Sep 21, 2017, 12:53 PM
i use a Solid state relay for my heat bed from RAMPS using 220v 25A
on my hot wire on the longest bow i use 16v 6A that is from a 36v 16A power supply
Last edited by dpot; Jan 08, 2019 at 11:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2017, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by acicuecalo
Is anyone using the ramps temperature control from the GRBL controller? I have problems because it seems the RAMPS does not provide voltage to the hot wire at the hot bed output when sending temperature setting commands. I've connected another power supply for the nicrom and none of the power outputs deliver voltage.
The D8 output (heatbed) is driven by a MOSFET which is connected to the 11A Power Input and to the arduino D8 pin, which is PWM capable.

The software is programmed to understand M3/M5 SXXXX commands to control the voltage output using PWM signals.

I have a 48V power supply connected to 11A input and the sliding bar on the software controls the output voltage on D8 like a charm!

Have you tried measuring the voltage on pin D8 of your arduino to see if the pwm signal is working? It should read from 0V (M3 S0 command or M5) to 5V (M3 S12000 command). If it is working, you may have a faulty mosfet.

Maybe the picture helps you troubleshoot your problem... D8 is arduino pin, GND and 12V are 11A Input Power, PS1 and PS2 are HeatBed Output (go to NiCr Wire)
Last edited by rasciodc; Sep 21, 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Sep 21, 2017, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Is anyone using the ramps temperature control from the GRBL controller? I have problems because it seems the RAMPS does not provide voltage to the hot wire at the hot bed output when sending temperature setting commands. I've connected another power supply for the nicrom and none of the power outputs deliver voltage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasciodc
The D8 output (heatbed) is driven by a MOSFET which is connected to the 11A Power Input and to the arduino D8 pin, which is PWM capable.

The software is programmed to understand M3/M5 SXXXX commands to control the voltage output using PWM signals.

I have a 48V power supply connected to 11A input and the sliding bar on the software controls the output voltage on D8 like a charm!

Have you tried measuring the voltage on pin D8 of your arduino to see if the pwm signal is working? It should read from 0V (M3 S0 command or M5) to 5V (M3 S12000 command). If it is working, you may have a faulty mosfet.

Maybe the picture helps you troubleshoot your problem... D8 is arduino pin, GND and 12V are 11A Input Power, PS1 and PS2 are HeatBed Output (go to NiCr Wire)
Hi, sorry

My modified grbl controller also change on S command. rather SXXXX, I scale the output voltage to 1/10 each step, as you can see temp slider range only 0~10.

Here is modified GRBL 8c2 to works with GRBL controller modified by me.
Last edited by TheFlyFreedom; Sep 21, 2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add file
Sep 22, 2017, 06:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyFreedom
Hi, sorry

My modified grbl controller also change on S command. rather SXXXX, I scale the output voltage to 1/10 each step, as you can see temp slider range only 0~10.

Here is modified GRBL 8c2 to works with GRBL controller modified by me.
I didn't find the change you made to make GRBL understand M3 S10 as 100% PWM duty cycle...In your code it is still expecting a M3 S12000 to output full voltage, as the printscreen shows.

Quote:
Acicuecalo, try typing the command M3 S12000 and check if you have any output on D8
Sep 22, 2017, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Acicuecalo, try typing the command M3 S12000 and check if you have any output on D8
It works!
Last edited by acicuecalo; Sep 22, 2017 at 03:08 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 03:12 PM
First test, success!

Thanks to all, especially to rasciodc and TheFlyFreedom for your help and support!
Last edited by acicuecalo; Sep 22, 2017 at 03:19 PM.
Sep 23, 2017, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
It works!
Nice!!

If you want to use the sliding bar to control the temperature of the wire, just go to file Config.h of the GRBL and change the value on line 171 from 12000 to 10 (which is the value that TheFlyFreedom set on his modification of the controller. You should have: #define SPINDLE_MAX_RPM 10

Happy cutting!
Sep 24, 2017, 09:36 PM
Great ...
Any one can share which type wire used for cutting ?
I use 30 AWG stainless steel, but it seems not to hot for 12V voltage
Sep 25, 2017, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyFreedom
Great ...
Any one can share which type wire used for cutting ?
I use 30 AWG stainless steel, but it seems not to hot for 12V voltage
Y use nicrom of 0.6 mm in diameter (don't know AWG equivalence), 1.2 meters length and it needs about 14 volts to cut soft foam.
Sep 25, 2017, 05:52 AM
I use rene 41 from here www.jacobs-online.biz/rene_wire.htm

generally I use 36 volts but with pwm so I can adjust the heat level

regards JH
Sep 25, 2017, 05:54 AM
btw there is a calculator for the wire/voltage /length on the web site I mentioned
Sep 25, 2017, 07:56 PM
How do you modify the airfoils to add spar slots etc? Do you have to have 2 different airfoils (root & tip) to have a spar slot of uniform width on a tapered wing?
Sep 25, 2017, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauptli
How do you modify the airfoils to add spar slots etc? Do you have to have 2 different airfoils (root & tip) to have a spar slot of uniform width on a tapered wing?
I usually design my wings in solidworks or sketchup and then export the point coordinates of the profiles to .dat file. By doing that it is possible to add spars wherever size or position you want.
Sep 28, 2017, 03:38 AM
Quote:
I usually design my wings in solidworks or sketchup and then export the point coordinates of the profiles to .dat file. By doing that it is possible to add spars wherever size or position you want.
How do you recreate the points synchronization when the spar is not parallel to the wing generation line?
Oct 25, 2017, 08:18 AM
Hello everyone of the forum. I am currently working on my Hotwire 4 axis and I come here to thank for the contribution and to all who have made the necessary changes, it was very good. Follow the video of the initial tests, soon I will be building the other tower and post the result of all this. Who wants to know more about me in private? Thank you
Video:
FHD0001 (2 min 8 sec)

Quick Reply