Aug 14, 2017, 09:00 AM
ET
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderguide
The Sagitta XC is a big plane!! So is the Connie... this pic isn't mine, but a mate in SC used to own it.
That's a big one. Is it a 20' wingspan?

Eric
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2017, 01:45 PM
167" span. So, 4.25m here in Australia. Looking at the threads, few guys had success back in the day doing LSF tasks. 10km and duration. There's two airfoil choices I think. Came as a fuse and drawings. I'll cut n bag foam wings one day....

Looking at the fuses and specs, the Sagitta XC, Constellation and even the Ken Bates designed Merlyn are fairly similar. Skybench sell the Merlyn for $250 ish I think. Can't remember. Yeah. Got one....

The transparent purple looks really good. Bet it will be stunning in the air
Oct 23, 2020, 07:56 AM
ET
Thread OP
Hey Guys,

Has anyone put a motor in the Sagitta XC? Care to share your setup? AUW?

Thanks in advance!
Oct 23, 2020, 03:33 PM
Yes. Iíve got a big peggy pepper in mine. Iíll dig it up and share the details next day or two. Fuse is original wooden one and itís been extended a couple inches forward so that I donít need nose weight. It really needs to all be transferred to the Bob Sealy fuse I have waiting. For the last 5 years!!

Performance is sufficient on 3S. I think sheís flying around 5.5kg. Mind you, sheís 30 years old or more and has a few battle scars. When I get round to moving to the new fuse, I know I really need to make a new wing tip, maybe a replacement elevator with a section, new rudder as thereís no mass balance on the Sealy fuse, and a canopy bc Bob doesnít supply one. Basically I need a set of wing ribs and to make a new wing, scratch build the rest....
Oct 23, 2020, 04:12 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Ah, some memories in that one!
Cheers,
Pete
Oct 23, 2020, 04:20 PM
ET
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes. Iíve got a big peggy pepper in mine. Iíll dig it up and share the details next day or two. Fuse is original wooden one and itís been extended a couple inches forward so that I donít need nose weight. It really needs to all be transferred to the Bob Sealy fuse I have waiting. For the last 5 years!!

Performance is sufficient on 3S. I think sheís flying around 5.5kg. Mind you, sheís 30 years old or more and has a few battle scars. When I get round to moving to the new fuse, I know I really need to make a new wing tip, maybe a replacement elevator with a section, new rudder as thereís no mass balance on the Sealy fuse, and a canopy bc Bob doesnít supply one. Basically I need a set of wing ribs and to make a new wing, scratch build the rest....
Thanks for the reply. I'd love to hear about the particulars of your setup. Somewhere in this thread there is a post about when Sagitta XCs get too heavy the control suffers. Have you found control problems at that weight?

Sounds like after you do all the repairs you have planned you might just as well build a new XC.

Thanks for the help,

Eric
Oct 23, 2020, 05:24 PM
Eric

Yes. Exactly my thoughts on the refurb. Basically the power train is all Iíd transfer. Seems a shame. Then I look at the fact Iíve got a Constellation fuse from Bob too... maybe it would be easier to cut a wing for that!!

At 5.5kg, she flys fine. Thereís a lot of wing area and I donít feel that the motor has added anything really weight wise as it replaced a chunk of lead. When I rebuild it, I think I should be able to get 4kg or less. Thatís mainly through the lighter fuse, even though the Sealy one is much longer in the boom which is a well established mod, as is a foil section for the elevator. I almost think that at the lower weight, she wonít penetrate as well. The wing foil isnít a Drela floater kinda thing. It needs a little speed and hence some weight. It is after all an XC bird, not a floater. The best standard Sagitta XC I think starts life around the 4.5kg mark from memory. They fly well enough at that.

A friend has almost completed a big super esprit clone with a more modern Drela foil. Itís yet to maiden. I think thatís about 178Ē and maybe around the 3.5kg mark. I will be watching with interest how that flys. The Drela foil is based on Supra transitions and should go well at that weight.

The threads by Dean Gradwell and others on their home brew stuff are interesting. The loadings are higher than I would have thought before I flew XC but Iíve realised that itís important to be able to penetrate through sink. Stuff will thermal. If it doesnít, itís not the right day to fly the big birds.
Oct 23, 2020, 06:06 PM
ET
Thread OP
Quote:
At 5.5kg, she flys fine. There’s a lot of wing area and I don’t feel that the motor has added anything really weight wise as it replaced a chunk of lead. When I rebuild it, I think I should be able to get 4kg or less. That’s mainly through the lighter fuse, even though the Sealy one is much longer in the boom which is a well established mod, as is a foil section for the elevator. I almost think that at the lower weight, she won’t penetrate as well. The wing foil isn’t a Drela floater kinda thing. It needs a little speed and hence some weight. It is after all an XC bird, not a floater. The best standard Sagitta XC I think starts life around the 4.5kg mark from memory. They fly well enough at that.
Thanks for the info. I didn't build my XC but it weighs 4.3kg. It's got the fiberglass fuse. I've only flown it a few times and managed to bend the aft joiner causing some minor wing damage, since repaired. I'm a bit afraid to winch it again hence my desire to put a motor in it.

I've got a motorized Sailaire that flies fine on 85 watts/lb. I have an Eflite 60 that I paid $25 for that I like for the XC. Might actually be too big.

Eric
Last edited by eteet; Oct 23, 2020 at 06:12 PM.
Oct 23, 2020, 08:02 PM
If it fits, it will be fine!! You can use 1/2 throttle. Apparently. Allegedly... I like to have some reserve power!!

Quick Reply