Jun 01, 2020, 08:17 PM
Ok, the problem seems solved.

I did update the firmware on my Tx, and then bound the Rx to it in Sbus mode. Servos were working normally.
Then I went to re-bind it back in PWM mode, and noticed that there was a option to set the max number of channels. It was set for 16, and I rolled it back to 8.

Re-bound the RX in PWM mode, and now everything seems to be working properly.

Hopefully this can help someone else who has this problem arise.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2020, 04:38 AM
Ardupilot Lead Testing

"Telemetry lost, telemetry recovered": it's a hardware issue of G-RX8

I don't know if this has already been disclosed, but check out my last posts here:

https://github.com/FrSkyRC/Firmware-Test/issues/71
Last edited by Marco67; Sep 03, 2020 at 05:48 AM.
Sep 03, 2020, 12:33 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
classic QA failure - no one should be paying for product like that...no one should have to do their own repairs - This product has literally been around for years now. Wow -

Frsky has some answers on their QA protocols at best here. They likely did a 30 M low power test and boxed it up as "good enough"

If you do NOT have that Hardware defect then you should be checking antenna sockets for one of the other 3 QA issues (bad crimps, bad socket connection, not connected at all on one antenna)
Sep 03, 2020, 12:43 PM
OK - I just got 6 G-RX8s - gave 3 to a buddy. I would not know the difference between a capacitor and a resistor if they bit me.

My newly received receivers look like the picture in the github photo that is supposedly bad. The top component is white not black. Is the color the giveaway or is there something else to verify the components? When I asked Aloft they would not address the components - they just said I had to range test them. Will the telemetry issue show up in a range test? What distance should I get for telemetry if it is not a bad receiver?

This sucks...
Jim
Sep 03, 2020, 12:58 PM
Jim, my understanding is that component colour is a reliable indicator.

For reference, earlier this year I range tested a G-RX8 running ACCST 2.1.1 in free air to a distance of about 260m. RSSI was possibly borderline at about 40dB but failsafe did not occur and telemetry was uninterrupted. That test was with a QX7 ACCESS transmitter. Antennas were oriented for best reception.

Also, as @webbsolution mentioned above, I think it wise to thoroughly check the antenna mounting on all new FrSky receivers. Reports indicate that some have been delivered without glue securing the RF connector. I read another report that a receiver antenna had not been properly connected before being glued.

My experience is that the IPEX RF connectors have a very limited number cycles before they become loose. In fact, I've noticed a difference in a brand new connector after just one cycle. Even so, removing and reinstalling antennas on all new receivers is a precaution I might consider.

It's critical to ground yourself before removing any antenna. Electrostatic discharge can damage or destroy RF circuitry.

Andrew
Last edited by landru; Sep 03, 2020 at 01:16 PM.
Sep 03, 2020, 04:10 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
I am experiencing this issue with my newly purchased G-RX8. Taranis plus ACCST 2.2.1.
Sep 03, 2020, 05:09 PM
Sailplane Mafia
I checked two G-RX8 receivers I still have not used in their original packaging. As far I can recall except for one receiver I bought over 2 years ago from MotionRC, I get all of mine from Aloft Hobbies. I have a sailplane in mind that gives me that message a lot, I need to check it. The two new ones look ok.
Sep 03, 2020, 05:20 PM
Sailplane Mafia
No joy, my receiver that gives me that message more than I would like is fine.
Sep 03, 2020, 05:20 PM
Alt+24=↑ Alt+25=↓ Use num keys
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsoars View Post
I would not know the difference between a capacitor and a resistor if they bit me.
If it bites you then it's a capacitor. They can store a charge.
Sep 03, 2020, 05:25 PM
While we're discussing G-RX8 QA, I just remembered that there was a soldering defect on some end pins documented in the ACCST 2.x release thread.

The problem was that the stubby pins that slot into the PCB had not been properly soldered on some units. The pins are a neat design that saves space but I can see how they would be tricky to solder.
Sep 03, 2020, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
No joy, my receiver that gives me that message more than I would like is fine.
What firmware are you running? CF airframe? How good is your receiver antenna placement?

Edit
The mounting of the 'upper' antenna shown in your photo looks a bit odd. What's that lump of glue with stringy bits? Just a careless extra dab?
Last edited by landru; Sep 03, 2020 at 05:32 PM.
Sep 03, 2020, 05:43 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru View Post
What firmware are you running? CF airframe? How good is your receiver antenna placement?

Edit
The mounting of the 'upper' antenna shown in your photo looks a bit odd. What's that lump of glue with stringy bits? Just a careless extra dab?
I guess so, it's already reinstalled in the sailplane so I'm not taking it out again. Fiberglass fuse with some carbon inlay, the antenna's are inside taped down in areas with no carbon. It's a Grafas Maxi from Top Model.
Sep 03, 2020, 05:56 PM
Until recently, I flew with antennas inside a couple glider fuselages such as that to distances up to about 800m.

Telemetry lost/regained messages were not common but they did occur. And, apart from a handful of incidents I think were caused by the USM bug in ACCST 1.x, there were no control incidents. However, when I discovered the detrimental impact on link quality of the internal antennas, I thought again.

There are almost certainly a number of factors that determine whether a model is set up well for the way it's flown (place, distance, etc.). The way I see things, frequent telemetry lost alerts are a sign that something could be improved.

Andrew
Sep 03, 2020, 06:16 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by landru View Post
Until recently, I flew with antennas inside a couple glider fuselages such as that to distances up to about 800m.

Telemetry lost/regained messages were not common but they did occur. And, apart from a handful of incidents I think were caused by the USM bug in ACCST 1.x, there were no control incidents. However, when I discovered the detrimental impact on link quality of the internal antennas, I thought again.

There are almost certainly a number of factors that determine whether a model is set up well for the way it's flown (place, distance, etc.). The way I see things, frequent telemetry lost alerts are a sign that something could be improved.

Andrew
That's the odd issue, I never got them when I was very high, it was more about when it was low, around 300-500'
Sep 03, 2020, 06:32 PM
My experience was somewhat similar. The telemetry problems always occurred around 200-400m altitude.

I don't know why. Perhaps it was not the altitude in itself, but a problematic orientation and alignment that tended to occur at that height due to constraints of field size.

I know such was the case with another model. At a very specific height, range, and orientation, it lost the control link, otherwise all was fine. The problem turned out to be that one antenna was shaded by the battery and the other was end-on to the transmitter.
Last edited by landru; Sep 03, 2020 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply