Aug 03, 2017, 03:14 PM
pics ?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2017, 07:41 PM
Arrowhead
Soon! Right now it just looks like a big grey/green blob. I'll try to get decals on tomorrow and snap a few pics
Aug 07, 2017, 09:38 AM
fighter or target, which r u
Thread OP
Test flew the flite line spit and trimmed it out as best I could with the wind we had from south at 15 with gusts to 30. Two notes, very tipsy ROG of grass but if I start slow it will go. I have to hold a LOT of up e to keep it from nosing in so takeoffs are very sport plane like. I had way to much E throw and ATV’d it to 60%. I had done the ailerons to 60% prior to maiden. 30% expo to start with the option to go to 40%, 30% was fine. Flaps deploy to almost 90% (scale) very quickly and when deployed to 45 degrees the plane needs up trim. I was not used to that but it is very nice to have it happen that way. At this point know I have to move the wheels forward but have not started to formulate how.

Flew Lance twice in the trainer, he was having a hard time flying straight and level in the wind but only needed assistance twice in 12 minutes.

Flew the Dynam Me262 twice. Take off out of grass goes like this. It starts to move but when it gets close to take off speeds the nose wheel gives a little bit enough for the nose to go down seriously below zero. At that point only full up E and a bump will break it free. So when it decides to rotate its usually at a 50+degree angle I unload the wing asap (relax the E). but this time I had removed the coil of 10Ga wire that was forward of the CG (about 2.5 yards of it) and moved the battery back 2 in. so when it popped into the air it did the popsicle thing and hovered in a vertical attitude for a second or two at 40 ft over the runway. I’m holding down E and A to square it back up to the runway, when I realized that I did not want a spin and let go of the aileron. I’m thinking its tail heavy at this point and it’s a lost cause. But always fly it till all the parts come to a stop. The nose started to come down straight forward, I relaxed the E to give me level flight and it stopped there and started moving, soon up to speed. Thinking it was tail heavy I was very apologetic with any control inputs, but soon I was gaining confidence in this new CG.

Second flight was with the battery in the normal position with no surprises. will creep up on that battery position next time.

Second flight on the FL Spit with the reduced E was much better (I was not afraid of ripping the wings off in a 20 g turn takeoff and landing was still an annoyance (but it will get there). Loops were nice and big, barrel rolls it needed a little rudder, also noticed if I did not co-ordinate the turns it would start the turns by climbing. Also took all the trim added on the maiden?

Jason maidened his Me110 from dynam, he had several problems. It wants to turn 90 degrees right on initial coupe of rolls of the wheels. Lost the tailwheel, left retract only worked part of the time, and he had to set the ESC’s back to factory settings. After some convincing he tried it without the tail wheel. It lifted off quick and went right into a vertical hover. Great two of these and the odds are now against us. The nose came down and it stared to fly, we were both concerned it was tail heavy (though we had both checked it to the destructions and blessed it as forward of the CG zone. He tried to turn it back to us and it started to hover again only further away. He recovered that fed in a bunch of down E trim and it seemed to settle down. He brought it back and landed it without an incident. We both rechecked the CG and it was good.

Now that we have all the parts we pulled out Jasons banana p-40 and mounted the spinner and a prop and ran it up to get a amp reading. Turnagy sk3 5065-320 turning a 16x12 on 8s6k40c yielded a 47amp reading. Then we worked on the LG a little. Jason ripped the original POS gear out, because all the bolt heads where on the side of the units they glued to the plane. Once out he removed all the innereds and the plan is to glue the boxes back in and mount the FMS corsair retract units to that. but first I need to remove the switch point boards.

CF105 when do you figure you will have it ready to go?

Joe
Aug 07, 2017, 06:30 PM
Arrowhead
LOL I've been saying "it's almost ready" since April or May. Let's just say, no one should buy lotto tickets based on my predictions!

There really isn't that much left though. Tail servos, receiver & batteries, control rods for tail wheel, elevator, pull-pull cables for rudder. Setup the flap servos. Strap in the pilot & seal the canopy, then balance. If I shift into high gear (HAH!) it could be ready for the coming weekend. Most likely I'll pick at it & it'll be ready sometime before September.

Here she is with decals applied:
Aug 08, 2017, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
that looks really good?

don't worry about the almost ready, I started the build of a Holman Me109F in 1996 got it to panel lines and rivits by 2002 and it has languished there ever since (CMP, E-flite and h9 109 all came up).

I like your work room! mine is in the basement.

Joe
Aug 08, 2017, 02:01 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin-34
that looks really good?

don't worry about the almost ready, I started the build of a Holman Me109F in 1996 got it to panel lines and rivits by 2002 and it has languished there ever since (CMP, E-flite and h9 109 all came up).

I like your work room! mine is in the basement.

Joe
Pictures hide all the warts, and there are plenty. But then, we owners always know were every last ding, however minor, is. Overall I'm "content" with it, but am already thinking of building another. Not right away, I have several other projects in line.

My real workroom is in the basement too. But being summer time I like to be where I can get fresh air & sun. Normally that's in the garage with the door up, but this room wasn't getting much use and I wasn't doing anything terribly messy... so I invaded Well, that and the workshop is so disorganized that there's no space to work on something this big!
Aug 08, 2017, 02:08 PM
i've been waiting for it to not be 100 degrees outside lol
Aug 08, 2017, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Pictures hide all the warts, and there are plenty. But then, we owners always know were every last ding, however minor, is. Overall I'm "content" with it, but am already thinking of building another. Not right away, I have several other projects in line.

My real workroom is in the basement too. But being summer time I like to be where I can get fresh air & sun. Normally that's in the garage with the door up, but this room wasn't getting much use and I wasn't doing anything terribly messy... so I invaded Well, that and the workshop is so disorganized that there's no space to work on something this big!
HAHA, when I was young people would come over to see it and I would go through a litany of all the things I screwed up. then I went through 20+ years of people calling a Oscar a zero, p-51 a spitfire, a hurri a spitfire. now I just zip my lip and let them look, I bet you will get someone referring to your wild cat as a hell cat if you take it to fly inns and contests.

bandetlol i've been waiting for it to not be 100 degrees outside lol

we had 6.9in of rain in july and its 75 degrees now on the 8aug17 at 3pm with rain in every days forecast. we have a rule that there is no flying alone in our club, while I would fly in rain or wind it appears no-one else will. I've watched a lot of grass grow this year.

Joe

p.s. I got my photo editor working last night so hopefully pictures soon. the pc that I was using for photo editing was also used for gaming and while one of the grandkids were playing they let windows 10 install. all of my almost 20 year old editing programs where made inoperable (support your local programmer, g that's what windows does?). I pulled out my old XP pc last night and all that stuff is still there and it works!
Last edited by paladin-34; Aug 08, 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Aug 08, 2017, 05:15 PM
Arrowhead
You called it! I've already had a couple of people call it a Hellcat. Some even after they realized the mistake earlier.

Have to confess, I myself once mistook a full-size Mustang for a Spitfire. In my defense, it was in RAF/RCAF camouflage and the confusion lasted only a minute or so. Hadn't seen one in person like that before, so my instinct translated the scheme as "Spitifre", while the brain was saying "uh, no that's not right".
Aug 09, 2017, 12:43 AM
WHAT! Mustang as a Spitfire! NEVER! lol Great work by the way CF105 she is looking good!
Aug 09, 2017, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
I had a british mustang with the sharks teeth. yes it had documentation for the scheme (its in the attic now cause the monokote got fragile) I just could not pass that up. it was called a spit and a p-40. it was called a p-40 at the Olean meet and the crowd gave the commentator the raspberries so bad for so long that he went down the flight line to find me and apologize. I laughed and said he was not the first or would be the last, but definitely the most memorable.

Joe
Aug 09, 2017, 11:32 AM
Arrowhead
What can I say? Obviously the camouflage scheme was very effective, even today. Although maybe not quite in the way it was originally intended to be

I've seen documentation for at least one Mustang with the sharks teeth (code SG-A I think?). Would be my 2nd choice for a scheme on a model. I'm rather fond of the Vintage Wings P-51 Y2-C, with the bright yellow "anti-glare" panel.
Aug 10, 2017, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
I looked all last night for a pic of it, but no joy. i take thousands of pic's of planes in the air every meet and have very few of mine, i have 4 or 5 of it inflight but i have 2+gig of pictures to look through. but it was the first plane my son flew while we would mock dog fight, i flew a flop tite Hollywood zero (named Natalie) against him. I honestly don't remember the a call signage, i look at the camo (it was grey and green), but the teeth were what drew my son to it.

getting ready to recover my only sport plane an ultra sport 60 built from the first run of kits. last year two of the wing bays shattered while flying. maidened in 1986 i am dreading peeling the old monokote off it. and put a battery hatch in.
Aug 10, 2017, 10:01 AM
Arrowhead
I was flipping through a book in my collection, "Metal Canvas" after all this talk about sharks teeth on a Mustang. The book covers nose art on Canadian planes during the war. No Mustang there, although I know it's legit, so it must have been an RAF plane. But I did see others: a P-40 of course, but also a Spitfire and a Lancaster. The bomber (R -Ropey) had them on all four nacelles.

I've been on a sport plane run lately. Only have one, an Escapade 61. Been having a blast with it. Just ordered an H9 Sbach to go with it. Low maintenance & stress flying: no retracts, flaps or scale flying
Aug 10, 2017, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
I found it. see pic's

Quick Reply