XFX heli thread - RC Groups
Jul 05, 2017, 03:19 PM
rc user
New Product

XFX heli thread

For those who like a bargain, or just the curiosity of finding out what you get for so little, let's discuss the XFX heli line here. Other discounted heli brands are fine too. Or whatever else you like

Banggood has some offerings, we all know of the 450, now the 280 and 500 are available:
budget 450 combo
450 combo
280 kit
500 kit
250 Kit
Last edited by pdooley; Jul 07, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2017, 03:27 PM
Heligamist
Nice thread. Hopefully the packaging is better on the new ones.
Jul 05, 2017, 03:41 PM
Thanks Pat for starting up this thread.

I have the 500 and the 280 on the way.
I already have a 500GT and it's a great flier, so my intention will be to go TT on the XFX.
The 280 I got because I was curious, I don't have anything in the fleet smaller than 450, and less than £20, what the hell!

BTW # 1
Apparently there are only 24 of the 500's left. Not sure if there will be any more, so if you want one, it's 'make your mind up time'.

BTW # 2
Anybody recognise the airframe the 280 is cloned from? Looks familiar to me, but just can't recall.

Jeff
Jul 05, 2017, 04:02 PM
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...5-fc07f22dbd41

Hi Guys

I see Aliexpress in now stocking the el-cheapo 450. Wonder if they'll be getting the 500 as well. Might give us an alternative
if (when ) BG run out.

Jeff
Jul 05, 2017, 04:20 PM
That 280 really looks interesting, please post your thoughts on it when it arrives
Jul 05, 2017, 07:02 PM
Cá bhfuil an linn snámha?
The 280 looks like a scaled down version of a trex lookalike from yore. I believe they were called storms (not to be confused with the jperkins storm3D Blade 450 clones).

The bad news. The storm I got was made of soft steel. Had to change the head and shafts. 450SE2 compatible iirc. Fasteners were likewise soft = ez strip.

The 280 looks like it wants Trex 250 blades. The disc loading will be considerable. Lots of rpm you'll need.

I'm not keen on the 280. The 500 however... hmmm... maybe even with my expectations of the quality.
Jul 05, 2017, 08:17 PM
rc user
That's the one, the Storm. Similar design, the main bearings run in tube, necessary since the upper bearing isn't in the frame. The servos aren't doing all the work, but it looks like they help stabilize the mainshaft some.
Jul 06, 2017, 01:49 AM
Thats was some good priced helis... The 500 is belted? You guys will keep it FB or make it FBL ?

I see the blade holders are plastic one piece just as i got om my 500E.. Would it work rebuilding the head to FBL by linking bladeholders to swash ?

I wrong buyed a align 500 head convention set when buyed my Trex 500 at $50 or so.. Still unused..

BA
Last edited by Black_Angel; Jul 06, 2017 at 03:47 AM.
Jul 06, 2017, 03:43 AM
I'm surprised they are making them with flybars, don't FBL heads have fewer parts?

I'm tempted to get the 450 ($50 right now) and drop on this Tarot FBL head:

https://www.banggood.com/Tarot-450PR...mds=mywishlist

Would I need to get a new swash as well, or do you think I could slap that head on and be good-to-go?
Jul 06, 2017, 04:34 AM
Hi LiquidDrift

Interesting idea, but I would be wary. There have already been comments on other forums about the quality of this one.
I would imagine the airframe could be made to work, given careful assembly, but the electronics fitted would give me cause for concern.
For instance, the esc used looks to be a very old design and would not have the refinements of more modern units.
Have to say, for that price I wouldn't expect too much, but I would imagine the company bought up a load of obselete stock and put it all together.
Anyway, worth a try if you want, but I wouldn't.
Suggest you build it first as FB, before you spend out on a FBL head which is probably better quality than the rest of the model.
One thought, if I haven't put you off. The model comes without a tail gyro. I understand that the Kbar FBL unit works well as a tail gyro alone and if you decide to go FBL later, you won't have to buy it again.

Jeff
Jul 06, 2017, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord
Hi LiquidDrift

Interesting idea, but I would be wary. There have already been comments on other forums about the quality of this one.
I would imagine the airframe could be made to work, given careful assembly, but the electronics fitted would give me cause for concern.
For instance, the esc used looks to be a very old design and would not have the refinements of more modern units.
Have to say, for that price I wouldn't expect too much, but I would imagine the company bought up a load of obselete stock and put it all together.
Anyway, worth a try if you want, but I wouldn't.
Suggest you build it first as FB, before you spend out on a FBL head which is probably better quality than the rest of the model.
One thought, if I haven't put you off. The model comes without a tail gyro. I understand that the Kbar FBL unit works well as a tail gyro alone and if you decide to go FBL later, you won't have to buy it again.

Jeff
Thanks for the advice Jeff! Yeah I'm not expecting much and yeah I would start out using the FB and see how everything goes before moving on to FBL. I happen to have been gifted two old Dragonus II helicopters which are OOP (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...65#post7403565). I was thinking once I run out of parts for them, I could move the ESC, Motor, gyro, and servos over to a new cheap-o frame that has spare parts. Also looking at this other Trex clone that is FBL and TT: https://www.banggood.com/ALZRC-Devil...-p-990757.html

They are so cheap that it just seems worth a shot at getting them flying for a bit. If they suck that bad then I can move on and not feel too bad for wasting $50.
Jul 06, 2017, 05:41 AM
Hi again, LiquidDrift

Sounds like a plan to me, let us know how you get on.
That Alzrc airframe looks good as well. Bet it's better quality than the XFX one
Interestingly enough, I have a Dragonus too. Been hanging off the wall for years.
Can't decide whether to stick it on e-bay or cull the bits and junk it.
Jury still out on that one.

Jeff
Jul 06, 2017, 05:50 AM
I had to order a XFX 500... i used the BG link at $39.99, its a bargain !!!

BA
Jul 06, 2017, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Angel
Thats was some good priced helis... The 500 is belted? You guys will keep it FB or make it FBL ?

I see the blade holders are plastic one piece just as i got om my 500E.. Would it work rebuilding the head to FBL by linking bladeholders to swash ?

I wrong buyed a align 500 head convention set when buyed my Trex 500 at $50 or so.. Still unused..

BA
Hi BA

Yes, difficult to turn down at that price. Seems to be some question about quality, but I guess we'll never know until they arrive.
Mind you, my Skya 500GT has often been criticized for that, but mine's been going strong for many years.
Plan at the moment, both Pat and myself, is to build them up using as many supplied parts as possible. Can't imagine any issues that can't be fixed with careful assembly.
Assuming they fly ok, mine will be going TT tail, and probably FBL as well. Always wanted to try TT on a 500, but my GT is flying so well I don't want to risk spoiling it.

As regards the 500 head, certainly possible. I've done it myself a couple of times on models so old FBL heads were not available.
Two issues I see. First is the position of the balls on the head. Good rule of thumb is the distance between the balls on the head should be 1.5 x between those on the swash. Means your FBL unit can operate within its normal settings.
Might need some spacers for that.
Second is the washout base. This is designed to slide up and down the shaft. if you're going FBL, you still need this as a swash driver, but you can't allow it to slide. Need to find a way of clamping this to the shaft.
Align do something purpose designed:
https://www.align-trex.co.uk/500fl-f...ck-h50127.html
but that might be difficult to find and it's £23. Sure you can find a better way.
Let me know if you want any further details.

Jeff

P.S. I see you have ordered a 500 yourself. Good choice.
Forgot to mention I have a 280 on the way as well. That's a complete shot in the dark. Been years since I played with anything that small, but less than £20, no brainer.
Last edited by Border Lord; Jul 06, 2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling