HobbyZone UM T-28 Trojan S BNF Basic with SAFE

Key Features

•Exclusive SAFE® technology from Horizon Hobby makes it easy to learn to fly
•Panic Recovery at the push of a button to prevent loss of control and crashes
•Beginner, Intermediate and Experienced flight modes at the flip of a switch
•Lightweight yet durable construction perfect for first-time pilots
•Powerful electric motor for impressive speed and climb performance
•Full 4-channel control for training to aerobatic flight capability
•Ultra micro size to fly in small parks, large yards and even indoors over a basketball court
•Based on the North American Aviation aircraft that served as a military trainer for nearly 30 years
•Highly-visible, fully-painted finish and scale trim scheme
•Steerable nose wheel for easy ground control, takeoffs and landings
•FPV ready using the compatible camera and headset or monitor (sold separately)

Overview

Based on the North American Aviation aircraft that served as a military trainer for nearly 30 years, the HobbyZone® T-28 Trojan S makes it easy to learn to fly RC successfully in more places than ever before. Its ultra-micro size, lightweight, and durable airframe allow it to be flown in small parks, large yards and even indoors over a basketball court. With SAFE® (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology, you can teach yourself to fly in multiple modes, from Beginner to Experienced, and instantly return to steady flight using the Panic Recovery trigger in any flight mode. Best of all, it takes almost no time and effort to get flying which allows experienced pilots more opportunities to get behind the sticks. The T-28 Trojan S arrives completely factory-assembled and ready to fly right out of the box - no setup required! This Bind-N-Fly® Basic version allows you to use your own Spektrum™ DX4e or better transmitter, and requires a 150mAh 1S 3.7V LiPo battery and charger (sold separately).

Horizon Hobby-exclusive SAFE technology prevents over-control and crashing while also offering multiple modes that deliver more control as your skills progress:

Beginner Mode

Pitch and bank angle limits prevent over-control that can result in a loss of orientation and crashes. When the control sticks are released the airplane returns to level flight on its own. Best of all takeoffs are as simple as giving full throttle and letting the airplane fly off a smooth surface or by giving it a quick hand launch, and landings are as easy as lowering the throttle and letting it glide to a landing on its own.

Intermediate Mode

More freedom in pitch and bank, but still prevents over-control and does not return to level flight on its own. This mode allows you to make tighter turns in smaller areas and to climb and descend faster as your skills advance.

Experienced Mode

No pitch or bank angle limits so you have complete control! You can even fly inverted/upside down and perform aerobatic maneuvers including loops, rolls, stall turns and more. And if you ever lose orientation or control you can activate the self-leveling Panic Recovery Mode by releasing the control sticks and pressing the trigger on the transmitter.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...h-safe-hbz5650
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2017, 09:39 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Like the color and BNF pricing
Jul 06, 2017, 10:07 AM
Looks nice!
Jul 06, 2017, 10:11 AM
Yellow! 1S! Sold!
Jul 06, 2017, 10:26 AM
HobbyZone T-28 Trojan S with SAFE (3 min 49 sec)
Jul 06, 2017, 11:14 AM
In case anyone doesn't check the original T-28 thread, I just modded an original T-28 with an AS3X receiver and love how it flies. If you liked the original T-28 release, you should love this yellow one!
Jul 06, 2017, 11:34 AM
I probably won't get this one because I still have the original ...which I bought in 2010 ! ...and she still looks and flies beautifully!

However, with a .5mm larger motor, 3-bladed prop, AS3X, and SAFE, this one looks great and should be an excellent little 4-channel trainer for new pilots.

Kudos, HH!

Tom
Last edited by shepflyr; Jul 06, 2017 at 11:47 AM.
Jul 06, 2017, 11:35 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
So long as they don't weigh it down with a lot of plastic scale details that turn it into an overweight underpowered dog.

I recall the UM P-51 wallowing around the sky, the first generation P-51 was a light and nimble doll to fly. Keep the excess weight off and it should fly well.
Jul 06, 2017, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
So long as they don't weigh it down with a lot of plastic scale details that turn it into an overweight underpowered dog.

I recall the UM P-51 wallowing around the sky, the first generation P-51 was a light and nimble doll to fly. Keep the excess weight off and it should fly well.
The spec. weight from the HH site looks good.

Flying Weight: 1.65 oz (47.0g)

It's what my AS3X-modded original T-28 weighs, just a couple grams more than the original, non-AS3X T-28.
Jul 06, 2017, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr
... this one looks great and should be an excellent little 4-channel trainer for new pilots.

Kudos, HH!

Tom
That's exactly what I was thinking this morning when I was flying my AS3X-modded T-28. She is one sweet, little flyer and with SAFE should make an excellent intro low-wing, aileron trainer. As I mentioned previously, the only thing that puzzles me is why it took so long for HH to release this one. Oh, well, go for it!
Jul 06, 2017, 11:48 AM
Is it the same dimensions as the current UMX T-28?
Jul 06, 2017, 11:52 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
The original P-51 was PKZ3680 and had a flying weight of 34.6g, the AS3X version was PKZU2480 and came in at 43g and flew terrible. I flew the AS3X version once and immediately got rid of it.

The UM spitfire had lots of plastic detail and flew like crap, drastically underpowered. It took a significant dive just to loop it.

Bear in mind I have had 2-3 of the original UM T-28 in the hangar at a time consistently for 5+ years.

Spec sheet says the original T-28 is 38g. So we'll see, it's distressingly similar to the added weight the P-51 did when it went AS3X.

edit:
Lest I come off as a crank, I do like the new color scheme, the red and white is so overdone.
Jul 06, 2017, 12:10 PM
I'm flying my modded T-28 around at 47 grams and it flies great for me and looks very similar to how the new yellow T-28 is flying in the HH video. I still have the UMX Spitfire and it was indeed pretty much a dog as stock. Both my modded T-28 and the new SAFE, yellow T-28 have the longer can motor, but I'm not all that interested in anything resembling aerobatics anyway for the little T-28. I'm thrilled with low-and-slow. Anything beyond is just icing on the cake for this old codger.
Jul 06, 2017, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongsr
Is it the same dimensions as the current UMX T-28?
Yes, the length is 13.5" and the wingspan is 16.8" for both, according to the HH specs.
Jul 06, 2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks I missed that. Wow shorter span than the Pitts and only one wing instead of two. I need another bird like a hole in the head but...