Sep 16, 2017, 08:01 AM
I respond to myself.
I've changed the parameters in default.h file of the arduino software and it works!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2017, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by acicuecalo
I respond to myself.
I've changed the parameters in default.h file of the arduino software and it works!
That's exactly what I was going to suggest you!

Though, I really would like to know how to make GRBL remember the last settings without needing to hard code them into the software directly...
Sep 16, 2017, 01:14 PM
To get the GRBL settings, where do you type in "$$"?
Sep 16, 2017, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauptli
Depending on the software you are using, there should be a command line somewhere... All softwares have it, at least the ones I use (bCNC and universal gcode sender)
Sep 16, 2017, 04:01 PM
Quote:
I use the arduino IDE serial monitor.
Be sure you choose both: New line & carriage return and set 115200 baud.
Last edited by acicuecalo; Sep 16, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Sep 16, 2017, 05:18 PM
I finally got the FOAMXL part working. It works very nicely. A really big thanks to Prop-er & all others who helped. Now I need to get the GRBL controller talking to the Arduino. I'm familiar with the Arduino / Ramps set up. I've built several 3D printers. I've compiled & uploaded the GRBL8c2mega2560RAMPS.ino to the boards. I can run the motors from my computer by using g codes thru Pronterface, but,I can't get theGRBL controller to bring in the GRBL info or control the motors either thru direct g code commands or the jog buttons.
Sep 16, 2017, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I finally got the FOAMXL part working. It works very nicely. A really big thanks to Prop-er & all others who helped. Now I need to get the GRBL controller talking to the Arduino. I'm familiar with the Arduino / Ramps set up. I've built several 3D printers. I've compiled & uploaded the GRBL8c2mega2560RAMPS.ino to the boards. I can run the motors from my computer by using g codes thru Pronterface, but,I can't get theGRBL controller to bring in the GRBL info or control the motors either thru direct g code commands or the jog buttons.
Are you presented with any kind of error message? You are talking about the GRBL Hotwire Controller, right?
Sep 17, 2017, 04:18 AM
I'm using GRBL Hotwire Controller and I can jog motors and play gcodes successfully.
Sep 17, 2017, 04:22 AM
Is it safe to supply up to 24 or 36v to the hot wire control of the Ramps?
Can the mosfet on Ramps withstand the load if current limit is less than 10A?
Sep 17, 2017, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by acicuecalo
Is it safe to supply up to 24 or 36v to the hot wire control of the Ramps?
Can the mosfet on Ramps withstand the load if current limit is less than 10A?
There are many different versions of RAMPS out there, so you should look up for the rated voltages of the components of your board. Check the voltages of the fuses, the capacitors and the datasheet of your mosfet model...if your board is like mine, you should be ok!

My board, for instance, is supplied with 24V at the 5A input, which drives the motors and the board itself (arduino is powered by USB, since I removed the diode on the RAMPS). At the 11A input I connected a 48V power supply, to drive either my spindle when I use the mill or the wire when I cut foam. Works like a charm!
Sep 17, 2017, 01:07 PM
Thanks a lot for your help.
Sep 17, 2017, 02:19 PM
When I call up the GRBL Hotwire Controller, the controller screen comes up. On the interface page I can bring in the airfoil Gcode. The jog buttons don't work. I can type Gcode into the manual command block & send, but, it does nothing. I can press unlock & start but nothing happens. On the settings page there is nothing in the GRBL settings block. I can't find any way to get the GRBL settings into the block. I am connected to the Arduino / RAMPS & motors by USB cable. I have a 12V power supply connected to the RAMPS board. I'm using 3 jumpers under each motor driver for microstepping. There are no error messages.
Sep 17, 2017, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
When I call up the GRBL Hotwire Controller, the controller screen comes up. On the interface page I can bring in the airfoil Gcode. The jog buttons don't work. I can type Gcode into the manual command block & send, but, it does nothing. I can press unlock & start but nothing happens. On the settings page there is nothing in the GRBL settings block. I can't find any way to get the GRBL settings into the block. I am connected to the Arduino / RAMPS & motors by USB cable. I have a 12V power supply connected to the RAMPS board. I'm using 3 jumpers under each motor driver for microstepping. There are no error messages.
Are you sure you have successfully connected the software to the arduino? Check if you are using 115000 baud rate and if the serial connection is solid. If so, GRBL should respond to you with a message as soon as it gets connected (it should display the grbl version or something like that...)
Sep 17, 2017, 10:52 PM
I compiled & uploaded the GRBL8c2mega2560Ramps program to the Arduino using COM3 & 115200 baud. All appeared to go well. Then I started GRBL hotwire controller. I got the same results as in my message above. No go. I then opened Pronterface (a program I use to set up my 3d printer). That is on COM3 & 115200 baud also. As soon as I hit "connect" it gave me "MEGA 2560 with 4 axes (x,y,z,u) GRBL 0.8c2". I then typed in $$ send & it showed the GRBL settings. All the physical connections are the same. With Pronterface I can make the motors run by sending Gcode. So it appears the Arduino / RAMPS & motor connections are OK. I still can't get the GRBL hot wire controller to recognize GRBL or make anything run.
Sep 18, 2017, 03:58 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Quote:
Thanks again Prop-er,but it still isn't working. I'm on W10 & Excel 2010. The program works fine as long as I don't change the airfoil away from the original sample. I'm convinced the problem is probably some simple computer thing that I'm just not savvy enough to pick up on. I've tried the sources you suggested, eliminated the first useless lines, & made sure the coordinates are listed in the order you specified. The coordinates come into the excel program OK. All is well until I hit "calculate".
I've got the same error, and traced the source:

Import root airfoil profile (.DAT)
Excel imports the DAT file and moves it to Excel sheet [DAT-ROOT]
Excel should parse the file, making sure X and Y values are in separate columns.
Instead, X and Y values are together in column A.
This crashes the calculation.

Quick Reply