FrSky G-RX8 receiver Free Test! - Page 11 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 22, 2017, 07:56 AM
GVT
GVT
Any special care in flashing new firmware?
I use my Taranis or Horus with a 5V BEC.

Flash it like X4R using the 4pin connector but change the wiring?
GRX8: - AIN2 + SPORT (instead of AIN - + SPORT on X4R)

By the way, I don't understand why they changed the pin output.
So much easier if they were the same on all 4 pin connectors
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2017, 09:23 AM
I flashed mine with the STK. Just a normal receiver flash.
Sep 22, 2017, 10:59 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVT
Any special care in flashing new firmware?
I use my Taranis or Horus with a 5V BEC.

Flash it like X4R using the 4pin connector but change the wiring?
GRX8: - AIN2 + SPORT (instead of AIN - + SPORT on X4R)

By the way, I don't understand why they changed the pin output.
So much easier if they were the same on all 4 pin connectors
I was instructed by FrSky to use the STK rather than the TX.
Sep 22, 2017, 11:01 AM
mostly gliders
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution
... Making the user choose between 8ch+vario (no sat) or Sbus + vario and Sat but only 6 channels is such a non starter it makes me wonder how the project got funding and who told them this was a good idea?
Probably someone who does not like F5J and gladly see these machines plow fields instead.

/Ville
Sep 22, 2017, 11:03 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution
I have not flown Analog servos in over 10 years...im not saying im normal lol but are not most glider pilots flying anything of value are flying digitals these days ?

Andrea - this announcement of PWM8 chan + sbus in is excellent news. IT looks like I will have something to test over the fall and winter after all as well as the 10X TX -
Lots of Analog servos still being used in non-moldies. Heck, my only moldie doesn't have any digitals in it (it is however a 20 year old Emerald). I'd actually ahve to check if I have anything with digital servos. Don't think I do.

The G-RX8 is interesting for a lot of lower-dollar ships that will end up with Hitec's or 9g's all around. I intend to stick one in my Cularis, which has 9g's in the wing and HS-81's on the tail, as well as my Emerald (which went to WC in 1998 with HS-85's, HS-225's and a couple analog standard servos in the fuse) and my Radian Pro (9g's all around).
Sep 22, 2017, 01:05 PM
Just a heads up folks - With the 9ms PWM timing, many analog servos will appear to work fine, but we have found with the FrSky Sbus decoder that those servos may stop working in flight. I highly recommend you only use digital servos with this receiver if the timing remains at 9ms.

I don't think that is a horrible thing, but it for sure is something to be aware of. The intention of this receiver was for higher end gliders, cool to see you all loving it for the lower end applications also.

-Wayne
Sep 22, 2017, 01:14 PM
FJH
FJH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaHuang
According to the demand of the customers, we will consider making a 18ms version later.
Maybe this can also be achieved by modified firmware. If so, there could be offered two firmware versions, one 9ms version and one 18ms version.
Sep 22, 2017, 01:26 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Andrea basically just said that if the demand is high they will write the firmware.
Sep 22, 2017, 01:35 PM
Yeah, for future versions I will request an 18ms version as I do think that would be safer for the hobby. No one wants to risk failing a servo in flight.

-Wayne
Sep 22, 2017, 01:51 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
I'd suggest that the G-RX8's refresh rate match the full-channel refresh, so 9ms in 8ch mode and 18ms in 16ch mode.

That way it's easily chosen based on TX config.
Sep 22, 2017, 02:30 PM
Hi G-RX8 guys,
I have just purchased one of these, and am really impressed with the size and fitness for my purpose in a U-Glider. Yes just a foamie with analog servos.
I have read right through this thread, and there is just one little thing that puzzles me at this stage.
Oh I haven't flown it yet, but did do the Bind this afternoon, on my Taranis Plus, and that seems fine.
I noticed that the exposed section of antenna is only 28mm, whereas my other FrSky receivers have a 33.5mm exposed section.
Any logical explanation for a non tech guy like me???
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Last edited by Baustin; Sep 22, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 04:35 PM
Seems to be something FrSky does from time to time.. No idea why they 28mm.
Sep 22, 2017, 04:40 PM
FJH
FJH
Sgnal receipt is ok with installed antennas. Reason for different antenna lenghts are obviously differences in electrical design with the result of different signal optimization.
Sep 23, 2017, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
...I don't think that is a horrible thing, but it for sure is something to be aware of. The intention of this receiver was for higher end gliders, cool to see you all loving it for the lower end applications also.
It isn't a problem to use digital servos. The manual dosn't say this.
It is also no problem to have increased caution when plugging (polarity). This warning isn't in manual.
Instead of this is printed in Manual: "CH1-CH4 output high precision PWM signal (Error < 0.5 us), CH5-CH8 output ordinary precision". Nobody (or only me?) knows the meaning.
In my opinion, it would also be better, if the sport plug would be identical to other products (eg. x4r). I see the day, I mix-up cables (will it destroy the G-RX8?).

I am convinced the G-RX8 is a good receiver. (I have performed a wide range test in comparison to x4r and x6r. G-RX8 was much better.) But I also think, information (explanation) could be improved. I like to experiment, but I also like to know if I am a tester.

Klaus
Sep 23, 2017, 03:07 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsw
I am convinced the G-RX8 is a good receiver. (I have performed a wide range test in comparison to x4r and x6r. G-RX8 was much better.)
To be precise: The G-RX8 transmitted higher RSSI values, but this does not mean, it has a better reception. The S6R transmitted also phantasy RSSI, and suffered failsafes with RSSI 50. FrSky changed the RSSI evaluation in the newer S6R firmware. Someone must rangetest until failsafe, to be sure. My G-RX8 is on its way. I will do a true reangetest and compare the vario with an openXsensor vario.