Spektrum Focal DVR FPV Headset - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Spektrum Focal DVR FPV Headset

If you have used the FatShark Focal headset you know it does everything well. Now there is the Focal with a built-in DVR!

Splash

The FatShark Focal with DVR

I have been using the Focal V2 headset for a while now. The first thing to note is that the Focal really works well with my eyes. The POV is also something I appreciate. If I put on a set of goggles and the best thing that can happen is that I don't notice anything. That means I don't immediately feel that the POV is too small, or the image isn't crisp. This is the case with my Focal V2 goggles. For me they just work. The only thing I have really wished for is a built in DVR. This makes recording simple and keeps me from having to bring extra gear when I fly. I was very excited to hear about the Focal DVR. I actually got to try out a set a while back during my trip to Horizon. I'm very excited to announce them publicly!

The Spektrum™ Focal™ DVR FPV headset combines the video quality of a premium Fat Shark headset with digital video recording capability. Selectable aspect ratios offers you the best view of both worlds with crisp optics you can adjust for a perfect fit. No additional modules are required.

DVR

Integrated Digital Video Recording (DVR) capability allows you to capture your FPV experience through the flight camera already installed on your FPV vehicle or aircraft.

Image Quality

The 640x480 optics than can be viewed in either a standard 4:3 to a wide 16:9 aspect ratio.

HDMI Input

A built-in Mini HDMI input port makes it possible to use this headset while enjoying other video and HD digital systems like TV programs, home computing and online gaming.

Channel Adjustment on the Fly

The 5.8GHz video receiver with integrated LED Screen makes finding your channel effortless while adding the ability to scan the band for the best channel to use and change camera channels.

Wireless Head Tracking Link

A built-in module allows the Focal DVR headset to communicate with any Spektrum transmitter that has Wireless Trainer Link technology (up-to-date Spektrum AirWare™ firmware required) so you can enjoy a more immersive experience without the cord.

I have created a how-to video on that:

Focal V2 Fatshark Wireless Head Tracking - How To (6 min 53 sec)

Features

• Wireless head tracking and channel selection
  • Digital Video Recording (DVR) capability
  • 5.8GHz video receiver with integrated LED screen
  • Built-in cooling fan
  • Adjusts to user’s eye spacing (IPD)
  • FOV 32 deg diagonal
  • Optimized 640x480 optics for a crisp picture
  • Selectable 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio viewing
  • Comfortable, foam-padded mask
  • Mini HDMI input port
  • 1800mAh Smart LiPo battery with integrated charger, LED meter and USB port
  • Linear dipole antenna included

Specs

• Length:6.66in (169.2mm)
  • Width:3.15in (80mm)
  • Height:1.79in (45.5mm)
  • Weight:10.82oz (307g)
  • Voltage:7-13V (2S-3S LiPo)

Learn More

Head over the the Spektrum site to learn more about the Focal V2 goggles.

Jul 07, 2017, 01:26 PM
Quote:
The POV is also something I appreciate. If I put on a set of goggles and the best thing that can happen is that I don't notice anything. That means I don't immediately feel that the POV is too small, or the image isn't crisp.
Might be helpful to mention what the actual POV FOV is? I don't see it stated anywhere in the specs or the body of the article.
Jul 07, 2017, 01:34 PM
Administrator
I added it. The same as the Focal V2 - FOV:32 deg diagonal
Jul 07, 2017, 11:23 PM
I think it's worthwhile to read the Focal V2 manual to make sure you know what you are buying.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...nual-Multi.pdf

There a a few things to consider imho;

The DVR, like all current Fat Shark DVR's only records analog, not hdmi input.

The resolution stated is 640x480 (probably the same optics as the Atti V3/V4 and Dom V2) and the fov is 32 deg with the 4:3 analog settings. If you select the 16:9 analog option I think this is likely to black-out the top/bottoms to give you a 640x360 resolution. I'd guestimate that this will reduce the fov a bit, maybe to ~27-29 deg.

I cannot really imagine how well hdmi is going to work with these goggles. Either they will need to crop the sides for 720p or they will need to crop the top/bottoms for 480p (like the old Dom V2's, and are generally unusable). In either case I doubt that these are going to be very good hdmi goggles.

Head-tracking is no big deal and most fpv guys do not use this feature imho. If it was a chip that you could use with video game it might be useful? Don't really know since all I really want is good FPV goggles. If I wanted to buy video glasses I would look elsewhere.

I really wish that Spektrum and HH (I know, same company) would just stick with making great radios and great flying aircraft (ok, maybe except the Convergence vtol, lol!) and stay out of the fpv electronics game, esp. when they are just modifying/re-branding current Fat Shark (and maybe others) FPV gear.
Last edited by TomC; Jul 07, 2017 at 11:29 PM.
Jul 09, 2017, 05:04 PM
Agreed, I wouldn't mind 500. bux for a impressive pair but damn, it seems 1 step forward 2 back with this whole goggle mess. Its tough enough when you wear glasses, sheez all that money then you have to mod them to work? Come on guys make some improvements that work. I agree with the whole head tracker option what percent use that? useless for most. What generation are we working on now?
Jul 12, 2017, 12:36 AM
Is it a diversity receiver?
Jul 12, 2017, 02:27 AM
No diversity, it's basically the same oled module that is supplied with the new Attitude V4's.
Jul 26, 2017, 05:23 PM
Interesting...the specs for the DVR version show the resolution as 800x480 which seems closer to native wider aspect.

It looks like the "black bars" will be on the sides when you're in 4:3 mode.
Jul 26, 2017, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavRecon
Interesting...the specs for the DVR version show the resolution as 800x480 which seems closer to native wider aspect.

It looks like the "black bars" will be on the sides when you're in 4:3 mode.
Ya, I see that the original 640x480 spec has now been updated to 800x480 (same as Dom V3's). That's good, so at least you will still get 640x480 in 4:3 mode.
Jul 26, 2017, 07:03 PM
I was looking at the Attitude v4 (Anniversary Edition) but these have my attention now too
Aug 09, 2017, 12:50 PM
Looks like another massive letdown from Fatshark. The original Focal at least had diversity. This is just crazy overpriced. Don't get how it's better than the Attitude v4 which retails for $350. The only thing I see is the wireless head tracking, the HDMI, and the DVR, and those things can't possibly cost $150!
Aug 09, 2017, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTfan
Looks like another massive letdown from Fatshark. The original Focal at least had diversity. This is just crazy overpriced. Don't get how it's better than the Attitude v4 which retails for $350. The only thing I see is the wireless head tracking, the HDMI, and the DVR, and those things can't possibly cost $150!
Actually the Atti V4 also has a dvr. The original Focal's only had Antenna Diversity, not true diversity btw. The new FS oled vrx is very good imho. I'm using it on both my FS Dom V2's and HD3's. Works as well as my True-D v3.5, and I do not need to worry about over-taxing my FS goggle's voltage regulator.

Probably better to compare the Focal DVR headset with the current FS Dom V3's (same hdmi input, res and fov). For an extra $150 you are getting the new FS oled vrx module (unfortunately only with a crappy linear antenna), ability to select between 4:3 and 16:9 analog display (only 4:3 DVR recording though), new 2s1800 usb chargeable battery, and in-built 3-axis head tracker (wireless with newer Spektrum Tx's that have the wireless trainer feature).

Actually, the more I look at these the more I think that they are pretty good value. Plus they are backed by both very good FS and HH customer support.
Aug 16, 2017, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
Actually the Atti V4 also has a dvr. The original Focal's only had Antenna Diversity, not true diversity btw. The new FS oled vrx is very good imho. I'm using it on both my FS Dom V2's and HD3's. Works as well as my True-D v3.5, and I do not need to worry about over-taxing my FS goggle's voltage regulator.

Probably better to compare the Focal DVR headset with the current FS Dom V3's (same hdmi input, res and fov). For an extra $150 you are getting the new FS oled vrx module (unfortunately only with a crappy linear antenna), ability to select between 4:3 and 16:9 analog display (only 4:3 DVR recording though), new 2s1800 usb chargeable battery, and in-built 3-axis head tracker (wireless with newer Spektrum Tx's that have the wireless trainer feature).

Actually, the more I look at these the more I think that they are pretty good value. Plus they are backed by both very good FS and HH customer support.
So their only advantage is the HDMI and headtracking, plus a few minor minor minor design changes. Not worth it IMHO. DomV3 + OLED module is <$400.

But these are certainly a better value than the HD3s.