ereader with remote desktop to have a great visibility and no wires over the table.

ReMotCam F3F automatic manager for F3F competitions (1 min 2 sec)
Jul 11, 2017, 04:35 AM
Some photos from the last testing on Vitoria.
Jul 11, 2017, 10:45 AM
Al this looks awesome!!!!

Three questions poped to my mind......

1) if a bird goes by will it beep?

2) How fast is the latency ?

3) How far away can the model be from the camera and still be detected ?

It looks really good Al!!!

Kyle
Jul 11, 2017, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Paulson

Kyle
Hi Kyle! Thank you very much!

1) MotCam (the software on the camera) is directive. That means that it only detects objects in the correct direction. That removes a 50% of the false positives. Also, you can configure the minimum size for the detected objects, that's removes another percent. Also, it only consider trajectories compatibles with a plane (i.e. it doesn't consider zigzag or erratic trajectories). Finally, ReMotCam F3F (the software managing the competition) does not activate the detection immediately, but some seconds (average time for laps divided by 2) after the previous pass and only on the specific base. That reduces a lot the chances of a bird doing a false positive. But... it can happen that a big bird flies in the same direction than the plane and crosses the base 1 second before. In this case, pilot should do a reflight.

2) Latency depends on the computer used on the base, the number of cameras attached (1 or 2) and if you are recording videos with them. With an i5 laptop and 2 cameras recording video I got about 60 processed frames per second, what means about 70 milliseconds including internal processing time for the camera (about 40-60 milliseconds). With an i7, it's 75 processed FPS (maximum possible). Have in mind that human processing time is 280 milliseconds average, see https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests...ime/statistics. Normally, if you try to buzz ďhonestlyĒ at the same time, you will hear it buzzing before you press the button. Propagation time using gigabit Ethernet is much less than a millisecond.

3) The cameras Iím using (Sony PS3 Eye) have 2 zoom positions: 56 and 75 FOV. Using 2 cameras at 56 FOV I can detect planes at more than 150m. But, if you decrease the minimum size of detectable objects, you increase the risk of false detections for birds or insects (bees, etc.). See this F5B training session; itís detecting a 1x1 pixel object:
MotCam detecting 100% F5B planes on bad weather conditions (5 min 9 sec)

All the best,

Al.
Jul 12, 2017, 03:20 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Quote:

Kyle
Kyle!!!

If you came to any of the latest SCSR races you would notice that I am actually testing this system integrated with Simon's wireless system. I've been involved with the Beta releases that Alvaro has had over the last few months. I've got Cameras and computers and everything!

We hope to have it working soon!

And yes, I've tested it on F3B stuff too, but that needs a bit more testing, cause yeah, the planes are much smaller in the frames...

Tim
Jul 12, 2017, 11:24 AM
Hey Timmy!!!!

Yeah so maybe for Distance far away could be a real challenge.

But the way it's working for F3F...... it sounds like it's better than a human?

Good stuff!!!!

Al thanks for taking the time to explain in such detail.
Jul 12, 2017, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Hey Timmy!!!!

Yeah so maybe for Distance far away could be a real challenge.

But the way it's working for F3F...... it sounds like it's better than a human?

Good stuff!!!!

Al thanks for taking the time to explain in such detail.
Well, it's better than a human in terms of reaction speed and consistence (it never gets bored and it's always concentrated on the task). It's worse in terms of identifying difficult situations with lots of birds or artifacts in the background and distinguishing between more than one plane flying at the same time.

Thank you Kyle!
Jul 12, 2017, 03:59 PM
F3B and F3K
Hi Alvaro

Could the system buffer the last run in memory or save all runs on disk*? Because if there is a suspicion of a wrong detection or a missed buzz, then the CD could proof-read the run to see if the plane really passed or not.

This would be an advantage over human buzzing, because when there is a dispute over a buzzing error, it could be resolved immediately.

Cool work, keep it up.

Best,
Reto

* how much data would be generated per run, just to get an idea if this could be handled by a normal laptop?
Jul 12, 2017, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X
Hi Alvaro

Could the system buffer the last run in memory or save all runs on disk*? Because if there is a suspicion of a wrong detection or a missed buzz, then the CD could proof-read the run to see if the plane really passed or not.

This would be an advantage over human buzzing, because when there is a dispute over a buzzing error, it could be resolved immediately.

Cool work, keep it up.

Best,
Reto

* how much data would be generated per run, just to get an idea if this could be handled by a normal laptop?
Hi Reto,

MotCam does the analysis completely in memory on real time. Recording video is optional. You can record non-stop video (since you launch the program until it's closed), detection videos (since you activate the detector until a detection is done), just the detection images (to see if it's a bird or a plane), or just nothing.

Videos are stored on the PCs with the cameras and can be immediately seen and analyzed. In case of recording detection videos, they include intuitive file names including date and time of start, round, pilot name, flight phase, base (A or B), and camera (up or down).

Detection images are also sent to the middle PC running ReMotCam F3F so you can see what it was in the exact moment of the detection.

MotCam (the software for the cameras) doesn't need too much RAM or hard disk (if you don't record video). Non-stop video takes about 600 MB per hour of disk space. The real requirement for running MotCam is the CPU speed. MotCam can run in any PC or laptop with Windows 7, 8 and 10 in both x86 or x64 versions. This PC or laptop should be selected accordingly with the processing speed needed. For simple normal speed detections with one camera, cheap PCs based in Atom Z8300 CPUs should be enough. For high speed objects with concurrent real time video recording or dual-camera support, it is recommended the use of higher-end ones (Intelģ Coreô i5 or i7). 1 GB RAM will be enough for most applications.

Cheers,

Alvaro.