Eachine X220S Wizard - F4, OSD, CCD - more "magic" or cheap tricks? (Review, wip) - RC Groups
Jul 09, 2017, 11:56 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Mini-Review

Eachine X220S Wizard - F4, OSD, CCD - more "magic" or cheap tricks? (Review, wip)

The first X220 Wizard made a solid impression, with good performance for a nice price. There were however some features missing, or not that well executed. Like wire connection mistakes, led-boards that could cause a short circuit, a less than average camera, no buzzer and no OSD. A few small improvement were cut in during production, but it was still missing some basic features. Still it sold well, and it seemed Eachine was just cashing in, and letting the criticism slide. But then the X220S appeared. Adding OSD, buzzer, a better camera, and maybe even more. Will it be "magic at it's best" or are the changes just some cheap tricks, to wring more cash out of the X220 design?

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review, instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic or on your RCG blog page. And please, no affiliate links!

Note: When clicking a link that is posted in this review, some text or numbers might be added to the link, making it appear to be an affiliate link. However, all links I post in the review are clean, and this addition is done automatically by your browser and forum software, so sadly beyond my influence. If you don’t want this to happen, copy the link, then paste in an address line of a fresh browser window/tab.

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter/Preparing for 1st Flight (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #2)
8: Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a picture and a link:

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Wiz...p-1155399.html

2 - Unboxing:

The X220S box was a little crushed, as the plastic bag and foam protection aren't enough to keep it well protected. Good thing there is a foam insert holding the quad, keeping it safe from harm.

Inside the box we find the quad, 2 bags containing 10 props each, one for CW and one for CCW. Some tie-wraps, a bag of spare screws, 4 prop nuts, self locking type, 2 Carbon Fiber spanners to tighten these nuts, and a holder for a square form-factor action camera.

Apart from the action camera holder, pretty much the same contents as the older Wizards. But quite a few things have changed. The flight controller has been updated to the Omnibus F4, which apart from more processing power, also adds OSD. Instead of a single ESC for each motor, the X220S uses a 4 in 1 30A ESC, which is part of the FC stack. The VTX has also been added to the stack, at the top, and uses a pigtail to connect a Pagoda-type antenna. So crashes will no longer result in damage to the VTX, all that can be damaged is the pigtail.

The frame seems identical at first, but when looking closer, the frame arms are not as wide as on the previous Wizards, probably because there are no longer ESCs mounted on the arms, dictating the width, but just some wires, covered by a neat purple fabric sleeve. The cross-brace at the bottom of the frame, holding the arms, is still the same though, so it's a little too big.

3 – Transmitter/Preparing for 1st Flight:

Since the ARF is mostly an RTF without battery, transmitter and receiver, it comes with a wire already soldered in place to connect an A8S FlySky receiver. However, this receiver is currently still suspect of range and brownout issues, an no confirmation of a true fix for these issues, so instead of making it easy for myself and just plugging in that receiver, I opted for another one.

Update 17 july 2017:

Installing a different receiver than stock proved to be a challenge. The FrSky receiver I used, was easy to wire up, but even after trying many different settings, there was no response on the receiver tab in the BF app. Eventually, after re-soldering and trying yet another different settings combination, the bars on the receiver tab came to life.

After checking the settings, adding a little deadband, and altering the modes to my preferences, a final test was done, without props, to verify failsafe was working, and if the min throttle was set properly. This turned out to be fine, so finally it was time to get it up in the air.

Since the stock props were reported to be very demanding as for current draw, and I might not have a strong enough battery for it, I decided to try different props, in this case the Fuuton F200 ones. With those installed, it was really ready to fly.

4 - Flying Performance:

For the first flight, a 3S 1500mAh LiPo was used. It might prove that the X220S would be very underpowered with this, but I just wanted to try it. And the results did surprise me:

Eachine Wizard X220S - Stock PIDs, 3S LiPo, F200 Props (2 min 40 sec)

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

Pros:

- F4
- OSD
- Buzzer
- Leds at the bottom, and programmable leds at the rear
- 4mm frame arms
- FPV antenna connected to pigtail, instead of directly on the VTX board

Cons:

-

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jul 17, 2017 at 04:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2017, 11:57 AM
7 - Camera & FPV Performance:

The button to select FPV channel and band is covered by one of the battery straps. It is however possible to feel where the button is, and press it, or lift up the strap, so you can just see the button, and press it with a small tool, preferably plastic, to avoid short circuit.

Before flying it with goggles, I wanted to test the stability of the FPV signal. This video was recorded when flying LoS:

X220S Wizard - FPV footage when flying LoS (1 min 59 sec)

There aren't as much lines in the video as I was expecting, after having seen other X220S FPV videos. So that's a plus. However, the installed receiver turned out to be a failure. RSSI warnings when flying LoS, within something like 75m. RSSI dropped as low as 22%, and even when hovering at some 10m away, the signal already dropped to 50%... So time to replace the iRangeX RX800 with a better receiver, before trying to fly FPV with it.

8 Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info

9 Suggestions for Improvements:
Last edited by SoloProFan; Yesterday at 06:21 AM.
Jul 10, 2017, 11:04 PM
just bought one of these, hoping to get it sometime this week I'll try to post some flight vid once i get it up running with my flysky fs-i6 controller
Jul 11, 2017, 03:00 AM
I hope you are more lucky than I am, currently struggling to get my FrSky receiver to work with it.

FlySky might be easier, the RTF also uses FlySky so the settings might already be correct and it will really be plug and play.
Jul 11, 2017, 03:31 AM
Lurking...posting...
Make sure you loctite those motor screws or you WILL have a bad day...this is the 2nd case of loose motor screws, there's another one on the r/multicopter subreddit where an entire motor flew off..

Don’t Fly your Wizard X220S Until You Do This!!! You MUST Loctite your motor screws! (4 min 8 sec)

Honestly though, with everything Eachine gives you for the money, I wouldn't mind paying $30 more if it means all the screws are tight and electronics are in check.
Last edited by UnderLing; Jul 11, 2017 at 03:38 AM.
Jul 11, 2017, 04:43 AM
Probably due to the motors being on dampers, using loctite is more important than ever. With hard mounted, the screws will usually stay in there if screwed in really tight, but when there is some flex, loctite is a must.
Jul 11, 2017, 07:49 AM
Motor screws should always have loctite on them.
Jul 11, 2017, 02:21 PM
True. Just in some cases manufacturers can get away without it, especially when screws are overtightened. Even then, it's best to check all screws for tightness, and when in doubt, re-install with loctite.
Jul 17, 2017, 04:03 PM
Finally got the receiver working, so I was able to make some first flights with the X220S. Check out chapter 4 for a flight video.
Jul 18, 2017, 02:17 PM
Recorded some OSD footage while flying LoS. Turns out that the RX800 receiver, that I installed, has some serious range issues. RSSI drops as low a 22%, even within 100m, and when hovering at 10 to 15m away, it's barely about 50%. So time to rip this short range RX out, and install a better one.
Yesterday, 06:20 AM
Replacing the receiver proved to be troublesome. An RX400 with diversity din't want to show any movement, despite being also sbus, and changing inverter settings made no difference. XM and XM+ receiver only worked intermittently. Finally soldered on a new wire, instead of first having soldered a different connector to the wire that was already in place for the RX800, and the XM+ kept working. Still the other wire showed good conductivity so hard to imagine it being the cause of the communication loss with XM and XM+.
Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Still the other wire showed good conductivity so hard to imagine it being the cause of the communication loss with XM and XM+.
I think a logic analyser should check the quality of the signal .... What's strange, for me the Sbus connexion worked sporadically first ....
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer