Wire Shroud Twisting - RC Groups
Jul 03, 2017, 02:38 PM
Discussion

Wire Shroud Twisting

I always seem to see wire shrouds attached to rigging couplers and clevises, at chain plates, without swivels. It seems to me that when adjusting the turnbuckles or rigging couplers, that the shroud would twist. I used swivels between my rigging couplers and wire shrouds, joining the coupler and swivel with a ring ding. What are your thoughts on this? The photo is borrowed, showing a typical installation.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2017, 02:59 PM
Thomas Armstrong
When you have the turnbuckles depicted in the photo, you should disconnect them from the deck, then turn to change the length, and finally reconnect to the deck. This way there is no twisting of the shroud material
Jul 03, 2017, 04:30 PM
I use those at the chain plates with a swivel either at the mast or inline about halfway up the mast.
John
Jul 03, 2017, 05:23 PM
With regard to swivels...I find them to be weak points. When under stress, my experience is that they will fail.

For that reason, I prefer tarmstos method.
Jul 05, 2017, 10:46 PM
I use wire connected directly to the rigging coupler and threaded onto the clevis with a 2-56 nut. You get it close, lock it down with the nut on the clevis, then pop the clevis out to remove any twisting. i put a piece of fuel tubing over the nut to make it easier to turn, and harder for it to turn on its own.

Swivels, quick links, etc, are all additional points of failure. Not to mention excess windage, weight, and drag when the boat is heeled over hard.
Jul 05, 2017, 11:46 PM
My clevises are extremely hard to open even when they are not locked shut. I have to pry them open with a tool. I never want to undo the clevis from the chain plate.
Jul 06, 2017, 07:37 AM
On a Vic like the pic once it's set your done. Do you take the mast down to transport ?
Jul 06, 2017, 08:30 AM
rigging screws from Sails ect.... yeah not cheap... but they work great...
Jul 06, 2017, 09:23 AM
Or

http://stores.rcsailboatparts.com/co...-screw-6-pack/

or Pekabe

No need for swivels with these.
Jul 06, 2017, 03:48 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Example on how to use those fittings - just bend the wire to pass it through an eyelet:

Jul 08, 2017, 10:36 PM
It makes a difference how far aft the chainplate/ shroud attachment is from the mast. When it is well behind, a forward or aft rake to the mast will require a change to the length of the shroud. A shroud near the mast will require little or no change. Unattaching and reattaching clevises seems very cumbersome and time wasting, especially when the adjustment was not enough, or too much, and has to be redone.
Jul 13, 2017, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_k
My clevises are extremely hard to open even when they are not locked shut. I have to pry them open with a tool. I never want to undo the clevis from the chain plate.
The clevises pictured are a little tight but they aren't ~that~ hard to open. Opening, adjusting and reattaching is the correct way to adjust them. I use them inside airplanes where the access is far more restricted than on the deck of a boat. Just slip a small flat blade screwdriver in and twist. Voila! Open.

The suggestion to slip a short piece of fuel tuning over the clevises is an excellent one. It will keep vibration from shaking them open when you least expect it. I've seen vibration do some pretty crazy things on full sized sailboats including shaking a snap shackle open on a spinnaker sheet one day when we had to let the sheet go to prevent a broach. We lost a brand new Kevlar spinnaker sheet and shackle, about $200 worth.
Jul 22, 2017, 03:09 PM

Wire,shrouds,clevises,rigging couplers,Turnbuckles

Hi all, I'm a novice Seawind owner. I purchased a USED carbon fiber Seawind. I would like to replace the Mast Wire, the shrouds, clevises, rigging couplers and turnbuckles and anything else that I would need to replace the MAST wires to the port and starboard chain plates. I broke one of the inner wires and had to use some line to repair it and just tied it off. any help with PN's or where to buy/get would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by HowBau; Jul 22, 2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added more info
Jul 22, 2017, 09:12 PM

Wire Shrouds etc.

My Sources:
Tower Hobbies, Rigging Couplers, 4-40, #LXEVT8, (6), $3.50 From Clevis to Split Ring
Tower Hobbies, Sullivan Gloden Clevis, 4-40, S528, #LXRU49, (12), $9 Fasten to Chain Plate on deck

AlbanyCountyFasteners-NY, Brass machine Screw Hex Nuts, (250), $8 Locks Coupler to Clevis

Amazon, Surflon Micro Ultra, Bright, 35 lb test, 5m, 1x19, $12 Wire Shroud

Midwest Model Yachting LLC, Crimps, Med # 216, $7 make wire loops at ends

Mud Hole, Fine Split Ring #4 (25), $1.32 Holds Coupler to Swivel

Hardware Store, Fishing Swivel, 3/4 inch long Between Split Ring and Shroud

Radio Yacht Supplies, Crimps Small, # 070-012 (old 070b), $6.27 make wire loops at ends
Last edited by alan_k; Jul 22, 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Jul 23, 2017, 10:25 AM

wire shrouds

Thanks for the info