Jul 02, 2017, 10:14 AM
Was a lookin fer loomyum foral
Thread OP
Discussion

Better Think Twice About Launching Missiles or Bombs From Your Airplane

Here for your learning and sadistic enjoyment :

Aircraft Store Separation Incidents (2 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Chophop; Jul 02, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
Jul 02, 2017, 11:24 AM
GTH NFL
Interesting collection.

When they tested bombing with F-14s early in the program, they found that the bombs tended to stay in the tunnel between the engine nacelles once released. So they'd just bobble along smashing into the nacelles and fuselage bottom until they cleared the aircraft.
Jul 02, 2017, 11:45 AM
They aren't launching missiles. It looks like they are dropping bombs.
Jul 02, 2017, 12:14 PM
Keep 'em Flying
They act as if they are lifting bodies.
Jul 02, 2017, 12:15 PM
Keep 'em Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip63 View Post
They aren't launching missiles. It looks like they are dropping bombs.
There are missiles in the footage.
Jul 02, 2017, 03:07 PM
Thread OP
Changed title to missiles or bombs. It's maybe like that dead spot behind the car mirror, stuff can get trapped and circle around in it. They mounted them too close to the wing. I think extending them out farther on streamlined pylons like the Russians do, would help with stiction and lower drag. Interference drag from what I hear can be worse than some types of profile drag.
Jul 02, 2017, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Like this SU-25
Last edited by Chophop; Jan 11, 2018 at 07:42 PM.
Jul 02, 2017, 04:34 PM
Thread OP
I should quit these discussions that end up political or in war stuff but, if you should get mad, then decide to put a few missiles or bombs on your 172 and go give 'em hell, better think twice, it apparently ain't easy.
Last edited by Chophop; Jul 02, 2017 at 05:40 PM.
Jul 02, 2017, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Interesting collection.

When they tested bombing with F-14s early in the program, they found that the bombs tended to stay in the tunnel between the engine nacelles once released. So they'd just bobble along smashing into the nacelles and fuselage bottom until they cleared the aircraft.
But didn't the Israelis use F14's as rather effective bombers?
Jul 02, 2017, 09:13 PM
GTH NFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf2qd View Post
But didn't the Israelis use F14's as rather effective bombers?
Israel did not have F-14s. The F-14 did become a successful bomber, but only within the last ten years or so of its life.
Jul 02, 2017, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
I felt deep pangs when I saw those payloads separate then smash the tails. Until I saw no apparent instability of the damaged aircraft. I suppose they can fly with only one tail surface half.
I was thinking, oh what if that were me in that airplane with a bomb or missile rolling around on the bottom of the wing and/or fuselage.
Jul 02, 2017, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
BTW look at one of the configurations of this SU-25. That is a mean airplane. Actually like something I had been cooking up for the future, but mostly already made. I doubt they are too stupid to have considered it.
Last edited by Chophop; Jan 11, 2018 at 07:42 PM.
Jul 02, 2017, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
Oh, I see why I have to stay out of those political things, I have the same last name as some people in the government and things I say could be mistaken for statements by the government. I only say what I think, not for the government, so any foreign people pay no mind to my jokes.
Jul 03, 2017, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
...if you should get mad, then decide to put a few missiles or bombs on your 172...
Actually, I have given serious thought to strapping some Stingers to a Pitts, Extra or some other aerobatic small plane.

Of course, you wouldn't be able catch anyone with it. But it would be cheap, readily available and able to use any road or cabbage patch just about anywhere. With good command&control it could fly ambush cap or point defence and maybe get off a few lucky shots.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to run away from anyone with it. But it would be a difficult target for a modern jet fighter: low heat emission, low radar signature, small and higly maneuverable. I believe it might be able to dodge a jet until it runs out of fuel.
Jul 03, 2017, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
No doubt it's maneuverability could give it a deadly edge on most combat jets. There are some F&F missiles that could be fitted, BUT, rag & tubers wouldn't like that missile's flash with Stitts covering or any such substitute.

Quick Reply