Marblehead help!!! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 02, 2017, 08:34 PM
"Ich Bin Genial"
Discussion

Marblehead help!!!

Hello All,

I recently acquired a vintage Marblehead that needs some turnbuckles, I have searched the internet and have not been able to find the type I need any info is appreciated.

Tommy
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2017, 08:37 PM
"Ich Bin Genial"
Here is a photo.
Jul 02, 2017, 10:10 PM
unless some old timer has some of those in his parts box, and wants to sell them, you'll never find those
fittings. better to just go to "Midwest Model Yachting.com" and buy new rigging screws. if it's an old M you might
want to update the wire stays anyway, so can then use "modern" turnbuckles.
if you want to keep the boat more vintage, then the guy in Fla. that makes brass turnbuckles can help- but you
will most likely have to re-work the stays with those too. ( Model Yacht Fittings.com)
Allan
Jul 02, 2017, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Keyes
Hello All,

I recently acquired a vintage Marblehead that needs some turnbuckles, I have searched the internet and have not been able to find the type I need any info is appreciated.

Tommy
I do not recognize those as commercial products. As mentioned, Roger Cousineau at www.modelyachtfittings.com will duplicate vintage fittings provided you can figure out what the rest of it looks like. It appears to be some kind of quick-release setup.

Cheers,

Earl
Jul 03, 2017, 04:22 AM
I have some of those so can supply pictures

Tommy

where are you based ?
Jul 03, 2017, 04:47 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
I believe they are Probar quick release turnbuckles. The chain plates are definitely Probar. I have an old catalog. I will see if they are listed. Don Prough stopped making fittings more than 20 years ago and his fittings are near impossible to find. Beautiful stuff. All well machined from stainless steel.
Jul 03, 2017, 06:22 AM
Tommy, can we see the rest of the boat?
Jul 03, 2017, 09:09 AM
Not that vintage, parts are from the 1980s or 1990s. Very modern looking when assembled. Just go to the Sails etc. website and buy any of their stainless steel turnbuckles.
Jul 03, 2017, 02:03 PM
"Ich Bin Genial"

RE mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark dicks
I have some of those so can supply pictures

Tommy

where are you based ?
(Florida, USA) do you plan on selling them?
Jul 03, 2017, 03:17 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Below is the page from the catalog that shows the quick disconnect turnbuckles in the upper left hand corner. Sorry that it is not a good picture, but the catalog is Zeroxed. I do not have a price list or a date on the catalog.
Jul 04, 2017, 07:53 PM
Brighto?
Looks like a Soling 50.

Or maybe not. I like the old tech rig set up.
Jul 04, 2017, 09:12 PM
Not a Soling 50 ...
keel shape in the photos is nothing like a Soling 50
Jul 05, 2017, 10:26 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Can you post a photo of the text in the stand?
Some measures like LOA & Beam could also help identify the design...
Last edited by tarmstro; Jul 05, 2017 at 10:35 AM.
Jul 05, 2017, 10:49 AM
"Ich Bin Genial"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
Can you post a photo of the text in the stand?
Some measures like LOA & Beam could also help identify the design...
All it The stand Said is "Marblehead 50/800, (Builders Name, AMYA Number, And the prevoius's owners club AMYA Number)