This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 05, 2017, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
Video

Eflite Commander mPd 1.4m BNF Basic 4S Maiden Flight

This is the 4S Maiden Flight of my new Eflite Commander mPd 1.4m BNF Basic.

Eflite Commander mPd 1.4m BNF Basic 4S Maiden Flight (5 min 35 sec)

After performing the initial Maiden Flight of my Eflite Commander mPd on the stock 3S setup, I found the performance to be lacking and sedate.. it probably doesn’t help that most of my RC flights are in Highlands Ranch, CO where the altitude is 5920 feet above sea level, and performance is affected by altitude. A big thank you and credit goes to Discover RC who posted a video on the Eflite Commander, modified for 4S. After watching his video, I followed suit with the same type of modifications to my Commander, using an APC 11x7E Prop and a Sky Power 60-Amp ESC with Switchmode BEC. The flight performance on 4S is outstanding and what I would consider as “appropriate” for an RC aircraft of this size, compared to the other RC aircraft that I fly. As Discover RC stated in his video, “okay now that’s hot sauce!”

Thank you to my friend Mike “Deuces Wild” Frontiero for capturing the 4S Maiden Flight on his iPhone 7, and a Happy 4th of July to everyone!

UPGRADES / MODIFICATIONS:

Propeller: APC 11x7E (APC11070E)
https://www.horizonhobby.com/electri...x-7e-apc11070e

Electronic Speed Control: Sky Power 60-Amp ESC with Switchmode BEC (H-110)
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...EC_p_2213.html

TRANSMITTER, RECEIVER, & SETUP:

Transmitter: Spektrum DX8 (G2)
High Rates: 100-Aileron / 5% Expo, 100-Elevator / 10% Expo, 100-Rudder / 0% Expo
Low Rates: 70-Aileron / 0% Expo, 70-Elevator / 0% Expo, 70-Rudder / 0% Expo
Flap System: Mid - 30% / Full - 60%
Flap Down Elevator Mix: Mid – 4% / Full – 6%
Flap Delay: 2.0 Seconds
Center of Gravity: 88mm from the leading edge of Main Wing
Battery: Admiral Pro 4S 2200mAh 45C
Throttle Timer: 4 Minutes
Lipo Final Voltage: 15.24 Volts out of 16.80 Volts (37%)

Camera: iPhone 7 at 1080P / 60 FPS
Cameraman: Mike “Deuces Wild” Frontiero

Thanks for watching and if you haven't already please click the Thumbs Up and Subscribe!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
This is the 4S Maiden Flight of my new Eflite Commander mPd 1.4m BNF Basic.

https://youtu.be/fGUCanhVv-A
After performing the initial Maiden Flight of my Eflite Commander mPd on the stock 3S setup, I found the performance to be lacking and sedate.. it probably doesn’t help that most of my RC flights are in Highlands Ranch, CO where the altitude is 5920 feet above sea level, and performance is affected by altitude. A big thank you and credit goes to Discover RC who posted a video on the Eflite Commander, modified for 4S. After watching his video, I followed suit with the same type of modifications to my Commander, using an APC 11x7E Prop and a Sky Power 60-Amp ESC with Switchmode BEC. The flight performance on 4S is outstanding and what I would consider as “appropriate” for an RC aircraft of this size, compared to the other RC aircraft that I fly. As Discover RC stated in his video, “okay now that’s hot sauce!”

Thank you to my friend Mike “Deuces Wild” Frontiero for capturing the 4S Maiden Flight on his iPhone 7, and a Happy 4th of July to everyone!

UPGRADES / MODIFICATIONS:

Propeller: APC 11x7E (APC11070E)
https://www.horizonhobby.com/electri...x-7e-apc11070e

Electronic Speed Control: Sky Power 60-Amp ESC with Switchmode BEC (H-110)
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...EC_p_2213.html

TRANSMITTER, RECEIVER, & SETUP:

Transmitter: Spektrum DX8 (G2)
High Rates: 100-Aileron / 5% Expo, 100-Elevator / 10% Expo, 100-Rudder / 0% Expo
Low Rates: 70-Aileron / 0% Expo, 70-Elevator / 0% Expo, 70-Rudder / 0% Expo
Flap System: Mid - 30% / Full - 60%
Flap Down Elevator Mix: Mid – 4% / Full – 6%
Flap Delay: 2.0 Seconds
Center of Gravity: 88mm from the leading edge of Main Wing
Battery: Admiral Pro 4S 2200mAh 45C
Throttle Timer: 4 Minutes
Lipo Final Voltage: 15.24 Volts out of 16.80 Volts (37%)

Camera: iPhone 7 at 1080P / 60 FPS
Cameraman: Mike “Deuces Wild” Frontiero

Thanks for watching and if you haven't already please click the Thumbs Up and Subscribe!
I purchased the prop that you recommended but it won't fit on the prop adapter. It's too thin in the middle. Is there some kind of adjustment or adapter?
Oct 23, 2017, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkorey
I purchased the prop that you recommended but it won't fit on the prop adapter. It's too thin in the middle. Is there some kind of adjustment or adapter?
I just used a 3mm thick nylon washer that I found being sold at my LHS. Use a prop reamer to match the prop adapter's diameter. Place in front of the prop. Problem should be solved after that.
Oct 27, 2017, 10:27 AM
Did you ever try the stock prop on 4S? I would think being that I upgraded the ESC to a 60 amp it shouldn't be an issue with the stock prop.
Oct 27, 2017, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris g.
Did you ever try the stock prop on 4S? I would think being that I upgraded the ESC to a 60 amp it shouldn't be an issue with the stock prop.
No I have not. I like the performance with it as it stands. Its a good balance. Not really wanting to mess with it anymore, especially with the prop balancing, until its absolutely needed.
Nov 01, 2017, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
No I have not. I like the performance with it as it stands. Its a good balance. Not really wanting to mess with it anymore, especially with the prop balancing, until its absolutely needed.
Do you happen to have the part number to the nylon shim that you used? No hobby shops where I live.
Nov 01, 2017, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris g.
Do you happen to have the part number to the nylon shim that you used? No hobby shops where I live.
Sorry, I don't.

I just found one while browsing my LHS selection. It was about 3-4mm thick, and then reamed the nylon washer hole to fit the prop adapter to the correct size.
Oct 11, 2018, 09:11 AM
Hi Blaze
Did you try the stock prop after upgrading the esc and battery ?
I just upgraded to a 50 amp esc and 4s battery but waiting for the weather to get a bit better to fly the plane .

please advise
Oct 11, 2018, 09:13 AM
Hi Chris
Did you try the stock prop ?
Oct 11, 2018, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Nope, I never tried the stock prop. It worked so well on the 11x7E and I was getting the target flight times as well as the performance that I wanted so I stayed with it.
Oct 11, 2018, 10:56 AM
Do you think I'll fry the motor or ESC (50amp) if I keep the original prop ?
Oct 11, 2018, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobster
Do you think I'll fry the motor or ESC (50amp) if I keep the original prop ?
I honestly have no idea. Only one way to find out. Maybe run it for one flight and see how the motor and ESC feels afterwards.
May 08, 2019, 09:12 AM

Update

Hi Derek
I upgraded the ESC to 70A and used a 11x7E and used a silicone washer to adjust for thin hub of prop, however, prop and adapter kept popping out , I tightened it as much as hard as possible and it kept popping out until it happened midflight !!!!!!! (maybe too much torque)
Any ideas how I can prevent this from happening again ? as it is a bit pricy to keep replacing them regularly

Thanks
May 08, 2019, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobster
Hi Derek
I upgraded the ESC to 70A and used a 11x7E and used a silicone washer to adjust for thin hub of prop, however, prop and adapter kept popping out , I tightened it as much as hard as possible and it kept popping out until it happened midflight !!!!!!! (maybe too much torque)
Any ideas how I can prevent this from happening again ? as it is a bit pricy to keep replacing them regularly

Thanks
It sounds like you overtorqued the aluminum adapter, causing it to compress over the prop shaft too much. I’ve done it before on an old Parkzone Sport Cub, with an aluminum prop adapter. I tightened it so much that it warped the opening of the prop adapter that cinches to the prop shaft. I knew something was wrong when I was tightening and tightening, and then felt the nut just ease up in resistance on the aluminum shaft. Once that happens, it’s done.

I would start over and get a new aluminum prop adapter and only tighten it enough until you tug on the prop and can’t pull it off. That’s worked for me on all of my planes that use those types of aluminum adapters.

Good luck.

Quick Reply