Feb 03, 2020, 06:22 PM
Hi feigao,

Thanks for replying. I use Win 10 also. I have found that the longer I hold the mouse button the more it will cause double or more steps. If I do a very quick click it will only do a single step.

I think it is very good software and I thank the OP for his work. I just need to be a bit more careful and click a bit faster :-)
Last edited by vette454; Feb 03, 2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2020, 06:56 PM
@emufingers,
I spent a bit of time looking at this last night. If I navigate to the button with "Tab" and then press "Return" it gives a single response every time. Never fails. In my not so professional opinion, the windows key press delay is sufficient to stop any extra stepping - exactly as you suggested. To me it appears that windows treats a mouse press a little differently. I think while a left mouse press looks to most things as a single press or press and hold to move etc it also has a double press function. I think this extra complexity for a mouse press, which I haven't been able to adjust in any mouse settings might be causing this issue - for me at least although probably for one other person.
I tried with a number of mice and a mouse pad. The pad was by far the worst performer and even though it was fairly adjustable with its app it was a poor performer. As I posted above, a quick click almost always solves the issue for me.

I've taken up your suggestion regarding macros and included a couple for my horizontal axis but don't yet understand how to implement your soft limits approach. I need to give it a bit more thought as this stuff is all a bit new to me.

I hope no one takes offence with my questioning of this "issue" Without the generosity of the writers of this software I would still be producing pretty average wing cores from templates.

Thanks again for your response and your suggestions.
Feb 03, 2020, 07:27 PM
I hate propellors
Thanks for the feedback.
All that is needed to add safety to your horizontal axis is to manually move your wire by physically manipulating the drives with the power off to place the wire 20mm or so from the point where the physical limits occurs. . This will then become your new zero when the power to the steppers is turned on. It will allow your wire to move to negative coordinates without causing a physical clash. This gives you time to stop movement by clicking on the button on the screen.

I don't think anyone should be concerned with you raising this issue as it is a common problem with the mouse. I am about to play around with the keyboard settings to increase the delay and reduce the repeat settings to see if this will offset the problems. As you point out the mouse pad on a laptop is the most problematic. The sensitivity of the pad means that the attempt to move the cursor can initiate a click when you do not intend that. My pad has the ability to produce a left mouse click by physically depressing the corner of the pad. Left corner for ordinary click. This behaves more like a standard mouse click and reduces the problem. A sharp tap on the centre of the pad also induces a click, but this almost always induces a double movement.

Hope this helps.
Feb 03, 2020, 10:57 PM
OK, now I understand the soft limits bit. Thanks for that. I've not really played with gcode in any way at all before the last week. All a bit new. I've ordered new linkages for the couple I almost destroyed when the machine multi stepped and it's a lesson well learned.

Thanks again for your feedback and help. I'm off to turn a large piece of foam into lots of smaller pieces now
Feb 25, 2020, 02:27 AM
I have my bits arriving tomorrow for a new 4 axis build. I have been tinkering with software.
Is it possible to add holes for ribs in FOAM XL?
I have managed to make rid holes using Jedicut, but am unable to print left and right wings with jedicut gcode.

Any info on the best way to add ribs and then get that file back into foam xl would be awesome! Or make Jedicut print 2 wings in one g code.
Thanks
Feb 25, 2020, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacnz85
I have my bits arriving tomorrow for a new 4 axis build. I have been tinkering with software.
Is it possible to add holes for ribs in FOAM XL?
I have managed to make rid holes using Jedicut, but am unable to print left and right wings with jedicut gcode.

Any info on the best way to add ribs and then get that file back into foam xl would be awesome! Or make Jedicut print 2 wings in one g code.
Thanks
I can only suggest my devWing Foam 2 application (http://www.devcad.com/eng/devwingfoam_new.asp), but it's a commercial application, not free.
Feb 25, 2020, 05:25 AM

My lite machine

My lite cnc poly machine. To increase resolution I used stepper driver LV8729 with 128 microstep
Feb 29, 2020, 11:20 PM
Thats tidy
Mar 01, 2020, 12:08 PM

RCKeith CNC Hot Wire Cutter

I have just completed building a CNC wire cutting machine after following plans and videos published by RCKeith. The machine is based on NEMA17 stepper motors driving M10 leadscrews and standard ball bearing drawer slides. The stepper motors are driven by an Arduino with a RAMPS 1.4 shield running GBRL Hot Wire Controller . I am creating the wing design and g-code with DevWingFoam2.
I tried initially to use the on board output on the RAMPS board to power the hot wire but found it restricted me to only 12v. I found it troublesome to use and reverted to using a separate 0-30v , 0-10 amp bench power supply in constant current mode. I am running the cutting wire between the towers with a spring to provide tension.

As a novice to CNC I did not find it overwhelming to complete. It has taken me about 6-weeks to complete. This includes time waiting for parts to be delivered. The actual construction time was about 40 hours.

The plans and video can be found here https://www.rckeith.co.uk/
Mar 13, 2020, 05:42 AM
Can I use a cnc shield V3 instead of Ramps? I have made a mistake on my purchase
Mar 13, 2020, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Z
Can I use a cnc shield V3 instead of Ramps? I have made a mistake on my purchase
is it a MEGA 2560 R3 + rampes 1.4 contrôleur
Mar 13, 2020, 12:29 PM
Like this
Mar 13, 2020, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Z
Like this
This is ok for Arduino Uno, I think
Mar 16, 2020, 03:12 PM
Hello
this is my new project

DIY 4 axis foam cutter and DevCNC Foam (7 min 54 sec)
Mar 16, 2020, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieri70
Hello
this is my new project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpOwe02ajVc
Great work looks very good. Your hot wire power is very interesting .

Keith

Quick Reply