FrSky G-RX8 receiver Free Test! - Page 37 - RC Groups
Nov 09, 2017, 11:00 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
If you have not figured out that Frsky has a totally different release and product improvement cycle/ process then you have not been paying attention. This is totally normal for Frsky. You might not like it but you are also not on contract to use it...

Frsky isnt Multiplex - so stop expecting a company that can visualize a product concept and get it int he hands of consumers in less than a quarter to adhere to release cycles from a company that takes 5 times as long and doubles or triples the price of its products. That's not rational.

In short if this kind of thing is freaking you out, you have a lot of freaking out to do in the next 2-3 years.

This is a rough assessment of Frsky's market acquisition formula

1) Gain market feedback or leadership on new product designs from experts within the field
2) Take that information and then isolate the contributor and run with it in roughly 18 degrees off course...
3)Release a product that meets 90% of the need but contains serious bugs that need to be identified
4) Patch the product QUICKLY
5)Sell the stabilized product until a new bug is found.
6)Repeat 4 and 5

Am I happy that this is how Frsky appears to work? No, but I don't see a general corporate structure change so comparing them to other companies seems like a waste of text.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 01:02 PM

FrSky G-RX8 receiver Free Test!

Well i have to say that last weekend i flew some gliders very far away with default antenna’s on g-rx8. Not one single glitch. So they perform very well! The 31,xx mm needed for 1/4wave only applies to an unshielded 2,4ghz antenna. When it is extended with coax the 31,xx mm is not optimal.

I will test different exposed length also, but testing in range test mode / on the ground is very unreliable due to signal reflections and so on.. so better rely on the frsky rf engineers science i think.

BUT yes.. on a glider rx we want some longer reliable antenna’s 😉
Nov 09, 2017, 01:18 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
My experience in testing was that the real-world range on the G-RX8 was quite comparable to the X8R, and acheiving a good antenna installation was significantly easier with the G-RX8 than a stock X8R (I do need to order whiskers for my X8R's).

My only real observed issue with the original G-RX8 hardware was that I did manage to kill my CH7 output. Not sure if that was as a result of too much current through the trace (had my ESC/BEC on CH7 or more likely, I plugged it in backwards when re-wiring)
Nov 09, 2017, 02:56 PM
Is there a new hardware revision of g-rx8? If true, how to recognize it?
Nov 09, 2017, 05:59 PM
See post #537 where this and other questions were asked. Waiting on a response.
Nov 10, 2017, 04:21 AM
FJH
FJH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japie.G
Is there a new hardware revision of g-rx8? If true, how to recognize it?
See post #539
Nov 10, 2017, 07:25 AM
I replaced an X8R with a G-RX8 in my primary ALES plane. I did replace the antenna with longer ones (150mm replacements). My RSSI numbers were equal or better than the X8R. Quite happy with the receiver in its current form. I have no problem putting them in my planes.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
See post #539
I don't see anything official in #539, just your unattributed guesses.

Like others I want to hear the situation from FRSKY, or Aloft as the provider of the original statement about the hardware changes.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:11 AM
mostly gliders
Quote:
Originally Posted by toton
Like others I want to hear the situation from FRSKY, or Aloft as the provider of the original statement about the hardware changes.
Hello toton!
This may be the statement you want, a clip from Aloft Hobbies, https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-g-rx8.html

"IMPORTANT:

Be mindful of battery polarity when connecting to the G-RX8. If it is plugged in backwards it may be damage. Sorry, warranty does not cover this mistake. FrSky is working to improve this issue.
..."

/Ville
Nov 10, 2017, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toton
I want to hear the situation from FRSKY, or Aloft as the provider of the original statement about the hardware changes.
If you are specific on who you want to address your question - perhaps you should query them directly rather than in a public forum where any random person can read and reply.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:07 PM

Source for antenna support tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution
German to English translations Your English is far far better than my German. hats off to you sir.

Just make sure you check that the tube you use is not reactive to 2.4 frequencies - place it in the microwave for 1 min...on medium power. IF it melts or gets hot - then its absorbing 2.4 -
Thanks for the suggestion David about 2.4 reactive on tubing; hadn't thought of that. I have a bit of the correct diameter tubing on hand, but not enough. It was supposed to be used for CA application. Anyone know a source for .8mm or 1 mm i.d. clear plastic tubing? Found it on the Hyperflight site, rather not have to ship from across the pond.

Thanks
Nov 12, 2017, 04:57 PM
Registered Taranis User
I just strip insulation from a piece of wire.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: LiPo Fuel Gauge!
Nov 12, 2017, 05:08 PM
looking up, down under
i used micro heat shrink (1mm i think) on my orangerx once the cover they had on stripped off accidentally

they had the whole aerial covered, so i did that too

seems to have good range, but as it's only on a bonsai (600mm wing), i expect range > presbyopia will keep it safely in control
Nov 12, 2017, 06:33 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
My local electronics shop has 40 different sizes - you must have one near you someplace that sells variable sized heat shrink tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Andersen
Thanks for the suggestion David about 2.4 reactive on tubing; hadn't thought of that. I have a bit of the correct diameter tubing on hand, but not enough. It was supposed to be used for CA application. Anyone know a source for .8mm or 1 mm i.d. clear plastic tubing? Found it on the Hyperflight site, rather not have to ship from across the pond.

Thanks
Nov 12, 2017, 07:18 PM
I used 1.5 mm clear heat shrink tubing. No effect on range or rssi. Shrinks down tight enough. Mine came in a kit of different sizes from Ace Hardware. Just googled up 1 mm id heat shrink and there were dozens of source's.