Jul 04, 2017, 07:46 AM
more speed and less weigh
Thread OP
Discussion

the skunkworks pursuit of micro speed

hey guys I've been away a long time and last time i was here was in the pursuit of micro foamy speed.. my return to the land of RC is now all about fast small racing drones..

this is my first brushless project, and I'm in straight away with a custom made frame.

so in the pursuit of more power in a small frame I've started getting my own designs cut. there are some really awesome motors on the market now but in a 100mm or smaller frame you quickly run into small props and low pitch.. not that awesome for going really fast. this frame using the new spintech motors will come in at 58g dry and be making a good kilo of thrust with the rotorX 2535 props. i think in the long run though i'll look at cutting down some 3045s to 2.5".. the frame has been cut in both 1.5 and 2mm and the covers in 0.5 and 1mm ( i feel the 0.5 wont make the cut ) and as I'm not that good of a pilot yet i will build the thinner frame first with some racerstar 10000Kv 1102 motors, the dry weight of that setup is going to be right on 38g
not bad either way with a half decent camera rig.. ohh then there is the 11:1 power to weight ratio on 2s with the spintech's and a 550Mah 2S battery

build list..

bubby cat extralite 100mm frame cut by Great3d.com
20x20mm XJB F425 Dshot Flytower Micro F4 AIO OSD BEC Flight Controller & 25A 4in1
Spintech 1106 size 8000kV brushless motors
RotorX RX2535B 4 blade props
Eachine 1000TVL HD COMS Camera with custom printed standoff mounts ( SLS print as well not the desktop stuff I've seen )
Eachine ATX03 Mini 5.8G 72CH 0/25mW/50mw/200mW Switchable FPV Transmitter
FrSky Ultra Light XM Receiver
Gaoneng GNB 7.4V 450mAh 2S 80/160C Lipo's ( prolly 550mAh's as well)
Great3d.com soft mounts

frame parts are impressive 10g with hardware for the 2mm/1mm combo and 7g for the 1.5/1mm combo i have some 0.5mm covers too but i don't think they'll be a good idea

I've already begun work on a new frame design thats an acro build with a top mount battery and props in a X style, under slung FC tower and a run cam micro setup
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2017, 09:36 AM
How thick is the frame?
Overall specs are imho nearly perfect and seem to be the best parts currently available (if you are looking for power output instead of efficency)
But whould upgrade to a runcam mirco for better light handling.

Looking forward to the first flight fotage!
Jul 04, 2017, 09:47 AM
Thread OP
So I've got a 1.5mm base plate for the racerstar motors and a 2mm frame for the spintechs
I reckon it'll be pretty stiff as the arms have plenty width and good use of trangles to remove weight with out making the arms flexible.. it's possible the 1.5mm frame will be more than ridged enough for the big motors but I won't know till the frames get here
Jul 04, 2017, 11:25 AM
The 1.5mm frame will be light but fragile. I the the current benchmark is the lizard 95 on 4s. How do you plan on clocking speed?
Jul 04, 2017, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
That's a bit of an issue on the Micros. A gps unit is going to weigh to much. I don't think these motors would do well at 4s. They'd draw way to much current, there would be a bunch of smoke for sure.

Quick Reply