Sep 16, 2019, 02:26 AM
Have two flight modes, one for "acro" with the instruction's throws and expo, then have a second flight mode named Fast where you have less elevator throw and a bit more expo. Also as mentioned, try moving CG forwards a bit.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0cnorth
Reduce ele throw or move cg forward.
Don't move the CG forward, this will only increase your stall speed for a given AUW. Moving the CG back should reduce the tendency to drop a wing but with the caveat that recovering post stall will be more difficult.

I'd just reduce the elevator throw and/or better manage pitch control.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:08 AM
How to fly a loop - powered or not? When I fly unpowered there is not so much kinetic energy from a short dive to do a larger loop and that's why I do the full elevator up. That works fine with EasyGlider - it does fine a tight loop without power with energy from an unpowered dive.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:30 PM
Suspended Account
I saw one of these fly last weekend, and though it's not normally my type of plane, I'm kind of intrigued. I could get the kit for €150. What would be a good power system and prop from Hobbyking? I have plenty of 9g servos... I would want to fly 4S, as I have way more of those in sizes from 1300 to 3700, whereas I only have a few 3S.

The plane I saw on the weekend looked like it flew really solidly and with great authority for a foamy. I thought the guy had 4S or maybe even 6S the way it was flying, but it was only 3S. He said he had a good prop on it though, and needed to be careful not to overheat things. It flew on rails though - and climbed like a champ.

Right now I have a Ranger 1600, overpowered with an SK3 3536 1400kv, 60a ESC, APC 8x6, and 4S. It's heavy though and does not float at all. It's just clearly not anywhere near as good a flyer as that Funray was.
Sep 24, 2019, 01:39 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Yeah, Multiplex foam planes are unlike any other foamies out there, nor do they fly the same.
Sep 25, 2019, 04:45 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatsek
How to fly a loop - powered or not? When I fly unpowered there is not so much kinetic energy from a short dive to do a larger loop and that's why I do the full elevator up. That works fine with EasyGlider - it does fine a tight loop without power with energy from an unpowered dive.
The Funray is quite a bit heavier than the EasyGlider, with a higher wingload and an entirely different wing profile. They were each designed for a different flight envelope. The FunRay needs more airspeed to pull through a loop.
I start a shallow dive to pick up speed, with no, or very little throttle, than pull gently up and feed 3/4 to full throttle to pull towards the top of the loop. At the top I close throttle, release elevator (feed in a little bit of down elevator if needed), to make a nice round loop, adjusting elevator continuously to keep the circle going. Depending on how high, or low, I am at the bottom of the loop, I may feed in throttle to continue level flight, or pull up to altitude again.
Sep 25, 2019, 10:21 AM
Suspended Account
So can I get some suggestions for a motor, ESC, and hopefully prop for a Funray kit? I'd prefer to order from Hobbyking. And I'd be flying 4S.

Or is it highly recommended to just get the (pricier, obviously...) PNP or whatever? Thanks.

I can get the kit for €150 shipped from Voelkner in Germany with an €11 discount coupon.
Sep 25, 2019, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
So can I get some suggestions for a motor, ESC, and hopefully prop for a Funray kit? I'd prefer to order from Hobbyking. And I'd be flying 4S.

Or is it highly recommended to just get the (pricier, obviously...) PNP or whatever? Thanks.

I can get the kit for €150 shipped from Voelkner in Germany with an €11 discount coupon.
One setup in my blog, but it has been linked before in this thread so maybe you’ve seen it already. 3s or 4s capable depending on prop.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=601424

Turnigy SK3 3640 1050
12x6,5prop
ZTE Mantis 65A
2000 mAh 3s (needs bigger batt)
EMax servos
MPX RX-9 and Cockpit SX

Weight 1772 g
Static 45A measured (the tiny battery limits this)
2600g thrust calculated

The prop for 4s is a 10x6. From memory the thrust was significantly higher vs the 3s/12x6,5

I made my own cables. That was the most time-consuming part of the build. The rest was very straightforward.
Last edited by KristofferR; Sep 25, 2019 at 12:47 PM. Reason: More text
Sep 25, 2019, 12:45 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks. I assume you mean SK3 3536 1050kv motor? Not finding anything 3640...

I love the SK3 motors, and have a couple different sizes in several planes...

Edit - Aha - 3548...(Youtube clip..) So OK, 3548 1050kv SK3 motor, 10x6 folding prop, then what, an 80a ESC? Guess I would get a Turnigy Plush 32-bit.. Or do I need a 100a? I guess I'd be using a Graphene 4S 2200, or maybe a Turnigy HD 4S 2200 60C, or a new Rhino 4S 2200 50C? I have some 2700 Zippys, and two new Rhino 4S 3300s as well... And one SLS 4S 3000... For servos I would just use the cheap metal geared ones I have bought in bulk from BG and HK I guess...
Last edited by Herrsavage; Sep 25, 2019 at 01:02 PM.
Sep 25, 2019, 01:23 PM
Suspended Account
So I'd be looking at the Funray kit, for €150, plus:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ner-motor.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ler-w-bec.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ack-large.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tgs-prec...black-1pc.html

Then I just need a spinner I guess, and yeah, servos. So what size spinner? I suppose if putting something like this together, I could get some better ones than the cheapos from BG or HK, like some E-maxxes or something...

Anything else? Thanks....

ps I have a %10 discount code for HK btw...

Edit - https://hobbyking.com/de_de/50mm-all...-adapters.html ??
Last edited by Herrsavage; Sep 25, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
Sep 25, 2019, 03:22 PM
totally mad pilot
Quote:
So I'd be looking at the Funray kit, for €150, plus:

Edit - https://hobbyking.com/de_de/50mm-all...-adapters.html ??
You will need a 55mm spinner...
Sep 25, 2019, 04:19 PM
the kit version comes with the stock spinner that fits 5 mm motor shafts
Sep 25, 2019, 11:58 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks. So the list looks good then?

This plane, even on the cheap, is a fair bit pricier than what I am used to buying(20+ models), so have to think on it a bit. Need to get home(working on the road) with wifi and watch some Youtube videos. I was quite impressed with it watching the couple at this club last weekend. I have a new job which has me visiting clubs more, something which a few months ago I never did. So it's all a bit in flux. I like the idea of being able to break it down and store it in a bag. Also that it can fly fast and "sportily"... One of these clubs even has a slope they say they fly at in winter, which sounds awesome. I am not of the "it's winter so flying season is over" school. There are gloves and hats for that. Hmm.. Decisions, decisions...
Sep 26, 2019, 03:56 AM
Quote:
I like the idea of being able to break it down and store it in a bag.
Hi, you can even store it in the box if you wish
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3098069
Sep 26, 2019, 01:33 PM
Sorry about the 3540. Gotta change that post.
I ran the numbers in ecalc and I think the 4s might have had less Amps but more Watts.

I need some ballast up front with the 3s 2200 so I would probably go up to a 3s 3000-3500 or an equivalent weight 4s.

I tried of course 4s and the big prop static, but the amps went through the roof immediately.

The cables: The quick-release wings use M6 connectors. I think HK used to sell a kit with these. Unless you really like to solder, the MPX kit is good value, but usually the cable lengths don’t match whatever the non-MPX servos use .

After putting my kit plus parts together, the RR does not seem so pricey. But I like building.

Decisions... decisions. I have flown so many RC planes and eventually realized that I like what I like and it changes as I grow as a pilot and figure out what I want to do. Still, there are several models I had that just looks fantastic on YouTube and flown by others but they don’t work for me. So I have a bunch of shelf-warmers and many that were sold or given away. �� And the list of things I want to try is long! The FunJet is a model that on paper does not fit my at all but I’m still very curious...

Quick Reply