FrSky G-RX8 receiver Free Test! - Page 3 - RC Groups
Aug 05, 2017, 04:16 AM
All my models are now in a half finished state and knowing what my building is like, it will be next summer by the time I get anything finished off haha.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2017, 04:42 AM
looking up, down under
oh...

send me mark's one as well then
Aug 05, 2017, 08:00 AM
Ben
I don't a freebe, just want to buy one!
Aug 05, 2017, 08:00 AM
Slow builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
the dates on the above posts, i think
Yeah delayed till Aug. So unless they've managed to get the test units out, tested & received feedback, rectified any issues & shipped stock to HorusRc in 5 days then my comment stands.
Someone from FrSky is asking for testers while a retailer is advertising the product for sale. No matter which way you cut it, that's not good.

Al
Aug 05, 2017, 05:42 PM
Old enough to know better.
Unless they have used this thread as a gauge for interest cloaked in a beta testing cape. Lots of people wanted one, so they put it out to market.

Edit. Just went to order one from Horus as I need to get some other FrSky stuff as well, and they show out of stock.
Last edited by udlman; Aug 05, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
Aug 05, 2017, 08:36 PM
looking up, down under
from previous "samples" from banggood, i would suggest that getting reviews on here is their way of gaining some well placed viral marketing to generate interest
Aug 05, 2017, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by udlman

Edit. Just went to order one from Horus as I need to get some other FrSky stuff as well, and they show out of stock.
It's normal practice for HorusRC to advertise new products before they are actually available for sale.
Aug 06, 2017, 12:53 AM
Old enough to know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
It's normal practice for HorusRC to advertise new products before they are actually available for sale.
At least we know that they are going to sell them then.

I have 2 models that they will fit perfectally in.
Aug 07, 2017, 01:25 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by udlman
Unless they have used this thread as a gauge for interest cloaked in a beta testing cape. Lots of people wanted one, so they put it out to market.

There was a big thread a few months ago where users basically sketched out a desired FrSky equivalent to Spektrum's AR9320T Vario-equipped carbon-fuselage telemetry receiver with diversity. FrSky clearly was paying attention to that thread.

FrSky usually posts a Free Test thread for new receiver models that aren't just adaptations of older models. I recall seeing one for the S6R and XSR receivers when they were announced.
Aug 08, 2017, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
There was a big thread a few months ago where users basically sketched out a desired FrSky equivalent to Spektrum's AR9320T Vario-equipped carbon-fuselage telemetry receiver with diversity. FrSky clearly was paying attention to that thread.

FrSky usually posts a Free Test thread for new receiver models that aren't just adaptations of older models. I recall seeing one for the S6R and XSR receivers when they were announced.
Previous thread

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n-for-FrSky%21
Aug 08, 2017, 08:51 AM
I'm a Spektrum fan and user but makes you wonder

9320T around 130 if you can even find one in the UK

G-RX8 32 (add a couple of the 12 XM+ rx's if you so wish to match the sats that come with the Spektrum unit)

Both will do as they are meant to in use. For someone who has a Frsky radio laying around, i know which one my bank account will let my buy.
Aug 16, 2017, 12:26 PM
I need one (5) of these!
Aug 16, 2017, 02:22 PM
Have a nice day! Kristjan
I just received my today. I got with EU LBT fw, binding without problems on horus. Hope to start testing it in model tomorrow.
Aug 16, 2017, 09:02 PM
looking up, down under
i'm waiting on mine, and will post info in a separate thread, and link it here once i have some useful information

as luck would have it the current weather is sunny, but the wind is gusting over 50kph
Aug 23, 2017, 07:50 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Mine came in Monday and I was able to pick it up from the post office today.

As mentioned above, I'm installing in a Graupner Cirrus (the classic 1969 design, built with optional Ailerons and an aerotow release) where it replaced a D8R-II.

I have at least 4 other ships that would benefit from the G-RX8, including 2 electric launch ships (Radian Pro and Multiplex Cularis, both currently using X8R's, a Parkzone KA8, whose X6R was recently removed and a Renaud Designs Emerald F3J moldie, running that same X6R) along with 2 in the build queue (Spirit Elite on the board, Spirit 100 with FH wing in the Queue). I will be picking up several of these for sure.

I’ve gone over the G-RX8 and the included manual and have a few comments already.

I Love the size and the form factor. Regardless of anything else this will become my standard receiver for all my gliders with more than 3ch control. The high-precision PWM outputs are a great value-add as well, as they will provide increased resolution on wing servos for 4 & 6 servo wings.

But it’s not perfect, and here’s a few notes on what I see as potential issues.

Hardware:

1. The S.Port connector is the same as the X4R/X4R-SB, but the pinout is different. The swap of the AIN and – pins means I cannot share wiring harnesses between the two (and the X4R is my standard receiver for 2-3ch applications)

Firmware/Manual

1. There’s no instructions on how to bind in non-Telemetry mode, even though the manual says the G-RX8 can be used as a Slave or as the second receiver in a 16ch bonded pair, both of which require binding non-telemetry. Given the small size of the G-RX8, it’s very attractive as a second receiver in a bonded pair. (note I have a X9D+ on 2.2.0 with the latest iXJT firmware, so I can bind non-telemetry from the menu, but that requires 2.2.x and the latest iXJT firmware)

2. The instructions indicate that the SBus In port is only active in Sbus mode and the ch7 output is not active in Sbus mode. This means you can have redundant receivers or more than 6 PWM channels, but not both without using additional hardware. This is significant because a competition electric-launch glider normally needs 7 channels (4 wing servos, rudder, elevator, throttle) and these gliders would benefit greatly from the use of a small slave receiver. The Sbus-In port really should always be active (and it would be nice, but not critical, to have ch7 always live as a low-precision PWM output)

Accessories:

2 wiring harnesses are included, same as the X4R/X4R-SB, but there are subtle differences. 1 is a 3-wire mini S.Port to standard S.Port cable, the other is a 4 wire harness with a mini S.Port connector on one end and bare wire at the other end.

1. The mini-S.Port to standard S.Port cable doesn’t include a spare wire for AIN, unlike the X4R version of that cable. That does make it easier to differentiate between which version you have, but means you need to build a new cable if you want to use AIN and a standard S.Port telemetry device

Some size comparisons, to a D4R-II with no case, S6R (same case as X6R) and D8R-II (about the same size as the X8R in length and width, but not as tall as it doesn't have the RSSI and SBus ports along the bottom)

And finally, installed in my Cirrus and bound:

I'll be picking up an XM+ for slave use sometime in the next week. The Cirrus isn't well configured for a slave installation, so I may move it over to my Emerald at that time.
Last edited by mawz; Aug 23, 2017 at 08:04 PM.