Sep 18, 2019, 04:00 AM
Hi, I did change the default to be 0 in the config.h file, and also the values in the default file, as was said to do in the early pages, and then I uploaded grbl to Arduino again, but I still get the same numbers when I press get grbl settings on hotwire controller.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 08:11 AM
I hate propellors
Quote:
Originally Posted by timomo
Hi, I did change the default to be 0 in the config.h file, and also the values in the default file, as was said to do in the early pages, and then I uploaded grbl to Arduino again, but I still get the same numbers when I press get grbl settings on hotwire controller.
You might have made the same mistake I made first time . I made change in the comment area. Make sure you change the code line.
Sep 18, 2019, 08:14 AM
I hate propellors
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo3441
Ill make a new thread here in the forum once it is finished, currently busy with exams but should be ready in a few weeks.

I attatched the current unfinished version, still some little bits to improve on the user interface. Just double click the jar file and it should run. set up the machine settings in the settings tab and then import your arfoils and the rest is self explanatory i hope. Press enter after changing variables to update the graphs, calculate buttons do the same thing. There are probably still some bugs so feel free to test it. I'll use the feedback to fix everything before sharing the final. ( reccomended value for cutting points & distribution coefficient are 500 and 1.5 increasing the number or density of points too much will mess up the cut path, i might just remove those settings for the final)
Thanks loaded fine and makes sense. I will happily play beta tester and advise any bugs direct to you. Looks good and very easy to understand.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:35 AM
How do I know where the comment section is?
Sep 18, 2019, 09:53 AM
Quote:
How do I know where the comment section is?
actual code // comment
Sep 19, 2019, 03:15 AM
I am not sure where I changed the defaults, but now I totally messed it up. I tried changing the config.h file, so it would not follow the defaults, but after that I couldn't even upload the original grbl. So I uninstalled Arduino, and then installed it hoping to at least load the grbl, and get two motors working, but now it still can't upload grbl with an error message saying that multiple cofig.h files has been found. I don't know what to do. By the way, when uninstalling Arduino, I also presed the restart button on ramps board.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:59 AM
Quote:
I am not sure where I changed the defaults, but now I totally messed it up. I tried changing the config.h file, so it would not follow the defaults, but after that I couldn't even upload the original grbl. So I uninstalled Arduino, and then installed it hoping to at least load the grbl, and get two motors working, but now it still can't upload grbl with an error message saying that multiple cofig.h files has been found. I don't know what to do. By the way, when uninstalling Arduino, I also presed the restart button on ramps board.
What you have to change:

in config.h

line 50: #define ALWAYS_DEFAULTS_SETTINGS 0

in defaults.h

line 254: #define DEFAULT_X_STEPS_PER_MM 80.00
line 255: #define DEFAULT_Y_STEPS_PER_MM 400.00
line 256: #define DEFAULT_Z_STEPS_PER_MM 400.00
line 257: /// 8c2
line 258: #define DEFAULT_T_STEPS_PER_MM 80.00

I attatched my grbl folder with all the edits done. Easiest might be to delete all of your current files and just upload that.
Sep 19, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aom
Hey guys. Wanted to build a cnc like this for ages, and since it seems like i've made it through the toughest semester at school, i think i can "afford" to play with this as a side project...

I have some questions though!

1. Could i use ramps 1.6? The pinout is supposedly the same. While im at it, could i use the MKS GEN L v1 board? It has the benefit of the atmega being incorporated on the same pcb if im correct. Im very new to electronics and coding...

2. As many of you have stated, accuracy is not the same here as in a cnc mill for example, but i still have some degree of paranoia when i see stuff like mdf and drawer-slides, i blame it on being a former CAD/CAM programmer and machine operator.

DODO3441 made a really neat design which i would like to try, but seeing as im too poor to build this machine twice, is it worth it to go "all-out" on linear components attached to alu extrusions, like ive seen somebody else do, or is this mix of DODO's construction materials viable? Im a student so my budget must not exceed something like 300euros...

3. Have any of you experienced problems with nema17? Im very uncertain about going for nema23, because generally thats where the ramps board will bottle neck, to my understanding.

4. Ballscrews, leadscrews or pulley/slider? (I think im going for ballscrews)

5.Since the budget is key here I will be ordering the most part of the build from banggood, since they seem to have almost all parts im looking for, any experiences here of their linear rails and or electronics, as in the atmega and ramps clones.

Many thanks for this thread, I stumbled upon this via Keith Howlettes videos on cnc wire cutting. Originally i'd thought about using a manual bow with weights and pulleys but i felt sick just thinking of all the crappy templates id make for my wingprofiles... Just love cnc!

Regards/A
Hi !!!
Remember that:
You have to be rich to be poor :-))
It's better to do it once and for all, because then you will do it again
Don't be offended DODO3441 your machine looks solid and maybe works great.
I made such a construction and it only worked well at the bottom when cutting out individual wings
When I was cutting more elements at the top, the towers pulled together and the geometry of the cut elements was bad (Poor stiffness)
so I had to do it again and build a frame structure that works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=sQ4EcWUnEW4

Of course this is my private opinion
Best regards !!!
Sep 19, 2019, 04:26 PM
Aom
Aom
Yes, indeed, im too poor to buy something cheap

Im nearly pressing the order button for some bang-good quality rails, haha!

Im going for nema17, leadscrews for every axis, optical rails, and this would all be bolted to some kind of mdf construction.

Im going for 600mm rails in X and 300mm rails in Y.

If i can make it compact and sturdy still, then i should probably be able so retain a movement of 450mm in X and 250 in Y.

I think this should cover my needs, im going to build mainly thin wing gliders and hopefully alot of flying wings.
Sep 20, 2019, 04:27 AM
Thank you for your file. I uploaded it, but the settings in the serial monitor didn't change. I tried changing them, but I get the same results as before. I still have 1500 steps per mm on y and z axis. What did I do wrong? I only want to get the motors working, as the hotwire controller accepted my gcode.
Sep 20, 2019, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.pietrek
I made such a construction and it only worked well at the bottom when cutting out individual wings
When I was cutting more elements at the top, the towers pulled together and the geometry of the cut elements was bad (Poor stiffness)
Had the same problems with the spring setup, but they are all eliminated by using a hotwire bow to create the tension, hence no forces acting on the construction.

Quote:
Thank you for your file. I uploaded it, but the settings in the serial monitor didn't change. I tried changing them, but I get the same results as before. I still have 1500 steps per mm on y and z axis. What did I do wrong? I only want to get the motors working, as the hotwire controller accepted my gcode.
Then I have no idea what you're doing wrong. It should use the default values from my file. And cant you just change them in the settings tab of the hotwire controller?
Last edited by dodo3441; Sep 20, 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:17 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo3441
Had the same problems with the spring setup, but they are all eliminated by using a hotwire bow to create the tension, hence no forces acting on the construction.
+1 for the bow.

-= Dave
Sep 21, 2019, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Hi,

This is maybe silly question, but did you recompile and send GBRL project to Arduino board After modifying that Config.h?
Sep 21, 2019, 11:33 AM
Yes, I uploaded the new grbl files after modifying the config.h. And yes, I can change them in hotwire controller seting tab, but that doesn't change the way the motors behave, and when I change the setings in the serial monitor to the settings in the default file it doesn't change them. I tried changing the number 0 to 1 in config,h file so that it would follow the defaults, but then it just said error compiling with mega2560 board. Then I uploaded your original config,h file replacing the one I changed, but it still doesn't let me upload it onto the board again. Isint it possible to purchase a board which would break down those steps? Or maybe there is something else I can try? Just crashed a plane, and I really need to get this machine going.
Sep 21, 2019, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Yes, I uploaded the new grbl files after modifying the config.h. And yes, I can change them in hotwire controller seting tab, but that doesn't change the way the motors behave, and when I change the setings in the serial monitor to the settings in the default file it doesn't change them. I tried changing the number 0 to 1 in config,h file so that it would follow the defaults, but then it just said error compiling with mega2560 board. Then I uploaded your original config,h file replacing the one I changed, but it still doesn't let me upload it onto the board again. Isint it possible to purchase a board which would break down those steps? Or maybe there is something else I can try? Just crashed a plane, and I really need to get this machine going.
Well something is clearly going wrong. With "but it still doesn't let me upload it onto the board again" do you mean that the settings are not changed, or that you cant upload the arduino sketch.

Uploading the Arduino sketch.
  1. Unzip the File i sent you
  2. open the GRBL8c2mega2560RAMPS in Arduino
  3. go to tools > select the correct board, processor and port
  4. click tools> get board info to check if the board is connected
  5. make sure you are in the "GRBL8c2mega2560RAMPS" tab, not in config.h or others
  6. verify
  7. upload

Then in hotwire controller select the correct port and connect. It should load my settings, steps/mm are 400 and 80

Whats weird is that even with the original settings you should be able to change the settings when using grbl controller, it would just not save them when you restart it. ( thats what the default option in the code should fix) So either you did something weird with the software or theres a problem with the steppers/drivers etc...

Quick Reply