List of frames that are ideal for the RunCam Split - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 05, 2017, 02:20 AM
It's good to be geek!
Discussion

List of frames that are ideal for the RunCam Split

Frames for RunCam Split

The RunCam Split is in my opinion the most ideal solution (to date) for drones, or quads, when one would normally always mount an HD action cam, such as the GoPro Session and the like. The camera is small, the accompanying DVR board isn't too hard to mount, the FPV feed is excellent and low latency, and the recorded HD footage is excellent. All for a very low price when you consider the FPV feed is on par with the Eagle/Monster cameras, if not better, and provide HD recording in addition. But this configuration isn't without it's challenges. Mostly the complaint is that if you place the camera where you'd normally put the FPV camera, the props show in the footage. We usually don't care about props in the FPV feed, but most people don't want them (or the frame) in the HD footage. Another possible issue is the way the microSD card is mounted. It means you have to have top access to the board to remove the card. I say possible because it might be a problem for some to retrieve the video files via USB. I found that on my laptop if I use the USB2 ports it kills the USB2 bus, even when it's the only thing plugged in (I usually have a mouse on that bus). However, if I use the USB3 port - which by spec was designed to charge devices, such as smartphones, it does the job just fine.

So basically, I'd like to get everyone to post their findings of frames that utilize the 30*30 FC stack mounting pattern, have the space to put the DRV board, and also have a GOOD way to mount the camera so that no frame or props are in view of the DVR footage (it might not be in the FPV feed, but sometimes is still in the DVR footage, which has a wider view than the FPV feed). Please post your photos, and link to purchase the frame, at a minimum. If you have a review to link to, that's even better. I will post the purchase links here in the original post.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2017, 03:47 AM
It isnt so much the frame type, its what electronics you use in the stack. On a lot of the newer frames, they were designed with the idea of 4 in 1 esc and then AIO FC (pdb / osd etc).

If you dont use a 4 in 1 esc, you can basically just use a single AIO FC and move escs out to arms and there are very very few frames that wont take atleast one more stack.

On the camera and props, thats a bit different. A lot of X frames may have issues, but I cant see why most H type frames, like the Chameleon where the camera is moved forward, would have any issues.
Jul 05, 2017, 04:18 AM
It's good to be geek!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki
It isnt so much the frame type, its what electronics you use in the stack. On a lot of the newer frames, they were designed with the idea of 4 in 1 esc and then AIO FC (pdb / osd etc).

If you dont use a 4 in 1 esc, you can basically just use a single AIO FC and move escs out to arms and there are very very few frames that wont take atleast one more stack.

On the camera and props, thats a bit different. A lot of X frames may have issues, but I cant see why most H type frames, like the Chameleon where the camera is moved forward, would have any issues.
Yeah, the board part is sometimes solvable by not using a 4in1 or PDB. Using FCs like the BetaFlight F3 or CL Racing F4, for example, and ESCs on the arms can free up a lot of space in frames. I'm the designer and producer of the BULLIT Drones Xcaliber, which will indeed fit the Split, but props will show in the recording (much to my dismay). I'm also working on a new frame design to accommodate the Split in a practical manner. The Xcaliber was designed with mounting a GoPro Session in mind, and it is still probably the most COG balanced frames on the market. The potential for reducing weight and making a tighter COG using the Split is sexy!
On the Chameleon, the sales manager for Armattan is my flying buddy, so I'll have to convince him to do a Split build to find out. XD
Jul 10, 2017, 01:24 PM
Another option to keeping props out of view is to mount the motors upside down. But then you have the issue of props near the battery
Jul 10, 2017, 09:51 PM
It's good to be geek!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug5532
Another option to keeping props out of view is to mount the motors upside down. But then you have the issue of props near the battery
That might work on some frames and not others. I'm open to listing a frame where that works and fixes. I'm not so worried about props being on the same plane as the battery - both of my frame designs have this and it's never been an issue (except if the battery is too long and slides back, which I avoid anyway). As I've stated before, this is less of an issue than ESC prop strikes. Of course it depends on if you're using a sticky pad and rubberized lipo strap(s). Mine have two staps and I use a damn sticky pad with rubberized straps and my batteries never move, much less eject.

I'm more concerned about hitting the props on the ground every dame time I land. LOL
Jul 12, 2017, 04:45 AM
aka W4RH34D

Split Frame

As soon as we heard about the Runcam Split we knew it will require a dedicated frame due to its wide field of view. So for the last few weeks we have been beavering away trying to get this design sorted and it is almost finished.
It is a 210 size X frame, so perfect for both racing and freestyle.
It has 4mm replaceable arms.
It allows for minimum of 3 30x30 (36x36) PDB's stacked on top of each other - some clever positioning might allow you to put 4 in there.
The stack is protected by a top plate as well as standoffs, so your Split investment is protected.
The camera unit has a strong cage around it to additionally protect the crucial element.
We have found that the original lens is somewhat average and we have made allowance for the Gopro lens to be used without sacrificing its protection.
The whole frame with standoffs weighs at around 105 gram.
The front to back balance is perfect.
The prototype should be with us shortly...
Watch this space
Jul 12, 2017, 07:36 AM
It's good to be geek!
COOL! Can't wait!
Jul 12, 2017, 12:23 PM
I was thinking of trying this with a QAV-R
Aug 03, 2017, 07:21 PM
Hello, I recently bought the runcam split and I use it on my lisam 210. It feets perfectly on the frame.

I've adjusted the fov settings to medium and in the fpv feed you can't see the frame, only the props a little bit. But in the hd footage you can see a little bit the frame, but not so much. I think that it will easy to fix with a little modification of the mount of the camera.

Here it's the first video I made with the split, so you can see how much the frame is visible.
Lisam 210- Runcam Split (3 min 40 sec)

Pd: please sorry about my English, quite a lot of time that I doesn't practice it
Aug 10, 2017, 05:05 AM
aka W4RH34D

Runcam Split Dedicated Frame

OK guys, so I just received my prototype kit.
It completely removed the props from the view.
There will be some changes to it, but I feel I can show you where this is going.
A proper announcement of this frame will come at some point in the future, once I'm completely happy with it
Let me know what you think!
Aug 10, 2017, 02:25 PM
It looks great!
And the camera seems to be very well protected!
It is a 210?
Aug 11, 2017, 03:09 AM
aka W4RH34D
Pablo,
to allow myself a bit of breathing space from the Bangood copycats I wont share any more specific information at this stage, sorry.
This frame was created with protecting your Split investment in mind at the same time as allowing it to show its full potential.
For this reason the camera "cage" is very strong. to get to the camera itself an object would literally have to pierce it straight on.
Also the Split board and the rest of the stack is well protected.
The rest of the frame is very strong and stiff as well.
In general it will be a good frame for a beginner as well as a serious flier.
Aug 13, 2017, 02:28 PM
rc nub
It looks very nice! Any idea how much vibration there's going to be? A little jello on the FPV feed is normal but for a recording camera it's really annoying.

And also, how does it look when you spin your drone around your front/back axis? It looks like the camera is a lot higher than the props, which would make it look less centered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadu
OK guys, so I just received my prototype kit.
It completely removed the props from the view.
There will be some changes to it, but I feel I can show you where this is going.
A proper announcement of this frame will come at some point in the future, once I'm completely happy with it
Let me know what you think!
Aug 14, 2017, 03:14 AM
aka W4RH34D
Well, vibration will inevitably be transferred onto a camera, just like you get with a strap mounted gopro. There is no way of removing that transfer completely without using additional dampeners.
My plan was to fly this frame over the weekend, but unfortunately I made a mistake and fried my FC
Hopefully will have another one sometime this week and will start to play with the new setup.
Although this frame is still at a prototype stage if anyone would like to get one feel free to get in touch.
Aug 22, 2017, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadu
Although this frame is still at a prototype stage if anyone would like to get one feel free to get in touch.
I'd love to talk about a beta purchase, I'm still very new to the multi-rotor world but love the video I'm getting from my split and would really be interested in trying it on an actual frame (so far just 3d printed frames for me) But this camera makes me want to step up my game to something more legit.
So if the offer still stands and there's a possibility for me to purchase one of these I love the idea and design from what I'm seeing so far!

(Typical stack is a lumineer quick disconnect PDB (told you I'm new, I break arms...) F4Flame FC, and whatever ESC's happen to end up on the arms. Furious FPV Innova V4 VTX with of course the runcam split!)