This thread is privately moderated by JulianGoesPro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 08, 2017, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

RFOSD FW + Piggy/MicroMinim OSD // BuildLog // Revolt // F400 // Current PDB

I am super excited to finally get to play with the Piggy OSDs from Banggood since so far I only had the original HUGE minimOSD to test the RFOSD FW on

This is how I ended up enjoying it

But first lets check how the Piggy looks and how it fits on the "HS1177 style" cam... in this case it's a swift 1 which makes it a bit more difficult to fit since the S1 uses different screws (smaller) and therefore it sin't a perfect match... but doable... you will see

Drops in nicely but you can notice that the screw holes don't line up perfectly

..and the short "stock" screws don't allow for letting it screw on loosely...

so I made some holes with my soldering iron in it to gain some millimeters

added the pins and soldered the original connector to the osd...

screwed on the lid... and noticed I forgot the Rx wire lol... (connecting Rx on the Piggy to Tx4 on the Revolt)

make sure you get your connector right... 5v isn't in the middle anymore like most of the time with "servo connectors"

last test before I mount it inside the canopy...

Don't get confused with that white wire, had no other colored wire laying around... that one on Rx3 is for SmartAudio, the white one from the Piggy Tx pad is going to the bottom of the revolt and it's Tx4 pad

Super happy with the Unify... just a bit said it doesn't do audio... (easily with SA)

and again a look at the final setup

What I learned from this build is that I will be using a 90į connector next time... like this it's limiting my cam angle (connector will touch FC) but not enough for me to "redo it"
Other than that I hope "remaiden" will go well though I have high hopes the Unify will handle the additional current draw like a champ!

Swift2
PiggyOSD
MicroMinimOSD
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Aug 26, 2017 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2017, 06:38 PM
Thread OP
Unboxing:
Unboxing // Piggy OSD // Banggood (3 min 23 sec)

Flashing:
HowTo // Flashing RFOSD // Slack // Pigy OSD (2 min 7 sec)

Setup in RF1:
set telem_rfosd=4 (Tx4 pad on the bottom of the V1 Revolt)
set adc_current_factor=0 (I have no current sensor connected so I set it to 0 which will 0 out in the OSD instead of going nuts)

DVR // RF1 // 300 // too much fun // crash (2 min 16 sec)
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Aug 02, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Jul 15, 2017, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Swift 2 with PiggyOSD (MinimOSD)

After the success with the Swift 1 I had to try it with the Swift 2, this time I wanted to make one "connector" for all:

Rx / Audio / 5V / GND / VI_O

That's how I did it

With the Swift 2 the screws and the screw holes are a perfect match, could even use the stock screws to mount the Piggy on the top of the back plate

Everything is super tight and I had to shorten the "pins" for the cam osd connector (made sure I disabled cam osd before that though I think it would still work) and made the cam connector (with audio) a bit smaller but cutting off the right "ear" next to the audio wire...

All in all, maybe even easier then what I did with the V1

PDB
Swift2
PiggyOSD
MicroMinimOSD
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jul 27, 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Jul 23, 2017, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
This is the SPMFC F400 running RF1 hocked up to a MicroMinimOSD flashed with RFOSD and an IRC Tramp connected to a Swift 2

The MicroMinimOSD is powered by the PDB's 5V out but since the F400 has it's own 5V reg it sure could power that OSD as well^^
Another cool thing with this combo is that the Tramp supports both TLM and audio at the same time without any mods, so we are taking advantage of the build in mic of the Swift 2 here.

This is the SPMFC F400 running RF1 hocked up to a PiggyOSD flashed with RFOSD and a TBS Unify connected to a Swift 2

Now it gets kind of confusing with the F400... as of right now (RC18 / 300) you hook the Tramp TLM or Unify SA up to Tx4 and the OSD to Tx2 but in the CLI those are the right commands to get it working:

// RFOSD + Tramp
set telem_rfosd=2
set telem_tramp=3
save

// RFOSD + Unify
set telem_rfosd=2
set telem_smartaudio=4
save

power cycle and you should be able to control the vTx via your transmitter and see the RFOSD in your FPV feed

F400 and PiggyOSD
DVR // RF1 // F400 // RFOSD // Too Much Fun = deal lipo (2 min 36 sec)

PDB
Swift2
PiggyOSD
MicroMinimOSD
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jul 27, 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Jul 23, 2017, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
Found this Matek PDB with a 0-3.3V current sensor on bangggod which I ordered and am going to hook up to my revolt to test the "current" OSD part

Matek FCHUB-6S Hub Power Distribution Board 5V & 10V BEC Built-in 184A Current Sensor

Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jul 29, 2017 at 03:42 AM.
Aug 24, 2017, 02:54 PM
QuadRotorMOTOboater
Are you running any telemetry with spektrum rx and tx? I've almost completed my work with a 5" with: Unify Pro HV, Spm4649T rx, micro minim, revolt v2 and bolt 4in1. My problem is trying to get the current read from the bolt to the transmitter with the telemetry rx. I'm getting my pid tuning menu and smart audio menu, also the pack voltage but no amperage reading or milliamp draw reading on my transmitter (dx6g2). Let me know what you think.
Aug 25, 2017, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by srREXed
Are you running any telemetry with spektrum rx and tx? I've almost completed my work with a 5" with: Unify Pro HV, Spm4649T rx, micro minim, revolt v2 and bolt 4in1. My problem is trying to get the current read from the bolt to the transmitter with the telemetry rx. I'm getting my pid tuning menu and smart audio menu, also the pack voltage but no amperage reading or milliamp draw reading on my transmitter (dx6g2). Let me know what you think.
I do not have the bolt but received just today the shipment from BG I was waiting for such a long time so will be able to test the current sensor stuff hopefully today (PiggyOSD 2 and the Matek Current PDB)

...and yeah, all my Revolt Quads have the SPM4649T soldered onto Tx3 aka "the Revolt Spektrum Stack"
Aug 26, 2017, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
So I finally got to solder everything together (and moving from the Realacc X210 over to the XS220E frame) to test the Matek Current PDB with the RFOSD...

DVR RF1 RFOSD Current Test (0 min 33 sec)

I know current values are still off, but look like it's showing around 4000 instead of 300mA so will just need a little bit of tinkering with the current factor

EDIT: going to fly now with "set adc_current_factor=32.000" for now... more testing will follow...

Edit^2: "Scale the output voltage to milliamps(1/10th mV/A): 179"

and BTW I received the Piggy OSD V2^^ (really nothing special about it, it just no longer covers the mic on the swift 2... and the pads are repositioned... wow... not... )
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Aug 26, 2017 at 04:27 PM.
Sep 02, 2017, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
And another update! This time the current pdb aka Matek FCHUB and the PiggyOSD V2!

Still need to calibrate the current read out but OSD is working nicely on Tx6 as well as hooking up both the mic out on the swift and the audio of the unify to Rx3... will be interesting to see how the audio quality will suffer... indoor testing shows some audio with good enough SmartAudio success

DVR // RFOSD // PiggyOSD V2 // Revolt // Matek FCHUB Current PDB (0 min 15 sec)
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Nov 26, 2017 at 07:54 AM.
Sep 10, 2017, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Wish I could show more than half a pack... but the Orca wasn't allowed to stay alive for that long^^

DVR: NotEvenOneLap // RF1 // RFOSD // Swift Meets Pole (1 min 3 sec)

Edit: Quick update, since 234 (this was flown on 235) I am using Tx6 for OSD, Tx1 for the SPM4649T and Rx3 for SmartAudio aka Unify
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Sep 10, 2017 at 01:01 PM.
Dec 30, 2017, 07:50 PM
Thread OP
Troubleshooting:

If you see the normal video feed but no OSD
=> something with either the OSD hardware is wrong or the RFOSD FW wasn't successfully flashed onto the OSD.
==> reflash the FW and/or try a different OSD

If you only see "RaceFlightOSD" in the corner of your video feed
=> your OSD hardware is working and you successfully flashed the RFOSD FW, but there is no communication from the FC to the OSD
==> check if the right Tx pad on the revolt/millivolt is selected in the gui that is wired to the Rx pad on the OSD
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Dec 30, 2017 at 07:56 PM.
Jan 10, 2018, 11:22 PM
Build-Fly-Crash-Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
This is the SPMFC F400 running RF1 hocked up to a MicroMinimOSD flashed with RFOSD and an IRC Tramp connected to a Swift 2

The MicroMinimOSD is powered by the PDB's 5V out but since the F400 has it's own 5V reg it sure could power that OSD as well^^
Another cool thing with this combo is that the Tramp supports both TLM and audio at the same time without any mods, so we are taking advantage of the build in mic of the Swift 2 here.

This is the SPMFC F400 running RF1 hocked up to a PiggyOSD flashed with RFOSD and a TBS Unify connected to a Swift 2

Now it gets kind of confusing with the F400... as of right now (RC18 / 300) you hook the Tramp TLM or Unify SA up to Tx4 and the OSD to Tx2 but in the CLI those are the right commands to get it working:

// RFOSD + Tramp
set telem_rfosd=2
set telem_tramp=3
save

// RFOSD + Unify
set telem_rfosd=2
set telem_smartaudio=4
save

power cycle and you should be able to control the vTx via your transmitter and see the RFOSD in your FPV feed

F400 and PiggyOSD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJ7KvhH8-Q

PDB
Swift2
PiggyOSD
MicroMinimOSD
Great job Julian!!!
I wanted to use OSD to control TBS Unify and I found thread is what i'm looking for.

My PiggyOSD is on the way but my new cam and TBS Unify are ready to install, while I have a micro minimosd unused.
There are some question, I hope you can give me answers:
1. Since RFOSD f/w using Hex file while micro minimosd using ino file, so how did you flash RFOSD on Micro MinimOSD just like the post I quoted here? (CMIIW)
2. If I can't flash RFOSD on micro minimosd or I don't want to flash that, do I still can manage communication between MWOSD 1.7 with Raceflight board (Revolt V2) and control TBS Unify using OSD?
Jan 12, 2018, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks

1. I used a ftdi and I think I have a video linked in this thread showing it

2. I donít think there is a way to use MWOSD fw with RF1 if you think about hooking it up to the FC, sorry
Jan 13, 2018, 11:36 AM
Build-Fly-Crash-Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
Thanks

1. I used a ftdi and I think I have a video linked in this thread showing it

2. I donít think there is a way to use MWOSD fw with RF1 if you think about hooking it up to the FC, sorry
Been using ftdi and follow your video too for flashing micro minimosd but it seemed XLoader freezed on Upload Status. There were no finish indicator as the video.

I intended to use MWOSD because on their wiki page stated that MWOSD compatible with Raceflight so I wanted to use that if my micro minimosd failed to be flashed with RFOSD.

One more thing, I just want to make sure.
With combination of Revolt V2, TBS Unify and PiggyOSD, I need to connect SmartAudio on Revolt's Tx4 then PiggyOSD's Rx to Revolt's Tx3 right?.
I don't need to connect PiggyOSD's Tx to Revolt Rx's?
Jan 13, 2018, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by saTxRxasis
Been using ftdi and follow your video too for flashing micro minimosd but it seemed XLoader freezed on Upload Status. There were no finish indicator as the video.
Yeah, been there, sometimes it takes like forever and sometimes it just freezes and sometimes it's just not working

Quote:
I intended to use MWOSD because on their wiki page stated that MWOSD compatible with Raceflight so I wanted to use that if my micro minimosd failed to be flashed with RFOSD.
The early versions, known as BetaBuilds which were a branch of BetaF supported it, RaceFlightOne (RF1) doesn't AFAIK.

Quote:
One more thing, I just want to make sure.
With combination of Revolt V2, TBS Unify and PiggyOSD, I need to connect SmartAudio on Revolt's Tx4 then PiggyOSD's Rx to Revolt's Tx3 right?.
I don't need to connect PiggyOSD's Tx to Revolt Rx's?
Well, yeah, no need to hook up OSD Tx to the Revolt, I use for the Unify Rx3, Tx3 for my SPM4649T transceiver (control and telemetry) and Tx4 or Tx6 for OSD (going to the Rx on the Piggy)

Quick Reply