Amazon Drone Beehive Fulfillment Center - RC Groups

Amazon Drone Beehive Fulfillment Center

On Thursday June 22, Amazon filed a patent for a drone beehive tower listed as a "multi-level fulfillment center for unmanned aerial vehicles."

Splash

Amazon's Ambitious Drone Tower Patent

Up until now any drone delivery related news has been nothing more than a publicity stunt for creative marketing. The latest news from Amazon however, appears to be practical and something we can and should expect to see popping up around cities in the future. On Thursday June 22, Amazon filed a patent for a drone beehive tower listed as a "Multi-level fulfillment center for unmanned aerial vehicles." In the filing Amazon writes "Unlike traditional fulfillment centers, the ML fulfillment centers may include many levels (i.e., stories, floors, etc.) as permitted under zoning regulations for respective areas. The fulfillment center may have one or more landing locations and one or more deployment locations to accommodate UAVs, which may delivery at least some of the items from the fulfillment center to locations associated with customers."

The drawings submitted make it look like a beehive for drones, but they won't be making honey. These drones will pick up and transport packages to customers. Due to current battery technology limitations, this only works for densely populated areas like major cities, but it's actually a feasible idea once you solve the airspace, legal, and other logistical problems. I have to think that someday in the not so distant future, we'll be watching drones zoom in and out of these structures on their way to drop off same day delivery orders to eager customers. Source: US Patent and Trademark Office

Jul 05, 2017, 12:19 PM
volare est vivere
Saints and Angels in heaven preserve us, what next?
Jul 05, 2017, 12:19 PM
This will be really interesting to see how Amazon develops this beehive delivery platform to get stuff to our doorsteps. I think there are a ton of challenges to overcome to keep delivery safe and yet efficient. To me this is a cool use of the tech. Another method for Amazon generate more $$$$.
Jul 05, 2017, 12:42 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
What does this mean for those persons that are fortunate enough to fly out of their own backyard?
Will Amazon be able to keep hobbyist traffic out of the sky if it interferes with Amazon's flight plans??
Jul 05, 2017, 01:06 PM
Tacoma, WA, USA
Baloney, it's still "nothing more than a publicity stunt for creative marketing".
Jul 05, 2017, 01:50 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
The cost would be astronomical, and someone would have to pay for it, even if it was vaguely feasible.

Delivery options ?

Postal delivery, $x

Drone delivery, $xxxx
Jul 05, 2017, 04:59 PM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by William A
Baloney, it's still "nothing more than a publicity stunt for creative marketing".
A similar thought crossed my mind too. Aside from making sure that no one else can develop a similar concept.

Depending on the frequencies they operate on and assuming it will be in the SHF range, one good solid downpour of rain and transmission is unreliable.

Not good for drone traffic in and out of the "hive".

Someone must have been watching "Metropolis" and hit upon the idea. LOL

May be in operation in the city you live in by ..... 2067.
Jul 05, 2017, 05:08 PM
RP-sUAS
Seems silly to patent the easiest part of a UAS delivery system first, when the difficult parts (battery/energy density tech, destination-side recognition/landing suitability, airspace integration) are still so completely unaddressed and not at all on the near horizon. I mean this is basically "look, we conceptualized a building with lots of holes in it that drones will take off from and land on". Pure genius.

So yeah, I'll throw my bets on "publicity stunt and creative marketing" as well.
Jul 06, 2017, 09:25 AM
Gettin' back into flyin'
I think this has as much chance as the household robots predicted in the 1950s.
Jul 06, 2017, 05:54 PM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
The cost would be astronomical, and someone would have to pay for it, even if it was vaguely feasible.

Delivery options ?

Postal delivery, $x

Drone delivery, $xxxx
You are already paying for it as some not so bright spark(s) have been paid for this design work to date....
Jul 06, 2017, 08:42 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
It's a little bit cheaper to draw pictures than it is to build a whole drone delivery system, but we won't worry too much about that.
Jul 07, 2017, 12:22 AM
Seeing how Amazon bought Whole Foods, how long until the drones are delivering Gallons of milk?
Jul 07, 2017, 01:32 AM
A real Beehive !
Jul 07, 2017, 04:13 AM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
It's a little bit cheaper to draw pictures than it is to build a whole drone delivery system, but we won't worry too much about that.
You would think so, but I bet you they have spent a mint on what they have "designed" to date and will no doubt spend significantly more on "design" than they ever will spend on an actual working "beehive" drone centre.
Jul 08, 2017, 04:36 PM
Now where did I put that big can of Raid?