Feb 18, 2019, 01:34 AM
Have a great museum day! TB54L
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicentro View Post
This can come from the ESC.
Possible procedure, remove the propeller, turn on the DX9, gas thoroughly, turn on the Nano, after the beeps remove the gases.
What you are asking me to do is a throttle calibration, but has nothing to do with failsafe options (IMHO)....
Last edited by ralfrcgroups; Feb 20, 2019 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2019, 05:32 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!

Build 2.0

I figured I would post final pics of my nano talon build 2.0. I have a frsky Xlite with the r9m lite system with the slim+ receiver , as you can see in the pictures I have one of the antennas for the slim+ going through the wing vertical and the other antenna horizontally mounted down the other wing. Since the cables to the antennas are so small I had to move the rx all the way to one side of the fuse. I moved the rx to the side that I put the antenna vertically through the wing. The other antenna is mounted to the other wing, because the antenna cable is so short, the antenna is mounted so I can sip one side of the antenna element out of the small straw pieces that are hot glued to the canopy. It makes taking off the canopy almost as easy as it is to take the stock canopy off, and the other side of the element is secured to the wing. I also rerouted the servo wire from the top compartment and ran them through the bottom compartment back up through a hole and back into the stock stabilizer, all without adding or taking away any wire to the stock servo wires. I also took out the bec power wire from the stock esc connector and replaced with the power wire from a aftermarket bec that I installed in the bottom compartment. I have a foxeer micro arrow v3 that has a 2.3mm lens. So I ran the video wire down in the very bottom of the plane, and to extend the wire to the vtx, I bought 2 feet of 24 size metal shielded wire. I ran the wire thought the hole the Stock servo wires ran though and mounted the vtx in the back right in front of the vtail which helps out tremendously with CG. My heaviest battery a 1800mah 4 cell fits and cg work if I put the battery as far back as I can. For the flat wing mod I used square metal pipe from ace hardware it was some 5mm if I remember correctly. If you want some more info I did a small write up on it a couple of pages ago, sorry if it's not very detail. I did end up hot glueing the wing spar in place because there was a little slop without the glue... And with my flat wing mod all the slack was take out of the play in the ailerons. I did not move any servo linkage to the ailerons. I wrapped the little spars that controls the vtail flaps that goes into the fuse, in tape, to tighten up the servo play in the vtail as well. I barely had one loop of tape and that was almost to thick. I had to use a Razer to trim excess tape and I had to use dish soap to lube it up for it to slide in. So all in all, i am very happy with the way the Nano Talon turned out
Feb 20, 2019, 05:47 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Is the stock esc 5 cell compatible? I have a extra sunnysky 2306 2300kv motor that I am debating on weather to drop it in or not. I don't want to loose those long flight times but a little speed in life is always fun.

Does anyone know if this plane can take some speed ? Maybe 75mph??

I have already made the wings lock into place and I wouldn't mind doing the same for the tail.

I have been thinking of putting a flight controller in it. I red way back in the pages of this thread that people were having issues with inav and this plane. Was that user error? Or did that get taken care of?

Just questions for Nano talon build 2.1

Thank you,
Wayne
Feb 20, 2019, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.wayne View Post
Is the stock esc 5 cell compatible? I have a extra sunnysky 2306 2300kv motor that I am debating on weather to drop it in or not. I don't want to loose those long flight times but a little speed in life is always fun.

Does anyone know if this plane can take some speed ? Maybe 75mph??

I have already made the wings lock into place and I wouldn't mind doing the same for the tail.

I have been thinking of putting a flight controller in it. I red way back in the pages of this thread that people were having issues with inav and this plane. Was that user error? Or did that get taken care of?

Just questions for Nano talon build 2.1

Thank you,
Wayne
No i doubt that the stock ESC is 5S capable.

This plane cannot do 75Mph! Even if you put it in a steep dive with motor on WOT it still cannot exceed 140km.

Locking wing and tail into place is a good thing to do for this plane.

There is an inav issue that covers every winged aircraft, not limited to this Nano-Talon. In flight disarm cannot be attributed to user ... The FC either passed all pre-check s and is good to go, or there is something out of order - therefore FC should not arm.
Mid air disarm after random flight time, is definitely software to be blamed. Some people have been lucky enough and did not encountered mid-flight disarms so far.

For what is worth, i have flown and still fly this plane occasionally, when wind-speed is less than 24kmh, with inav 1,7.something without any GPS nor OSD, for more than 400 effective flight hours, and routinely reaching ranges of 15-20km or more if the wind-speed permitted.

Hope that answer your questions.

To be noted: all of the Talon family does not do well in terms of efficiency above 80kmh.
Feb 20, 2019, 12:55 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
I meant with a motor and esc upgrade would the plane be able to handle more speed or does the wings start shaking or is it going to fall apart if I hit a cerian speed like a airplane cabin decompression at 35,000ft in the movies?

I havent found anything on Peoples putting faster motors in yé òl nano talon.
I'm not trying to turn this into a rocket, I think its fun it climb up the mountains and more power never hurts and if I go up I have to come down and you see my dilemma

Thanks for your reply
Wayne
Last edited by G.wayne; Feb 20, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
Feb 20, 2019, 02:34 PM
Quote:
I meant with a motor and esc upgrade would the plane be able to handle more speed or does the wings start shaking or is it going to fall apart if I hit a cerian speed like a airplane cabin decompression at 35,000ft in the movies?

I havent found anything on Peoples putting faster motors in yé òl nano talon.
I'm not trying to turn this into a rocket, I think its fun it climb up the mountains and more power never hurts and if I go up I have to come down and you see my dilemma

Thanks for your reply
Wayne
You could put quite a lot of ESC and motors, but IMHO none will make this plane to go at 75mph in an efficient way.
This plane flies efficient at 50 - 60kmh and if pushed harder maybe 70kmh.
I doubt that it will brake apart until it reaches 200kmh if flow smoothly (no sudden sharp turns nor pitches up or down) ...
But i suspect that for reaching 140kmh and above, it will draw more than 40 Amp on 4S because its fuselage blunt shape acting like a huge air-brake.
If your plane will require above 30 Amp to fly at lets say 110 - 120km or 130kmh ,then if you want to fly at that speed for 60 minutes, your plane needs to carry a 30.000mAh 4S battery. So in terms of efficiency, that will be highly inefficient.

This plane draws 3 - 4 Amps when flown at 40 - 50kmh, and 5 - 6 Amps from a 4S, when flown at 60, and about 8 Amps for 70kmh. To fly at constant speed of 70kmh for 30 minutes, it will deplete 3500mAh so if you want not to destroy your battery, you will need at least a 4000mAh Li-ion pack.
For climbing mountains, speed it not the main factor ... You need ascension speed, and YES, this plane is able to climb fast enough, but it will do that efficient at 50kmh ... while sustaining at least a climb rate of 4m/s ...

My point is:
- in terms of horizontal speed, this plane cannot deliver 75mph in an efficient way. There are out there planes that are able to achieve and maintain 75mph(straight level flying) while drawing 20 - 25Amps or even less, from a 4S pack.
- in terms of climb rate/climb speed to achieve higher flight altitudes, this plane can sustain a 4m/s climb rate, or even 5m/s in an efficient manner ...

On the Youtube, are some videos in which a Nano-Talon with stock ESC and motor if flown climbing and descending mountains.
Feb 20, 2019, 02:35 PM
Maybe this video will help you decide:
ZOHD Nano Talon long range TBS micro, Selstad (8 min 37 sec)
Feb 21, 2019, 11:30 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
I first off want to say thank you PaunFD for posting that amazingly beautiful flight footage! I must not be accurately describing what I will be wanting to do. I am going to put one of the extra mini quad motors I have on hand. its probably going to be the sunnysky 2306 2300kv and its good up to 5 cell.I usually get anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes depending on how in flying on my quadcopter, and I don't hear about 15 min flight times with a 1500mah 4 cell so I feel the motors are pretty efficient. Or the new flitetest radial motors sound So awesome! I might buy one just for the sound. So on my nano talon on my next round of upgrades are going to include a flight controller, gps, esc, and motor. So When I'm flying around On my 1500-1800mah 4 cells I will maybe give it WOT for 30 seconds at most when I am feeling wild, so maybe once or twice a pack depending on how fun it is. If it's real fun I will just have to change out the battery more often thats all..

. I was just trying to ask if the airframe could handle a little speed that is all, I mean little more, not like ha ha little more speed ha ha ha... I would hate to spend all this time personalizing my plane for me to get to WOT once and it break and the thing and When I would post about it. Some one would say I could have told you that any speed over stock speeds would snap the Fuse or whatever.

That is all hypothetical above but what I'm trying to avoid. I guess the best answer to my questions are to just to go and have some fun

Thanks
Wayne
Last edited by G.wayne; Feb 21, 2019 at 12:08 PM.
Feb 21, 2019, 01:35 PM
Wayne, this plane is not aerodynamic to begin with. Its fuselage, and its wing's shape are not designed for speed, nor for efficient flying at speed above 70km (~43mph).
Giving it a WOT for 30 seconds will not hurt the plane, but it will not make it fly faster than 70mph. Or maybe you will make it fly at 80 or even 90mph, but it will draw way much more power than the Dart 635mm, or the mini-ArWing, or SonicModel F1 Wing.

If speed and fun speedy flying is what are you looking for, than this plane is not for for you. You could check out the Dart 635mm wingspan that is capable of flying at 62mph while drawing about 12Amps from a 4S pack, and i've seen people flying it as fast as 250kmh (155mph).
Also little Dart can be flown slower with great efficiency. Of course little Dart will have difficulties carrying a runcan 2 cam, but ... you trade speed for HD footage, or you can install a runcam-split.

SonicModell F1 Wing out of the box, draws ~9 - 10Amps at 62mph, and about 18 Amps at 75mph ... so for a fast fun flying, i highly suggest to go for it.
Take a look at this video, and look at the numbers for Amps vs speed.
Sonicmodell F1 wing INAV 2.0.1 MAIDEN (6 min 46 sec)

I'm telling you, as honest as i can: Nano-Talon is not a speed daemon, and you're better buying some other plane. Nano-Talon is a slow flier, long endurance one ... With a 3500mah people have flown it more than 60minutes, but at speeds under 35mph. That is the speed where this plane is ... happy.
My best speed, as i said, in a steep dive, at WOT was about 120 - 125kmh, and as soon as i put the throttle at 50% - plane still in a steep dive - it reduced speed to 50mph.

Either way, you can go for this plane, to use a bigger more powerful motor, but at the end of the day, you're gonna way better in terms of speed with other planes.
Feb 21, 2019, 07:43 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
That looks like a fun plane right there, so is that a stock SonicModell F1 Wing? All your effort has paid off , I will keep the stock esc/motor combo at least for now I like how she flys as is.

What do you think of the strix goblin for a faster airframe?
Or
The Durafly® ™ EFXtra Racer High Performance Sports Model 975mm
Feb 22, 2019, 01:59 AM
Quote:
That looks like a fun plane right there, so is that a stock SonicModell F1 Wing? All your effort has paid off , I will keep the stock esc/motor combo at least for now I like how she flys as is.

What do you think of the strix goblin for a faster airframe?
Or
The Durafly® ™ EFXtra Racer High Performance Sports Model 975mm
That Sonicmodel F1 wing from that video is not mine, and the video is not mine. However, one of my colleagues has a F1 wing and i've seen how it flies on him, and on his plane and i have to admit that i've got impressed by its efficiency at speeds above 60mph.
On his plane i've seen that the plane stalls at any speed lower than 25kmh depending on AUW.

Goblin and Nano-Goblin and all planes from that family are design to fly faster with less amp draw. However like all other things, there are ups and downs ... and for this type of planes the "downs" or disadvantages is/are the fact that those planes does not fly well at lower speeds and tend to stall at speeds like 40kmh or even higher ...
They are a lot of fun, but you need to explore the planes behavior while plane is at higher altitude so you have one or maybe to mistakes space and altitude to recover and to avoid crashing. Also those planes are gonna put your piloting skills to the test ...

EFXtra Racer is also a great fast speed performance plane, quite aerobatic, but ... it will challenge your at launching/take-off. And like any other fast speed designed plane it will stall at higher speeds ... and again, for landings it will put the pilot skills to the test.
What i consider being the main down side of the EFX Racer is the fact that for FPV, adding FPV camera and Vtx will be more challenging and even so, the prop will be in the view of the camera. Therefore the image that one will get in FPV will be ... crappy because of the spinning prop ... I don't know about you, but i don't like seeing the prop ...
The EFX Racer is better used in LOS flying rather than FPV ... Looks great when doing low pass fast speed passes, and is quite impressive.

In the end, the choice is yours.
Feb 25, 2019, 09:14 AM
Rc Runner
The Gyro of the pnp version seems identical to that of the Darth can be used on fixed wing like the sonicmodell ar wing?
Feb 26, 2019, 06:25 PM

How to get Prop off Nano Talon

Busted the prop on my Nano Talon trying to take off without the stabilizer. I think I have a replacment prop coming from Banggood but how do you get the old prop off? Does it just screw off counterclockwise?
Feb 27, 2019, 02:46 AM
Hold the motor bell with 2 fingers and turn the prop clockwise.
Feb 27, 2019, 09:26 AM
Thanks Target0815, it came right off as you suggested. I am feeling kinda stupid.
Any ideas where I can buy a replacement prop other than wait a month for Banggood?

Quick Reply