Custom transmitter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 07, 2017, 01:45 PM
Discussion

Custom transmitter

Hi
I usually hang out in scale boats and Doc talk. So if this has bin brought up recently I'm sorry. It always surprise me in a group of guys that build beautiful model boats there aren't more one off controllers and that ever ship/boat i have operated is right hand throttle left hand wheel or tiller. SO im looking for some help with size, shape and layout. Photos would be appreciated. My plan is to recycle a dx5e.
Thanks Matt
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2017, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
13 Gimbels sounds like a lot of work. From what I can see they still have the throttle on the left hand and the steering on the right hand
Jul 07, 2017, 07:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
That is standardization. The idea within the club, that we could hand off the
transmitters to other people in the club, and they would know the basic controls.
And Nautical commanders came with that basic setup.

Most gimbled transmitters can be shifted to Mode 1 simply by switching a spring and ratchet clip.

Jul 07, 2017, 11:48 PM
Submarines, etc.
left hand throttle, right hand wheel, but there is nothing stopping me from gluing the wheel on the other side... or building a new one with a moveable wheel and thumbstick... or one with a 3" ship's wheel instead of a car tire.
Jul 07, 2017, 11:58 PM
Quote:
That is standardization. The idea within the club, that we could hand off the
transmitters to other people in the club, and they would know the basic controls.
And Nautical commanders came with that basic setup.

Most gimbled transmitters can be shifted to Mode 1 simply by switching a spring and ratchet clip.

Are those all your radios or your clubs?
Jul 07, 2017, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal
left hand throttle, right hand wheel, but there is nothing stopping me from gluing the wheel on the other side... or building a new one with a moveable wheel and thumbstick... or one with a 3" ship's wheel instead of a car tire.
How many channels have you upgraded that skyfly radio two
Jul 08, 2017, 12:41 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Only the trio of radios are mine.
The rest I started photographing because every once in a while someone asks....
The sixteen channel was created by Martin Holst of Denmark, to run his fishing trawler(s).

Jul 08, 2017, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Only the trio of radios are mine.
The rest I started photographing because every once in a while someone asks....
The sixteen channel was created by Martin Holst of Denmark, to run his fishing trawler(s).

Cool thanks for sharing i will make shere to post what i do.
Jul 08, 2017, 07:28 PM
Submarines, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadmatt
How many channels have you upgraded that skyfly radio to
long story short... 16 channels if i use the FrSky or OpenLRSng protocol. 8 for most others. if i upgraded and installed a second RF deck, 32 channels.
Jul 08, 2017, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal
long story short... 16 channels if i use the FrSky or OpenLRSng protocol. 8 for most others. if i upgraded and installed a second RF deck, 32 channels.
Wow
Jul 08, 2017, 07:33 PM
Submarines, etc.
a little more detail:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7-Pistol-radio
Aug 23, 2017, 07:52 PM

Completely Custom Radio Controller

I wanted to model how a full-scale, dual-engine boat is controlled, so I made a custom transmitter and receiver. With this arrangement, the port and starboard motors can simulate being "put in gear" momentarily, in forward or reverse, so that the boat can be bumped to port or starboard, just as a full-scale boat is controlled around the docks.

The transmitter and receiver each use an Arduino Nano and a NRF24L01 radio module. The radio module takes 3.3 volts which is supplied by a buck converter. The Reciever and Transmitter are differentiated by the programming in the Arduinos. Each of the electronic components cost about $5.00, so the total cost of electronics is about $30. The switches and potentiometers cost less than $20. All-told the transmitter and reciever cost about $60. (Don't ask about the cost of design, programming and build time.)

The transmitter also includes a small printed circuit board which drives a red/green LED. The NRF24L01 automatically confirms communications and the Arduino shows it by lightning the green LED. When communications is lost, the LED turns red.

This arrangement makes it easy to add multiple switches and potentiometers. There is really only one channel that repeatedly reports a series of numbers (A structured class in the Arduino script).

In this incarnation, there are three potentiometers to control the rudder and each of the 2 electronic speed controllers (ESC). The position of the pots are reported to the receiver as a number between 0 and 1024. (Actually, each is intententionally limited in a narrower range.) The reported numbers are translated to appropriate servo and ESC signals by an Arduino built-in library implemented in the reciever.

Modeling the transmission (forward, neutral and reverse) is implemented with three position switches connected to analog input pins on the Arduino. In the center position (neutral) the Arduino in the transmitter sees zero at the corresponding analog pin. Using resistors as a voltage divider, the forward and reverse positions show the Arduino different values. With the right ratio of resistors, a high number (~5V) results in the forward position and a medium number (~2.5V) in the reverse position. Idle speed is simulated in the programing of the reciever. When a motor is "put in gear," the prop turns at the desired speed.

Three other switches are connected to digital (0 or 1) pins so the transmitter Arduino can report the position of those swtiches to the receiver. Two on/off toggle switches control lights. A third toggle switch is used to synchronize the motors, or not. A forth, momentary on switch, controls the horn. In the reciever, a transistor interfaces between the Arduino output pins to controls the lights. A mosfet, connected to another output pin, controls a relay to activate the horn.

With 6 analog pins and 13 digital pins in an Arduino, this arrangement can theoretically be used to simulate up to 6-servo channels plus 8 on/off switches (5 digital pins on the Arduino are used to communicate with the radio module).

I have not yet been able to test the range of the radio because one of the ESCs failed when I tried to test it on the water. (A new ESC is in the mail) It works well in the shop and with a clean line of sight between the boat and transmitter, I expect no problem with range. The radio modules have adjustable power output as well as selectable channels in the 2.4GHz range.

The AA battery holder, Arduino holder, buck converter holder, throttle holder and steering wheel are 3D printed. The case is made of aluminum sheet.
Sep 05, 2017, 04:05 PM
Here's my custom transmitter from 4 years ago. 100% Arduino pulsing out a PPM frame to 2.4Ghz HobbyKing transmitter module ripped out of a cheap HobbyKing 6-ch transmitter. The transmitter emulates engine-order-telegraphs and slowly ramps up and ramps down speed based on the engine orders given. Ship has twin screws which can be controlled independently. Also emulates a constant speed rudder, and has sound effects. See here:
Fletcher Destroyer Transmitter Update (15 min 20 sec)

Sailing video here:
USS Fletcher sail 8/23/2014 (13 min 23 sec)

I'm about to make a new custom transmitter for a Flower class Corvette.
Sep 05, 2017, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skystream
Here's my custom transmitter from 4 years ago. 100% Arduino pulsing out a PPM frame to 2.4Ghz HobbyKing transmitter module ripped out of a cheap HobbyKing 6-ch transmitter. The transmitter emulates engine-order-telegraphs and slowly ramps up and ramps down speed based on the engine orders given. Ship has twin screws which can be controlled independently. Also emulates a constant speed rudder, and has sound effects. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gAW0vQ24z8&t=399s

Sailing video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OvQb5yWBX0&t=187s

I'm about to make a new custom transmitter for a Flower class Corvette.
This is a great set up