Jul 02, 2017, 02:34 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Build Log

Rocky Landings Schweizer TG-3A

The time has come again for me to do another build thread.

I have received the distinct honor of building a prototype kit (Schweizer TG-3A) from Rocky Landings.

Rocky Landings is a new manufacturer of EPP kits, located here in southern Idaho.

The owner built two prototype versions of the TG-3A; a polyhedral, elevator/rudder version and a straight wing, rudder/elevator/aileron version.

I had the opportunity to fly the R/E/A version and I didn't want to give the transmitter back. It was love at first flight.

I would characterize this particular glider as a light to medium lift ship. It was very agile and had the best inverted performance I've experienced in a slope glider.

It features 1.3 lb EPP, a 60" span and an SD7037 airfoil.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Jul 23, 2017 at 02:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2017, 03:13 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

Kit Contents

The includes the following:

3 piece wing with beds, 2 piece fuselage (1.3 EPP), balsa tail feathers/trailing edge stock, solid carbon wing spar and carbon arrow shaft for fuselage.

Instructions and pictures will also be included.

Please keep in mind that I will be building a prototype kit, so I may have errors and/or omissions.

Rest assured, the design is solid, it's a wonderful flier.

The prototype used Delpron for the tail feathers to keep it as light as possible. This may be an option if the builder prefers a very light build.

I received 1/4" balsa for the tail feathers, which I prefer for additional strength and stiffness.

I promised John I would keep the build as light as possible. My goal is to use this glider for lighter conditions 10-20 mph and thermal.

One feature that is unique to this kit is the spar cutout is on the bottom of the wing. The wing comes in three pieces, a center section and two outboard sections.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Jul 02, 2017 at 03:27 AM.
Jul 02, 2017, 03:44 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

First steps

Got the ball rolling by gluing the fuselage cuts (from the wing cutout process) and wing out board panel with goop.

I still have not decided exactly how I will do the radio installation. The battery/receiver and Rudd/Elev. servos will be removable though.

The wing servos will be glued in the wing with some extra wire in case I need to replace one.

The elevator will be a HS 81, Rudder either a HS 55 or HS 81 and the ailerons will be HS 55's.

The prototype's had a removable canopy with the nose routed out for radio installation and access. I'm trying to maintain as much solid foam as possible in the nose for impact protection.
Jul 02, 2017, 02:14 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Left outboard wing section is now attached.

The wing beds, top and bottom were still attached, one piece so I used a razor knife to cut down the center of the leading edge of beds to separate.

This allows using the top beds to assemble the wing upside down.

Also before I glued the wing sections together, I carefully glued the top beds together to ensure that when the wing was placed in the beds the sections were properly aligned.

When gluing the wing together use a piece of spar material to align the spar slot.

I also use liberal pieces of tape, both top and bottom to hold the wing sections together while goop is drying.

Double check for proper wing mating top and bottom before weighting down in beds.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Jul 02, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
Jul 03, 2017, 07:56 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Attaching 1/8 X 1/4 X 24" basswood sub-trailing edge.
Jul 03, 2017, 09:39 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

Wing Spar

Assembled the wing spar, used spring steel roll pin for joiner and JB weld. Same method as the Fat Albert.

The steel roll pins work very well, they are strong and allow the excess JB weld to escape.

I had to sand the 5 mm solid carbon spars a bit to get them to fit in the spar joiner.
Jul 05, 2017, 09:33 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

Servo installation preview

Slowly working out the servo installation.

I was trying to figure out a way to install the elev/rud servos so I could still remove and replace if necessary.

I decided not to cut the canopy off and install through the top which is how the plans show.

I want to maintain as much strength as possible in the forward fuselage area. Also I usually do things the hard way on my builds.

Tried several different servo arrangements and decided to just go for it.

The 1/8" ply mounts are set in flush.

It probably doesn't make a lot of sense now but it will later.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Jul 05, 2017, 10:16 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Thinking something like this.
Jul 06, 2017, 11:52 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
I'm getting there.

A lot of free style foam cutting.

There will be three hatches, one for each servo and one for the battery/receiver.
Jul 07, 2017, 12:57 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Installed foam plugs in servo holes.
Jul 08, 2017, 10:49 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Taking a break from the fuselage now and back on the wing.

The radio installation is pretty much worked out.

On the wing I used 1/8" x 1/4" basswood for the sub trailing edge.

Pictures show rear slice made from scrap TE spar material.

Next will be the main spar installation.
Jul 09, 2017, 12:15 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Wing spar is in. Used gorilla white glue.

Will fill in spar slot with another application of white glue.

Normally I use goop on the spar but I'm trying to keep the weight down.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Jul 09, 2017 at 12:42 AM.
Jul 09, 2017, 03:27 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Spar is in and filled.

I waited a little to long to trim and sand the white glue, so it required more effort but it turned out fine.

Next I will add a short piece of carbon for an aft spar.
Jul 09, 2017, 03:45 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

Aft Spar

I will be adding an aft spar also.

This is a hollow carbon spar I had in my stock pile.

One thing I wanted to mention is, if you use gorilla white glue to attach spar make sure you put a piece of wax paper between the wing and bed.

The white glue finds all the voids in the foam when it expands will glue the wing to the beds.
Jul 09, 2017, 05:08 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Aft spar is installed.

Used an approximately 5mm hollow carbon tube, 16" long.

It is positioned 1.75" forward of the sub trailing edge.

Remember, this is a fairly thin wing so it's important to support it in the wing beds when installing the spars.

As before I put a piece of wax paper between the wing and bed.

Both the main and aft spar are installed in the bottom of the wing.

The designer wanted to ensure that the top of the wing profile was maintained as accurately as possible.

Quick Reply