SPC Maker 95x - RCGroups.com Review

SPC Maker 95x - RCGroups.com Review

Splash

Meet the micro multi-rotor that is BIG fun!

Product:SPC Maker 95x
Size:76mm*87mm*23mm
Flight Time:4-5 minutes
Battery:7.4V 500mAh 30C (2 included)
Weight:96g (w/ battery)
Motors:SPC Maker 1104 7500KV brushless
ESC:Mini 4 in 1 BLheli_s ESC (2-4S LiPo)
Propellers:50mm 4-blade
Receiver:Receiver: Frsky/DSMX/Flysky/Futaba
Camera:600TVL HD CMOS 1/4 inch
VTX:5.8g 25MW 48CH NTSC/PAL
Flight Controller:OSDOminibus F3 flight controller w/ OSD module
Price:$144.95
Available from:buddyrc.com

There's something so nice about having a little quad that you can keep in your car, at work or backpack, and not have to sacrifice power, performance or features!

SPC Maker has carved a name for themselves recently as producers of high-performance micro race and freestyle drones at very attractive price points. The latest micro quad to come from SPC Maker is the 95X, and it's currently available and shipping from BuddyRC. The 95X comes with a pair of 2s 500mAh LiPo packs, a carrying case, FPV camera/VTx combo, and it's setup and ready to bang the sticks around inside or outside.

Two versions with different transmitter protocols are available: DSM2/X or FRSky. The SPC Maker 95X retails for $144.95 and is available at BuddyRC.

In the box

The first thing you'll notice is the very nice compartmentalized carrying case it comes in! The outside is a hard-shelled fabric, and inside is a very dense foam pre-shaped for the quad, batteries, props and more. Once I got the props on, I noticed the quad didn't quite fit in its spot without the prop tips slightly bending. I used my knife to cut a small rectangle away for both of the right-side props. Only about 1/8" had to be cut for it to fit nicely.

Included in the carrying case is: 2 sets of props, 2 2s 500mAh lipos, 2 velcro battery straps, 2 adhesive backed velcro strips, small zip-ties and screws to attach the props along with some extras.

The SPC Maker 95X appears to be built very nicely! Everything has its place, all of the wires are tucked away neatly. The carbon frame is thick and sturdy, and the bright purple edges are a nice accent and will help it show up when hiding in the grass. There are 2 bright LEDs on the rear of the quad that will help with orientation for LOS flight, or as a visual aid for anyone following you. Compared to my Tiny Whoop, the 95X is only slightly bigger; but it sure does feel bigger in the air!

The quad comes equipped with 4 SPC Maker 1104 7500KV brushless motors, Mini 4 in 1 BLheli_s ESCs, a 600TVL camera, 5.8g 25MW 48CH video transmitter, and a OSDOminibus F3 flight controller w/ OSD to run it all. The board is flashed with Betaflight, which makes binding and configuration pretty simple. A couple of commands in the Betaflight CLI got it into bind mode, and after that setting up the modes and beeper were simple enough.

Flying the 95X

As soon as it lifted off, I could tell this had plenty of power to have a lot of fun with! Full-throttle passes down the length of the field honestly felt about as fast as my larger 210mm quad on 4s. Punch-out was impressive, even on just a 2s pack. Roll and yaw were both very quick and crisp with the default PID settings.

The board appears to only have 2 flight modes available, AIR and ACRO. AIR being your horizon level mode which will still allow you flip, but auto-level you afterwards. I did manage to get it into an orientation a time or two in which the gyro lost the horizon and spun me into the dirt, but only while trying stunts that I probably should've been in ACRO mode for.

The camera picture showed up crisp in my goggles and I had no troubles flying it around the field. I did lose video signal a few times when I got beyond it's range (it is only a 25mw VTX after all), but the signal was solid otherwise. The OSD is minimal, but displays your flight mode, pack voltage and flight time when armed...which is all you really need. Upon disarm, it displays your max amps pulled, mAhs used and other basic stats.

The little quad held up very well throughout the day despite several spins, tumbles and gate hits. The only damage ever present was the blades bending. I do think the stock blades are a little too soft, as they bend quite dramatically with any hit. This also means that they are resilient and will keep you flying longer without replacement, but bending them back after each tumble can become a bit of a chore. The battery came down at around 20% remaining after a 4-ish minute flight, which is not too bad considering the power of those little motors!

Review video

SPC Maker 95X RCGroups.com Review (9 min 18 sec)

Summary

Hits

• Great power
  • Crisp response
  • Attractive frame
  • Great carrying case
  • Comes BNF with batteries

Misses

• Case foam cutout for quad slightly too small
  • Props are soft and bend easy

The SPC Maker 95X is big fun in a little package! The appeal for no-assembly quads for those of us that haven't built our own yet makes these kinds of options great. Not only that, the build on this 95X is clean and attractive, and so is the price! It comes ready to go with 2 batteries and a very nice carrying case. The quad comes nicely equipped and has plenty of power for speed and agility. If you've been looking for something small to keep in your car or at work, or to rip around the yard with, or even to compete in mini quad racing...do yourself a favor and check out the SPC Maker 95x at BuddyRC!

Last edited by RCG_Jason; Dec 19, 2022 at 10:55 AM..
Jul 24, 2017, 01:48 PM
there seems to be a lot of jello ? Can you fix this issue by balancing or replacing the props ?
Jul 24, 2017, 02:23 PM
Retired US Navy
I'm getting more interested in the SP Maker quads but more the GF version for 3S (it comes with 3S batteries).

Questions... You say it has minimum OSD but would assume more items can be displayed with changing settings. I assume it has Betaflight or Cleanflight on it? Video say Betaflight so it's programmable... As are the modes...

What goggles did you use for your flights? I ask because you mention clarity and range of the AIO.
Last edited by Evan D; Jul 24, 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Jul 24, 2017, 04:36 PM
Nice
Jul 24, 2017, 05:45 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
SPC Maker have been making some nice quads for a little while now. Nice review!
Jul 24, 2017, 07:24 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
I'm getting more interested in the SP Maker quads but more the GF version for 3S (it comes with 3S batteries).

Questions... You say it has minimum OSD but would assume more items can be displayed with changing settings. I assume it has Betaflight or Cleanflight on it? Video say Betaflight so it's programmable... As are the modes...

What goggles did you use for your flights? I ask because you mention clarity and range of the AIO.
Evan,
It comes with Betaflight installed. And you're right, the OSD is configurable. I'd forgotten that between the time I initially set it up and writing the review. What's shown is how it's configured out of the box. As for the modes, only the one showed up on the MODES tab, and I didn't see a way to add any others. If you find otherwise, feel free to let me/us know and I'll update the review text as such!

I was using Eachine VR D2 goggles with their stock patch & RHCP antennae (yeah, I need to get better ones asap).
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 25, 2017, 05:37 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
NIce job, Nik.
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Jul 25, 2017, 07:02 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
Evan,
It comes with Betaflight installed. And you're right, the OSD is configurable. I'd forgotten that between the time I initially set it up and writing the review. What's shown is how it's configured out of the box. As for the modes, only the one showed up on the MODES tab, and I didn't see a way to add any others. If you find otherwise, feel free to let me/us know and I'll update the review text as such!

I was using Eachine VR D2 goggles with their stock patch & RHCP antennae (yeah, I need to get better ones asap).

Using BF configurator app, you can enable and disable many things on the OSD tab.

Same applies to the modes, go to Modes tab and change the modes, angle, airmode on a seperate switch, you name it. The Omnibus flight controller is very versatile, combined with Betaflight.

Btw, you didn't get any voltage drops on throttle punches? I found the stock batteries sagging quite a bit when punching the throttle on my SPC 90. It does use different props, 5-blade vs 4-blade on the 95X.
Jul 25, 2017, 02:27 PM
Looks nice, plenty of power and well tuned by the look of it.
Love these micro brushless quads and this one seems to be well made..
The case looks practice to transporting too.
Latest blog entry: Eachine E160 3d helicopter
Jul 25, 2017, 02:28 PM
Thank you RCG for the review!!!

After this published we have now sold out of the DSM version but we do have some FrSky still available. We are contacting SPC to rush ship more in asap.

We do have plenty of 90S available right now too!
Jul 25, 2017, 02:29 PM
Also we are not carrying the Futaba version at this time.
Jul 25, 2017, 03:10 PM
Retired US Navy
When will you get the GF's?
Jul 25, 2017, 04:29 PM
Glad I got my order in this morning for the frsky version!
Jul 25, 2017, 07:10 PM
Yeah, the price is right - I'd have trouble building one for less, and the nice little case puts it over the top.....
Jul 25, 2017, 07:11 PM
That was exactly my thought process rcflyair!

Quick Reply