Jul 05, 2017, 09:58 AM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Thread OP
Discussion

Sig 4 Star 54 EG

Can't find much here on the Sig 4 Star 54 EG so I though I would start a thread dedicated to the build of this plane.

I am in the middle of my build using an eFlight Power 46 and 60 Amp Cobra ESC.

All is well with the exception of one very twisted aileron out of the box that I have already contacted Tower about to see about getting a replacement.

I also want to go with a separate receiver battery as I do on all my electrics but can't seem to find room for one.

Any one that has built and flown this plane with similar electric power please feel free to chime in here with any advise on how to make this plane a great sport flyer.

Archie
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2017, 10:02 AM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Thread OP

Motor offset

Oh ya and I noticed that there is no firewall right offset to counter P factor thrust. Any one know why? Does this plane fly ok without?

Archie
Jul 07, 2017, 06:11 AM
mad winger I had one of these when they first came our, I used a 670 46 size motor with 4 cell, I think the prop was a 13x6. plane flew great, the fire wall off set was fine out of the box.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-Four-Star-54
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-pre-order
Jul 08, 2017, 02:35 PM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Thread OP
Thanks for the information and the two threads.

How did it CG with the Power 46 and 4 cell. Did you have to add any weight to the tail?

Thanks

Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39
mad winger I had one of these when they first came our, I used a 670 46 size motor with 4 cell, I think the prop was a 13x6. plane flew great, the fire wall off set was fine out of the box.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-Four-Star-54
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-pre-order
Jul 08, 2017, 03:12 PM
its been to long to recall for me
Jul 13, 2017, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwinger
Oh ya and I noticed that there is no firewall right offset to counter P factor thrust. Any one know why? Does this plane fly ok without?

Archie
It is a great flyer like all Sig planes. I actually am going to buy a Sig 4 star 64 and I mentioned about the P factor issue with the 54 on that thread and was suggested to do a throttle/rudder mix. I did and it works great.

I made a You Tube video of what I did.

Demonstrating Throttle/Rudder Mixing on Sig 4 Star 54 (3 min 5 sec)
Jul 13, 2017, 11:23 PM
I assume you turn off the mix for landing?
Jul 14, 2017, 02:42 AM
As soon as it is in the air flip the switch off.
Jul 15, 2017, 11:29 AM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinseattle
As soon as it is in the air flip the switch off.
Thank for the input here on the P Factor. I have never set up a mix like that but my try it.

The build is coming along fine. My replacement ailerons from SIG should be here soon. I am also building a tray to put a receiver battery in it that will high in fuselage over the wing or I may have to move it way back to get a correct CG. I always use a receiver battery in my balsa electrics just in case the ESC craps out and to use it to fine tune the CG. Its a 6 volt Ni Cad that I can fly all day on with out a charge. I want to use as large of a 4 cell as I can to get some good flight time out of it. So we will see how it all balances out and what the all up weight is.

When this one is flying I will be finishing up a Hanger 9 Pawnee and will start on a Hanger 9 DHC Beaver with a DA 35.

Archie
Aug 01, 2017, 03:25 PM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Thread OP

Cg

So..... with an Eflight Power 46 and a 4s 4000 lipo pushed all the way back she is still nose heavy. The receiver batt will have to go about 8 inches back behind the trailing edge of the wing to get a good CG starting point. I will leave the bottom covering open till I get it fine tuned.

The Power 46 I believe will haul this plane around nicely.

Archie
Aug 01, 2017, 05:36 PM
I just want to go fly!
I'm sure it will as I use a power 46 on 4s on a similar size plane with nice results. I fly this on. A 2,3 and 4blade prop for fun.
Sep 19, 2017, 12:56 PM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Thread OP

My 4 star is gone

Well Sunday I maidend my yellow 4 star 54 EG. First flight she was way too fast on the controls (not enough expo), but with the Power 46 upfront and the receiver batt half way back inside the fuse I had only a couple clicks down and right to get her to fly straight and level. After getting her down I adjusted the expo and she flew beautiful the rest of the day. Had a ball with a club member talking me thru some basic acro.

Monday morning, the first flight was un eventful and practiced some acro. Second of the morning I balled it up on landing. completely destroyed and it happened so fast I can't tell you what I did. The approach and speed were stable and usual, maybe a little fast but not much. Same as all the other landings. Wind was a few degrees off center line and 10 or 11 knots. About the same is the day before, but she rolled over and nosed in. Postmortem found nothing not working.

So I have no idea. It just happened so damn fast I can't figure it out.

Any way I have a new one on order! Love this plane.

Archie
Sep 21, 2017, 03:58 AM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwinger
Well Sunday I maidend my yellow 4 star 54 EG. First flight she was way too fast on the controls (not enough expo), but with the Power 46 upfront and the receiver batt half way back inside the fuse I had only a couple clicks down and right to get her to fly straight and level. After getting her down I adjusted the expo and she flew beautiful the rest of the day. Had a ball with a club member talking me thru some basic acro.

Monday morning, the first flight was un eventful and practiced some acro. Second of the morning I balled it up on landing. completely destroyed and it happened so fast I can't tell you what I did. The approach and speed were stable and usual, maybe a little fast but not much. Same as all the other landings. Wind was a few degrees off center line and 10 or 11 knots. About the same is the day before, but she rolled over and nosed in. Postmortem found nothing not working.

So I have no idea. It just happened so damn fast I can't figure it out.

Any way I have a new one on order! Love this plane.

Archie
Are you a 1:1 scale pilot?
Sounds like a stall, but you say you weren't slow. Nothing else would cause it to do that.
Sep 21, 2017, 02:38 PM
I Fly in Colorado too!
Thread OP
"Are you a 1:1 scale pilot?
Sounds like a stall, but you say you weren't slow. Nothing else would cause it to do that. "

I have about 60 hours of training in fixed wing and fully understand the conditions that cause a stall. It was not a stall. It was just me and my dumb thumbs. Had to be but still don't know what I did. may have been a gust from shifting wind that got under the wing and I did not react fast enough but I doubt it. I fly Futaba in everything but the EPO "bind and fly's" so perhaps an intermittent radio/receiver issue and I doubt that also. I will probably never know. I have not balled one up like that for a couple of years while learning.

Oh well.. another is on its way.

Archie
Last edited by madwinger; Oct 03, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Sep 05, 2018, 11:44 AM
Hi guys,

I maidened a friend's Four Star 54 the other day and have flown this plane three times now. He went with a Power 32 on 4S 4000 and the performance was very good. I'm very impressed with the quality and finish of this ARF as well. I'm really surprised we don't hear more about this offering. This is a great little balsa ARF and well worth the asking price.

Unfortunately, my friend got a little cocky and discovered that down is up and up is expensive when doing low inverted passes. He destroyed his Four Star 54 and has replaced it with a Four Star 64. I've flown both now and they are really nice aircraft.

Quick Reply