Jul 05, 2017, 11:41 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine E31HC With 2MP Camera Altitude Hold Mode 2.4G 4CH 6-Axis RC Quadcopter RTF

This quadcopter was sent to me courtesy of Banggood. Banggood ordered this quad for me on June 26, 2017, it shipped on June 28, 2017. It was sent DHL expedited shipping, and it arrived on July 5,2017 with no damage to the quad or contents, but a fairly beat up box. 10 days from order to arrival, very good transit time. It is packaged with a molded plastic insert for the contents and the box measures 240 x 235 x 110 millimeters. Pictures:
Name: ze31bx.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 73.1 KB
Description: Name: ze31bx2.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 75.8 KB
Description: Name: ze31bx3.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 58.4 KB
Description: Name: ze31bxcntt.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 84.6 KB
Description: Name: ze31bxcntn2.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 97.7 KB
Description:

First Impression and Description

This quad is 180mm motor to motor diagonally, looks good, and seems to be well built. It has a 2MP 720P camera but there is no adjustment for changing the angle of the lense. The body is black with all green props, the props are wide and look like they will provide a lot of lift. It is gear driven and may have 0720 motors. It has green highlight stripes on the top of the quad. The plastic is light, appears to be durable, and the arms are fairly stiff. It has a green LEDs on the bottom of the rear arms and red LEDs under the front arms, they are fairly bright. It came assembled without props guards or landing legs installed, you have to remove and charge the quad's battery and add 3 AA batteries to the transmitter. Battery is rated as 1S, 400mah, with no C rating. There is a door to cover the battery bay and an on/off switch above the door. There are three pads at the bottom of the motor pods that could be considered short landing gear. The transmitter is medium size, black with green buttons and fake antenna, and has large green thumpads on it. There are 4 spare props, prop guards, landing legs, a small bag of screws, a screwdriver, and a charger that has a USB port on one end and a micro Losi plug on the other, there is no cord on the charger. It did not come with a memory card or card reader. It has a manual that covers use of the included transmitter, battery charging, and flying instructions. There are actually two manuals that fold out to 4 pages per side. The second manual appears to be written in German only, while the first manual has English and Chinese instructions together. But while the English manual has 4 pages of English instructions on one side, the other side is in German. Same with the German manual, one side in German and one side in English.
Name: ze31qdtop.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 61.1 KB
Description: Name: ze31qdbttm.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 70.1 KB
Description: Name: ze31batby.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 69.0 KB
Description: Name: ze31mtrarm.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 72.5 KB
Description: Name: ze31cam.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 57.7 KB
Description: Name: ze31crdslot.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 51.7 KB
Description: Name: ze31leds.jpg
Size: 72.2 KB
Description: Name: ze31leds2.jpg
Size: 68.5 KB
Description:

Banggood's Description:
Item name: Eachine E31C Mini Quadcopter
Quadcopter Size: 27.5*27.5*7cm
Box Size: 23.5*23.5*10.5cm
Gyro: 6-axis
Frequency: 2.4G
Channel:4CH
Battery: 3.7V (400mAh) (included)
Transmitter Power: 3 x AAA battery(not included)
Flight time: about 7 minutes
Charging time: about 60 minutes
Flying distance: 70-100 meters
Camera Pixels:2MP

Features:
- Cool design with a 2MP 720P camera, this quadcopter can be taken everywhere you want. You can record photos and videos during every happy moment
- With altitude hold mode function provides stable flight.
- With Headless Mode,no need to adjust the position of aircraft before flying .
- With One key to return function makes it easily to find the way home.
- 2.4GHz Technology Adopted for Anti-Interference.
- 4 Channel which can do ascend, descend, forward, backward, left sideward fly, right sideward fly and rolling 360°.
- 6-axis gyro which can have more stable flying and be easy to control.
- It have 3-level flight speed to switch that can make more fun with the flying.
- It can realize 3D tumbling 360°rolling in four directions with 4 LED lights.
- The quadcopter fuselage is made of high strength and resistant engineering plastics,lightweight and durable resistance.

Function: Up/down, Forward/backward,Turn left/right, Sideward flight, LED Light, Headless Mode, One Key Automatic Return,2MP Camera ,Altitude hold mode

Package included:
1x Quadcopter
1x 3.7V (400mAh) battery
4x Spare blades
1x Transmitter
1x USB charger
1x Screwdriver
1x Manual

Dimensions and Weights

Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally----180mm....................................MTM Side to Side-----127mm
MTM Front to Back-----127mm............................................. ..................Height/ground clearance-----70mm/30mm
Transmitter measures-----152 x 112 x550 mm ....................................Transmitter Sticks-----83mm CTC x 9mm tall
Props measure-----122.0 mm................................................ ....................Motors--0720 with ? tooth pinions
Quadcopter body weight-----63.83 grams.......................................... All up weight-----82.9 grams
Landing gear-----6.0 grams........ ........................................... .........................Prop guards-----7.6 grams
Battery-----9.6 grams............................................. ... .................................Battery measures-----41.0 x 19.7 x 7.5 mm

Transmitter

The transmitter reminds me of some JJRC transmitters I have had in the past. The transmitter is black with green buttons, antenna, and sticks. Buttons are not labelled. The transmitter takes 3 AA batteries. There is an on/off button in the middle of the face near the top. There are two shoulder buttons, left and right. Left is one push take off/landing. Right is for auto flips. Low/high rates are changed by pushing the upper right shoulder button. There are trim buttons for yaw, aileron, and elevator. There is a button for photos and videos, and two buttons to change the speeds. in the usual positions, but the manual says the throttle trim button is null. That button does beep when it is pushed. I turned on the transmitter first, then the quad, but it works in reverse order also, LEDs flash, then push throttle stick fully up and back down to bind, LEDs flash rapidly, and then LEDs go solid. The trim is not retained when the transmitter is turned off then back on. The transmitter is a bit smaller than the Bugs 3 or Eachine E708 transmitter.
Name: ze31txcmp.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 62.3 KB
Description: Name: ze31txman.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 112.3 KB
Description:

First Flights

The first flight was outdoor with the stock battery in almost calm winds. I timed the flight at 5.25 minutes, did not see the low voltage blinking lights, and the quad dropped out of the sky when battery was depleted. Battery voltage at rest was 3.2 volts. I tried the quad in all 3 speeds, and there was a little difference in yaw, but not a lot. If you hold the yaw fully to one side, the quad will start to spin after about 3 seconds, a fairly rapid spin. It was fairly stable, easy to control, and has decent forward pitch. You do not have to hold the flip button down to flip, just push it then move stick in the direction you want to flip. Flips were probably within 1 foot, but the quad rises about 6 inches before it flips. Altitude hold seemed to do very well and kept the quad up unless you did extended fast forward pitch.
The second flight was outside also in very low wind. I again used the stock 400mah battery and timed the flight at about 5.25 minutes. This time I noticed the LEDs were blinking maybe 15 seconds before it fell out of the sky. The LEDs are bright but still not easy to see in daylight unless you are close to right under the quad. Again the battery was discharged close to 3.2 volts. This time I had the landing legs installed, but they are fairly light. Yaw and pitch both increase at least slightly in 2nd and 3rd speeds, but yaw is not really fast. I changed from thumbpads to transmitter sticks and the control felt very good, it seems fast enough to handle at least a 5mph wind, stable, and agile. Funnels are probably within 6 feet in the highest speed. The quad is small enough and handles well enough that it would probably be flyable indoors or in smaller spaces.
Third flight I tried the camera and also took a video with my hat cam. I will have to post them later. Unfortunately the video from the onboard camera is upside down. The video appears to be fairly good quality. In the hat cam video I tried to demonstrate flips, fast forward, and the spin that begins after holding full yaw for three seconds. I have not felt the need to trim the quad on any of the outdoor flights.
I took it out for a night flight and the LEDs are fairly good for night flying even though they don't help much in daylight. I probably flew out past 100 feet with no orientation problems. The LEDs also light up the landing legs well which also helps.

Range

Range tested at about 300 feet with no mods, after putting the antenna straight up through the top, I flew it over 400 feet with no loss of signal.

Battery and Charge cord

The battery voltage measured 3.92 volts when I checked it before charging the first time. This battery is fitted into a bay that has a door on bottom rear of the quad. It has a Micro Losi connector on it. It is rated at 400mah and has no C rating printed on the label. The battery fits snugly into the bay and the connector and wires are a tight fit that have to be positioned well to be able to shut the bay door. The battery measures 41.0 x 19.7 x 7.5 mm and weighs 9.68 grams. The charger is a USB style with no cable USB on one end of plug and micro Losi on the other, at first I thought it was a USB memory card reader.
Name: ze31batchgr.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 172.0 KB
Description: Name: ze31batchgr2.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 57.6 KB
Description:

Quad comparison

This quad is smaller than a Eachine E708 or a Nihui U807.
Name: ze31qdcmp.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 68.9 KB
Description: Name: ze31qdcmp2.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 75.3 KB
Description:

Conclusion

The quad is nice looking, flies well, and appears to be durable. It is not really fast but has decent pitch and yaw, and is very stable. It has LEDs that are hard to see in daylight but work well at night. It can handle a light wind outdoors. The transmitter controls seem fairly good. It seems like yet another protocol. It can be flown indoors, but a larger space is better. It has decent altitude hold and would make a good beginners quad. The camera seems to have a good picture, but in my sample, the picture is upside down. I would rate this quad at a 6 out of 10 on my rating scale, where 1 is bad, and 10 is excellent.

Pros
Nicely looking design.
Is very stable, good agile control.
Good LEDs for night flying.
Props and quad should be durable.
Decent transmitter.
Good picture on camera.
Has an on/off switch.

Cons
Camera picture in my sample is upside down.
LEDs don't help much in daylight.
Does not have bearings.
Very short thumbpads on transmitter.

Thanks to Banggood for providing this quad for review.
You can find it here for $34.99 with transmitter in USD shipped: https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-E31...070760201208BW
Last edited by siriusflier; Jul 10, 2017 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2017, 11:42 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
reserved for camera/videos/photos

The camera lens recorded video upside down. I will link this video to show the quality which doesn't seem to bad, but will have to tear it down to try to flip the picture over.
Banggood Eachine E31HC (1 min 18 sec)

This video shows a bit of how it flies, including the fast spin when the yaw is held on for 3 seconds, the white spot in the sky is the moon:
Banggood Eachine E31HC #2 (2 min 17 sec)
Last edited by siriusflier; Jul 06, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
Jul 05, 2017, 11:43 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
reserved for teardown and modifications

Since the camera in my quad took video upside down, I had a good reason for a tear down. 24 screws to remove to separate the top and bottom of the body, 4 for the props, and 4 more if the landing legs are installed.
Fairly obvious that the lens ribbon is twisted and the lens is upside down. 2 screws to remove that mount the lens, turn it over and reinstall the screws, now lens is right side up. It worked, video later.
While apart, I switched the LEDs so that green would be up front and red in back. Fairly simple, just push out LEDs reroute wires, and push LEDs back in arm holes.
One more quick easy mod, punched a hole in upper body and stood antenna straight up and out through the hole. In the video I flew the quad out past the first high line pole, which is over 400 feet from where I was standing. Not sure you get a good look at the pole in the video.
Name: ze31fcb.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 145.0 KB
Description: Name: ze31led.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 154.4 KB
Description: Name: ze31camrib.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 107.3 KB
Description: Name: ze31camrib2.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 141.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Jul 07, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Jul 05, 2017, 11:52 PM
Suspended Account
went back to 1s?

might be something casey be into,
wife says no more custom builds, and to clean the house more
rtf ready to fly.... yeap hope he sees the link... not necessary to fool around with pids & soldering to have fun
Last edited by Blue Bugs; Jul 06, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
Jul 06, 2017, 02:19 AM
Drone Collector
review!.

Wonder what the cam issue is?...maybe you have the Australian version?

On the HW you have an option to flip the image...but the cam isnt as good as the HC for sure.
Jul 06, 2017, 10:55 AM
Drone Collector
Needs more bat clod...

Jul 06, 2017, 09:02 PM
Suspended Account
nice....smooth inverted flight as seen in the above flight video,
get two Casey. perfect starter for the Wife,

it does have color coordinated transmitter knobs matching the props neon green, a hot shade currently
think it will be a hit with the younger pilots. elegant touch.

the photo with the bugs 3 transmitter in comparison shot really shows the difference on the eye candy

Great Review Sirius, especially the photos & detail specs as usual...
Last edited by Blue Bugs; Jul 06, 2017 at 11:56 PM.
Jul 07, 2017, 03:11 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Tear down and info on camera lens added to post #3.
Jul 07, 2017, 03:28 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I did a range test before putting the antenna through the top and got around 300 foot range, after antenna through the top, range was over 400 feet.
And on the last flight I managed to see when the LEDs started blinking for low voltage. It landed itself with low battery about 8 seconds after the LEDs started blinking.
Jul 07, 2017, 11:27 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Here is a video taken earlier today with the camera lens mounted correctly. It had been mounted upside down at the factory, but I took the quad apart and fixed it.
Late in the day flying in and out of shadow and bright sunlight, the camera does a decent job of adjusting to the light.
Flew it out close to the first high line post, that post is over 400 feet from where I was standing.
Did some funnels in 3rd or high speed, after about 3 seconds, it really starts to spin fast.
A couple of forward flips and a few left and right flips.
Another spin and some fast forward flying.
Banggood Eachine E31HC camera right side up (2 min 22 sec)

I actually timed this flight at about 5.5 minutes even with the camera recording for a couple of minutes. I also watched for LVC LEDs blinking and the quad self landed in less than 8 seconds from the time the LEDs started blinking.

Another video earlier in the day in bright sunlight.
This video is a little over 1.5 minutes long. Fairly good picture except when pointing up, not too much jello, lens seems to have narrow view. I do a funnel shortly after starting video, in 3rd speed - quad starts to spin fast after holding yaw for a couple of seconds. Then do a couple of forward flips, a left flip, and a right flip. Then flew it out to a high line post that is over 400 feet from where I was standing and flew it back, no loss of control.
Banggood Eachine E31HC camera lens flipped (1 min 38 sec)
Last edited by siriusflier; Jul 10, 2017 at 09:33 AM.
Jul 08, 2017, 04:03 AM
Pretty stupid they mounted the camera upside down. Camera isn't too bad; it can pick up quite some detail. When you do the fast spins, it seems to go directly into rolling shutter display mode

Try and pause the video during a flip and see what happened to the world
Jul 08, 2017, 05:55 AM
Drone Collector
Way to go on the cam fix SF!

And the stripdown pics.

I notice the fcb is well aft to balance the quad with the cam pcb at the front. Neat. Not a bad cam for a cheepie clod.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:22 PM
Johninarky
Can this quad be controlled by the IRx4 module. The protocol is not yet listed.
John
Nov 06, 2017, 08:01 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I do not know the answer to that question John, I have not graduated to using other modules yet, and can not determine protocols unless it works with other factory transmitters. Might better ask that question on deviation or other threads.

Quick Reply