Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2017, 02:11 AM
Please keep me up to date on this!!! Like it
Nov 15, 2017, 07:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashlnd
Having issues with GRBL hotwire not showing the port and speed area. Any Ideas??
What version of windows are you running? I remeber another user here im the forum having the same type of trouble.

It is all related to how the panels are anchored within the program window. I am not, by all means, a software designer so I believe this kind of glitches can happen.

If anyone else has some experience on Visual Studio, some help would be appreciated to tackle this matter.

Tks!
Nov 16, 2017, 07:40 PM
I have win 7
Nov 24, 2017, 09:40 PM
Who Put that Tree There?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasciodc
What version of windows are you running? I remeber another user here im the forum having the same type of trouble.

It is all related to how the panels are anchored within the program window. I am not, by all means, a software designer so I believe this kind of glitches can happen.

If anyone else has some experience on Visual Studio, some help would be appreciated to tackle this matter.

Tks!

Got it. Its was the resolution on my laptop. Fine now thanks
Nov 30, 2017, 05:10 AM
I'm keen to do this, though it will be my first foray into CNC of any kind.
Nov 30, 2017, 11:17 PM
Is this an achievable project for a first-timer? The mechanics is easy, the electronics is my concern
Dec 01, 2017, 04:57 AM
Well, I think with patience an diligence there is enough "help" in the internet to make this possible for a novice..its a shame your so far away from the real Wales or I'd be very happy to help you out personally. plus of course there's the fact your upside down and win at cricket too often.

It seems to suggest here that you use the 3d printer hot bed fet to drive the hot wire. In my experience of these RAMPS boards, especially the cheap ones suffer from failure due to the copper on the board having trouble carrying the current for the heated bed and the board fails when the board heats up and fries the fets/tracks...so in my view you can get it working and then use one of the external heated bed amplifiers offered on aliexpress to boost the current carrying capacity and get rid of the problem

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3D-p...StoreLevelAB=4

Good luck..regards JH
Dec 01, 2017, 06:32 AM
Thanks for your input and I did hear the cricket was on at the moment.
I do have a bow and variable power supply from my current drop arm setup, so I was thinking of keeping that as it is.
I will look at the list of components in detail this weekend. Plugging things together and cutting wires I can do, not so sure of load software into boards etc.
Dec 03, 2017, 04:02 AM
I plan to make the hardware as per the rckeith cutter - i.e. MDF towers etc and I assume that Nema 17 motors are sufficient?
Is there any practical advantage of a ball screw driver over a lead screw? Do the latter really wear?
Dec 03, 2017, 05:00 AM
I would have thought nema 17s were a bit weak..espiecally if the hot wire is tensioned by a spring..the extra tolerance given by ball screws is not necessary with foam cutting.. the kerf is a far bigger source of error.. and there is no dust or high speed so the wear factor isn't important either..and the key decision re the towers is how you intend to tension the hot wire..springs or the like require robust towers.. a bow based tensioner does not. Bear in mind the further the tower travel and movement the longer the bow or the greater the tension.I would guess that a bow would allow the use of Nema 17 motors
Dec 03, 2017, 06:25 AM
I looked at the 23's but they are quite large. OK lead screws it is. Frankly this is an easy setup than using 10mm all thread. Re bow/vs sprung wire - I'm not sure what is best. I've read lots of opinion on RCG, but have not seen a machine in use. I want to make thin glider wings and accuracy is important.
Would the arduino based system in this thread run with the Devfoam etc?
Dec 03, 2017, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMag
Would the arduino based system in this thread run with the Devfoam etc?
devFoam only creates the GCode/nc file, so no problem. It's a Cad/Cam application, not a Cnc.
For the compatibility list of the Cnc application devCnc Foam see http://www.devcad.com/eng/devcncfoam_f1.asp.
As you can see Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega 2560 and Arduino Due are supported, and the right optimized firmware is included.
This firmware includes also a CRC control over the commands sent to the controller, as sometime happens that the Usb module of Arduino makes error. In this case the fault command is not validated and sent again, avoiding to the cut path to go to get crazy.
Dec 03, 2017, 06:44 AM
thank you.
Dec 03, 2017, 08:30 AM
The other thing about Nema 17s is you can use the steppers drivers from 3d printers..which are cheap and fit the RAMPs board..using Nema 23s with the RAMPs board is going to be beyond the stepper drivers capability. RCKeith used TB6560 stepper drivers. This was some time ago... using TB6600 which have become available in the interim is a better bet. I use Stefano Durone's software extensively and I can certainly recommend it with no reservations, although I have not used the items he refers to. However the whole point of this thread was to use free software and cheap electronics with any old PC. for what its worth this implies using Nema17 motors. I built and over the top mechanical wise foam cutter some time ago with spring tensioned rene 41 hotwire.

Now I'd build something using openbuilds or maker slide with the RAMPs board ( with the mechanical slide bits sourced from china eg aliexpress, and the rails sourced here or in the US since shipping the heavy bits from China is expensive) so I look forward to seeing how you get on. I'd still use the rene 41 since its strong when hot and doesn't stretch excessively when hot, but with a bow.

regards JH

Quick Reply